Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: October 2021

Was your October all laughs and giggles, or did it have a little spookiness to it?  Fright can happen while watching a movie, sitting in the dark, or using a beauty product that scared you silly.  Here, we can share our beauty fears.

Makeup-on-Shelf.jpg

Re: Monthly Misses: October 2021

super nice products

Dior Dior Vernis Gel Shine and Long Wear Nail Lacquer Cosmopolite 785 

CLINIQUE All About Clean™ Foaming Facial Soap 5 oz/ 150 mL 

This month I'm returning the Mario Badescu Witch Hazel & Rosewater Toner 8 oz/ 236 mL . It smelled lovely and rosey but after I used it, I woke up to breakouts all over my face. I have not had a blemish in years. I also don't have sensitive skin and tolerate new products really well so this was kind of shocking. The whiteheads were easily cleared but there was one closed blemish at the top of my forehead that refused to come to a head for over a week which is also something I've never experienced, both the timing and this area on my forehead. This stuff might as well be satan's toner as far as I'm concerned. I did a little research after and discovered this brand also added steroids to a facial cream without disclosing this in the ingredients list. So MB is a scary brand in my books, stay away ☠️ At least it reminded me I can always make my own lovely smelling toner!

@pocketvenus Oh my goodness, what an awful experience!! I've never bought anything from the Mario Badescu brand but I was tempted a few times because I thought the products would be similar to The Ordinary. Guess I'll just stick to the latter 😬

@Guessgal Definitely very different! I've never had a bad reaction to The Ordinary 🙂 When I read up on MB on reddit it seems this is just a sketchy brand so test before buying!

@pocketvenus MB gets a pretty bad rap from any derm review that I've ever read.  Their products are cheap because their formulations are pretty trashy 🤢.

Oh, no! Sounds like such a disaster, @pocketvenus. ☹️

@curlychiquita Yes, I've come across a lot of skincare duds but this was something else! 😱 It's okay, everything is healed now!

@pocketvenus I don't think I've ever seen a MB with a good review on beautypedia.

@greeneyedgirl107 sigh, it serves me right for not researching beforehand! I just figured, how can you screw up a toner??

@pocketvenus It never ceases to amaze me how companies can make products that are harmful to skin!

I have been trying so hard to love the Volition Beauty Detoxifying Silt Gelee Mask 2 oz/ 60 ml but I feel like it’s done nothing for me. It leaves a slight oily feeling on my face after washing it off which I strongly dislike. I’m unsure if it’s actually causing me to breakout but it certainly doesn’t seem to detoxify at any rate. I think I have resigned to give up on it. Maybe I’ll use it on my body just because I prefer not to be wasteful. 

@lnum that's sad to hear, it's one of my faves! But sometimes your skin just hates something - good idea to use it on your body! 

IMG_20211027_072240762.jpg

Can't tag this product,, ughhhh I knew the reviews were mixed, but dang it, I really wanted to love it,,, it is far too strong scented unfortunately, it also goes on dark hair and looks like white spray paint. We prefer a product that smells good that's not too strong and doesn't spray out white. Oribe Mini Gold Lust Dry Shampoo 1.3 oz/ 62 mL is still my all time favorite!!

@lmaster the dark hair dry shampoo battle is always the worst lol. Sad to hear this wasn't a winner - I feel like they do cream so well, but the hair products seem to be a no overall. 

@Kim888 yeah I'm thinking they need to stick to the body products

I agree the scent is definitely too strong @lmaster 

I can't even breathe when I spray it 😔 @faeriegirl 

The Grace Eleyae Adjustable Slap Cap didn't work as well for me as the original.  Here's my review:

I didn't like this as much as the original I kept having a hard time getting this on my head at the right spot. The part that is supposed to go at the back (where the ties are hidden) kept getting misaligned onto the side when I put it on. I also found it difficult to guide where I needed it to be because the tag was on the side. (The original one has the tag in the front, so it was easy to position correctly.)
Once I got this cap on, I pulled the strings and I heard a squeaky sound like styro-foam next to my ears. When I laid my head down on my pillow, I heard more squeaking from the heftier cap. This was a total no-go for me.
I prefer the original, but I can see how others would prefer one that is more adjustable. Of course, I was also resistant to the ties because they were hidden in a pocket, and because I was afraid they'd tickle my neck while I sleeping.
I also wish the colors were more fun or that there were prints (like a black and white polka dot or something).

Sorry that you did not like my recommendation @greeneyedgirl107. My caps have the label on the front so I don’t have a problem with placement. I did attempt to adjust the ties and it slipped of my head overnight. I have an outdoor cap for the winter and the adjustable ties are in the same location.

@Loretta55 Hey - to each her own.  I'm happy at least one of them worked for me.  I've really been enjoying the original.  ❤️

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 151 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos2
  • Makeup-on-Shelf.jpg
  • IMG_20211027_072240762.jpg
testing