Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: November 2021

Another month has gone by, and it might have been filled with some beauty misses.  This is a place for us to reflect on which items just didn't live up to expectations.  

download.jpe

Share your experiences here.  It will let us know what you've been trying, and maybe steer others in a better direction.

Re: Monthly Misses: November 2021

My November Misses are more intangible rather than product based:

1. Companies using courier services rather than USPS to ship to Canada (broadly speaking). 

And relatedly, 2. Canada's low customs cut-off. 

I would much rather wait a few days to receive my package (plus not have to go to the depot to pick up, since we have a Canada post locker in our building), than have to go through the hassle of self-clearing my packages. I'm all good to pay the Canadian customs and duty, fair enough, but the brokerage fee is outrageous!! This time it was more than double what the duty was!! Canada Post largely just charges a $10 broker fee, if they even do charge anything. Also, Canada's protectionism around importing things is so outdated. 

There were a few this month:

Screenshot 2021-11-30 153222.jpg

Please don't buy the Ulta brand Strawberry scented nail polish remover.  Love the concept but it doesn't smell like strawberry and even worse--IT DOESN'T REMOVE MY NAIL POLISH!!!

f950748eed7fcc55d910f85b78207b4831f390a2_original.jpeg

For years I've heard how great the Missha BB cream is but sadly it runs WAY too gray for me to even try and make it work.

ROSE_QUARTZ_PALETTE_0820-01e24b0d3c714f82810047787675e10f.jpg

Don't come for me, y'all, but the HUDA BEAUTY Rose Quartz Eyeshadow Palette just didn't do it for me.  I bought it and every time I tried to wear it I always ended up wishing that I'd used something else; I'm not the biggest fan of Huda's eyeshadow formula and even though I wanted to love this, it totally missed the mark for me.  Thankfully it's now in the hands of someone else who's enjoying it much more than I did, so it wasn't a total loss.

Screenshot_20211014-094951.png

I'm giving this product a miss for this month, however, let me explain. I ordered it online from Ulta,, I get the box open and it's leaking, I didn't stop that from trying it. The scent is great, however this says mousse, and I'm not sure if it's from being shipped, but the product does not come out as mousse in any way, more like a watery bubbly mixture. Idk if that's how it's supposed to be, I still used it and try to mix it with a different mousse because the product is decent, the extraction method is off, and the way it looks, it just doesn't mousse and puff up. 

@lmaster  I would be concerned it would just make my hair look wet instead of smooth.  Glad you found a way to make it work.

@Ispend2much6 its so confusing this product, I almost guarantee that the travel being shipped somehow messed up the foaming agent, idk 😐

My miss this month was Saie Slip Tint Dewy Tinted Moisturizer Three . I knew this would be light coverage, but it didn’t cover anything. I had to return it.

@faeriegirl   I wish this had worked for me, but it didn't either.  Somehow, some way, I am allergic to it.  Made my face burn and get red.

Awww sorry it wasn't enough coverage 😔 @faeriegirl I love you use it in the summer

Here are mine Supergoop! PLAY Everyday Lotion SPF 50 I got this in a travel kit. I usually never have issues with sunscreens that I try but this one for some reason did not get along with my skin. After applying it all over my face and neck I felt my skin feel irritated and itchy all over about 20 minutes or so after. I applied it yesterday and today it still doesn’t feel well.  My neck was red. 

54 Thrones AFRICAN Beauty Butter- Intensive Dry Skin Treatment It was too thick like putting Vaseline all over my hands. Too greasy for my liking. 

@SportyGirly125 , @sister13 ,

I'm glad that I tried 54 Thrones AFRICAN Beauty Butter- Intensive Dry Skin Treatment .  It's very different, it's thick, but I like it.  I have only tried the unscented version, so far, but I can see myself buying it in another scent, too.  It doesn't remind me of vaseline at all, though.  This unscented version feels luxurious to me.  So, opinions may vary.  

@itsfi introduced 54 Thrones African Beauty Butter to BIC in the Hauls Thread, and I'm grateful that she did. The unscented version is available at Nordstrom.

@tsavorite, I’m so happy to hear you are liking the 54 Thrones. I agree with you that it’s not for everyone, to be expected. I’ve been keeping a tube in my purse and desk at work; gotta keep these hands moisturized. 

@tsavorite Good to know.  The texture was thick and reminded me of Vaseline or Aquaphor.

Sorry these didn’t work out for you. Hmm, I haven’t tried the 54 Thrones Butter yet, I was looking forward to it, but will temper my expectations! @SportyGirly125 

@sister13 If you can try a sample first that would probably be best.  I have dry skin and it just didn't feel right for me.

@SportyGirly125 oh no!! Sorry to hear that about supergoop, I've not tried that product, so thanks for the info!! I totally agree with that variation of the butter, I tried to use it two times and it was the worst feeling, have you tried any of the other versions?

@lmaster I just tried the ones from the Sephoria box. The 2 scents that I got were a no go.  I was pretty bummed about the Supergoop sunscreen it sounded promising. 

@SportyGirly125 did they both have that greasy feeling?

@lmaster @Yea both of them had the greasy feeling 🙁

@SportyGirly125 ughhh that's disappointing

@SportyGirly125  I didn’t like the 54 Thrones butter at all, it was way too greasy.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 247 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
Photos5
  • download.jpe
  • Screenshot_20211014-094951.png
  • Screenshot 2021-11-30 153222.jpg
  • f950748eed7fcc55d910f85b78207b4831f390a2_original.jpeg
  • ROSE_QUARTZ_PALETTE_0820-01e24b0d3c714f82810047787675e10f.jpg
testing