Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: March 2023

It's that time of the month again!  Time to leave cautionary tales of what just didn't work out for you.  Shout it out!

the-best-beauty-products-we-tried-in-september-tout-6d7e514c26bf47a696b7c24fe113efd3.jpg

Re: Monthly Misses: March 2023

If it smells like sunscreen, @CorgiMommy, I can totally understand. It’s just not a good scent 😆 

@CorgiMommy the scent of a product will absolutely turn me off from buying or using a product.  Sorry that this one was a fail!

I may have a couple @greeneyedgirl107😗

Don't keep us in suspense @eshoe 😉 now I'm curious 🙈

Ha ha @CynthieLu! Doing a round up 😉

I tried a BUNCH of new hair products this month.  Maybe 9 or 10?  I think I only found 2 winners out of all of them 🙄.

Oof, @CookieGirl1 - that’s a lot! Especially for such dismal results 😕

@CookieGirl1 do tell more!

@greeneyedgirl107 I picked up several things from Sally's--the Sauce Beauty Guacamole Whip mask, an Ion Repair conditioner/shampoo duo, and the Sebastian No 9 leave in--and those were failures.  Tried the Eva NYC Deep Moisture Mask and that dried my hair out entirely, and I wasn't impressed with the Davines Melu heat protectant.  I think that maybe the only thing that's new to me and actually worked out is the #Virtue Hydrating & Heat Protectant Healing Hair Oil 1.7 oz/ 50 mL.  

@CookieGirl1 hope you didn't get too discouraged!  

@greeneyedgirl107 nah, I legit love trying new hair products.  There will be more...😂

I love your attitude @CookieGirl1 🥰 it's not fun if your not trying new things 😉

Sorry to hear about you misses thou! 

So far this month I have one miss, I may have more come up next week depending how my skin reacts!

My eye cream hasnt been doing the greatest job lately so I decided to try a deluxe sample of Shiseido Benefiance Wrinkle Smoothing Eye Cream 0.51 oz/ 15 mL and woke up the next day with milia under my one eye, how disappointing. I did not bother trying it another night and instead tried a deluxe sample of the Chantecaille stress repair concentrate and that has been 100000x better.

I'm sorry that's no fun to wake up too @sabrinas

I'm glad you found something much better and so quickly too 😊 

@sabrinas  Aww darn. Glad you had another one that worked out!

OK, so I think I have the longest list of misses ever this month.

First up is shu uemura Essence Absolue Nourishing Protective Hair Oil 5 oz/ 150 mL .  Tagging @CynthieLu about this one.  The first time I used it, it was transformative.  I didn't know that my hair could look that good.  It was like someone else's hair.  The second and third times I used it, it gave me results that were consistent with how my hair usually looks.  I think the first time was a total fluke.  I would have liked to have tried it again, but I each time I used it I found the scent to be stronger and stronger.  For some reason scents for hair oils really bother me.  It lasted for days, and I figured I was just better off with my usual hair oil.  Of course I returned this just over 30 days after purchase so I didn't get my credit card refunded.  I've said it before: I don't care for the 30 day return policy! 

The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL I thought this would be good either as a hair oil for dry hair, or as a pre-treatment hair oil.  Turns out, it wasn't good for either.  It was thicker than I'd expected and didn't spread well.  My hair didn't look sleek.  So, I figured that this could still work as a pre-treatment oil.  Not so.  I didn't notice anything different after using it as a pre-treatment.

Grande Cosmetics GrandeHAIR Enhancing Serum 0.67 oz / 20 mL I've lost hair along my hairline which is a story I'm a little too tired to go into right now.  I tried Nioxin but my experience wasn't good.  Enter this product.  I didn't think it would do much, but it was worth a shot and I didn't care about wasting money.  Unfortunately, I didn't read the ingredient list well enough.  This had alcohol in it (what kind, I don't know since the label didn't specify) and that scared me off.  The Nioxin was super drying to my hairline, and I didn't want to go through that again.  Couple that with the high scent due to the plethora of needless EO at the end of the ingredient list, and I was just turned off by this product.  I stopped using it very quickly.

Aquaphor Lip Repair Stick: I love traditional Aquaphor for my lips, but I thought it might be good to have something a little less substantial.  The reason is that I often want to kiss my cats, but don't b/c I have Aquaphor Healing Ointment on my lips and would wind up with a mouthful of cat hair.  SO, I thought this might work.  I just didn't like the texture.  It didn't glide on evenly, and I had to push it back and forth many times before I felt like I got enough product on.  It had a balmy feel.  

Peace Out Peace Out Oil-Absorbing Pore Treatment Strips was a product I picked up recently.  The long and the short of it is that it was stickier than I thought, and I got scared that it would damage my skin a la Biore strips.  The strip wasn't on for long.  See my thread Hydrocolloidal Patches for Blackheads for some issues I've been having, and the WONDERFUL input @WinglessOne gave me about hydrocolloidal patches.  (When I have more access to a desktop, I will reply to you in detail with more praise and thanks about your great info and kind words!  My husband works from home, and it's not often that I get to be on the desktop.  For more than a line or two, I prefer the desktop to BIC mobile.)  

@greeneyedgirl107  D'oh, I missed this til now. I'm glad I could help you! 🙂 

Also, I don't like that Aquaphor Lip Repair Stick at all. I don't remember how long ago I tried it, but I did so knowing it might not work well for me because it contains no petrolatum—and my fussy dry lips demand petrolatum. I shouldn't have bothered at all with that lip balm but, well, lesson learned, or more like lesson confirmed. 

I can't think of any lip balm that doesn't attract cat hair... or any lipstick for that matter, aside from maybe the desert driest liquid mattes. And even then, I suspect cat hair would find a way to stick to a liquid matte. All cat owners minions know it's one of the most gets-everywhere substances in the known universe. 😂 

Be gentle❤️, My first time on here. I too am a Fur Baby Mom and hair on my Lips is a “pet” peeve to say the least (Pun intended) & the ONLY product that I have found which I stumbles across & is not @ Sephora, sadly, is Lime Crime Ghost Veil. Apply, but not too thick or thin, you’ll know… (I use it outside my natural lip line) let sit for 3-4 min & then apply liner and any lipstick or Lip Matte & voila, NO cracking or caking, just all day lip and you can apply the Veil later in the day if lips feel dry, no need to wipe off, just apply and then add more color of your choice and then kisses galore without Fur Babies DNA all over! It is an awesome product and I have tried any and everything that SAYS it does what Ghost Veil does but NO luck. It is the only product I buy there so I can not speak to other items but it is worth it. I hope you like it as much as I do & friends have purchased as well & no one has said anything but “Nice find!” So Good Luck doll and thank you for your reviews!! Details are awesome and the why and why not for you is so helpful!! 

What a bummer about the Shu, @greeneyedgirl107. Unfortunately I have had that happen as well (and purchased the FS products based on first-time use). I hope next month is better for you!

Aww, man, sorry you had a major miss month @greeneyedgirl107 .

@Anonymous7 I'm so sorry to hear about all your misses! Uuuugh that #shu uemura Essence Absolue Nourishing Protective Hair Oil 5 oz/ 150 mL sounds so devastating, too work less and less as time went on, I feel for your frustration ‌💔

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • the-best-beauty-products-we-tried-in-september-tout-6d7e514c26bf47a696b7c24fe113efd3.jpg
  • 21A68A79-4673-4C6B-9DDD-29FE96251DF8.jpeg
  • 55C8D299-AD8E-464F-A479-888546C59262.jpeg
  • IMG_3041.jpeg
  • IMG_3043.jpeg
testing