Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: March 2021

I wish every month could be full of holy grail, to-die-for, super duper products.  But not every beauty item works for every person.  This is a place for us to share our product fails, be they big or small.  It could be a lip color that didn't last, a moisturizer that didn't moisturize, shampoo that was a sham...The insight can be helpful for others, and cathartic for ourselves.

istockphoto-1163013366-612x612.jpg

Re: Monthly Misses: March 2021

I tried the Sephora Collection Best Skin Ever foundation and it was AWFUL for me.  I just couldn't get it to layer nicely with my other face products.  Super cakey/streaky and just BAD.  Was a definite return for me.  It has good reviews too so I guess it was just a miss for me.  I use Vitamin C (The Ordinary) and moisturizer on my face in the morning before my makeup and haven't had a problem with other foundations.

I have been struggling with hair product buildup so I decided to try Virtue Clarifying & Exfoliating Scalp Treatment 5.0 oz/ 150 mL  and it dried out my hair like crazy after only 1 use. I even used a deep conditioning hair mask after! so disappointed 

I finally ordered the Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation since it was on sale. I’ve always heard great things about it. It looked terrible on me. I had to return it. 

@faeriegirl @This foundation never worked for me either! I love the new futurist foundation they released (they reformulated because the old one was awful). Sadly, the futurist doesn’t have as large of a shade range as the double wear and there wasn’t one light enough for me that had neutral undertones, not pink undertones. 

@faeriegirl I tried it once and it was ok. Not my favorite.

In the first few uses I thought it was a hit, but then I realized that Living Proof Curl Shampoo 12 oz/ 355 mL was leaving my hair pretty dry. I had to compensate with extra conditioner to get the slip my waves need.

SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Sea Weed Mask 1 Mask Worst sheet mask I have ever attempted to use. The mask sheet was like rubber, it snapped back and didn’t even fit on the face. The mask smelled so heavily of men’s cologne, I had to wash my face and towel after attempting to use it. 

The INKEY List Turmeric Brightening Moisturizer 1 oz/ 30 mL #

Think I might be allergic to some combination of the ingredients in this one because I had the weird itchy skin reaction a few times when I used this so eventually I tossed it halfway through.

When I started this thread, I thought about how this might be a month of no "misses" or "mehs" for me.  But then I realized that I had a huge miss.  A miss so big that it probably didn't spring to mind because I was blocking it out.  My classic ghd flat iron (purchased in April of 2009) finally gave out.  I love that flat iron dearly b/c it gave such perfect results.  So, I did a casual search of flat irons but of course replaced it with another one, ghd Classic 1" Inch Styler .  

Very long story short, this new one can't hold a candle to the old one.  It's less weighty than the previous one, and just seems a bit chintzy.  I really don't care about all that - I just want good performance.  BUT, it doesn't glide through my hair effortlessly.  It doesn't hold onto my ends or the thinner wispy hairs I have that frame my face.  It doesn't make my hair look as flat or as sleek or as shiny.  It doesn't even make it as straight.

I'm at a loss.  I don't know what to try next.  If the company that I loved passionately can't provide an adequate flat iron, where do I go from here?  $150 isn't what I'd call an investment, but I expected more.  If my hair isn't how I like it, I get seriously down.  And I need my flat iron desperately - my hair doesn't look good in it's natural form.

I guess I'll try T3 next.  I think I'll try the more expensive one, b/c in my mind I have a better chance if I spend more money.  Then, maybe Bio Ionic.  After that, I really don't know.  

For reference, my hair is very thick, naturally rather wavy and as such is quite frizz-prone and dry.  The flat iron was my saving grace.

@greeneyedgirl107 I wanted to love it but it made my hair worse the more times I used it Sol de Janeiro Triple Brazilian Butter™ Hair Repair Treatment Mask 8.0 oz/ 238 mL 

@SportyGirly125 Oh no!  I *hate* it when that happens!

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 72 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
Photos1
  • istockphoto-1163013366-612x612.jpg
testing