Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: June 2022

I can't believe June is coming to a close!  Seems like we just got started.  Anyhow, with peaches come pits, and beauty products are no exception.  Sound off on products you tried that just didn't hit the sweet spot.  It's part of the adventure!

images.jpe

Re: Monthly Misses: June 2022

Two more misses

IMG_20220626_165222087.jpg

IMG_20220626_165227687.jpg

 i don't like this formula at all, it fades so very quickly and leaves my lips dried out!! 

IMG_20220627_211749393.jpg

 not sure why I thought this would be a good scent 🤦 I should of went with my instincts and given it to my husband to use at his work. 

I've battled congestion, on my cheeks in particular, but anywhere on my face is fair game from time to time, for years. Small little bumps, just under the surface, and a bevy of blackheads to go with them. They never come to a head, but they never go away either. If I squeezed one, two more showed up, so I got better about just leaving them be, and I have been through all manner of routine changes trying to narrow down the culprit. I even bought a Dermapore to help tease them to the surface. I think I finally found it though, and I am sooooo dismayed by this twist: fatty alcohols, like in CeraVe moisturizers 😯 I've used the PM Moisturizer or the Daily Moisturizer off and on for years, and always assumed they weren't the culprit, but I finally decided to cut both of them out (and more specifically, to use only moisturizers without said fatty alcohols), and within a month or so, nearly all congestion is gone, and my blackheads are minimal to nonexistent now. I'm thrilled that I've finally got that knocked out, but hate that I've lost CeraVe as a staple 🤨

@RGbrown  Oh wow, if I had to avoid fatty alcohols, I'd have to cut a lot of skincare products (and not just CeraVe) from my routine. For instance, I'd have to ditch some Paula's Choice products too. Also some makeup, though that'd be easier for me since I don't wear cream/liquid foundation. Sorry you're having to avoid that set of ingredients! 

@WinglessOne 

I finally did something just now that I've been meaning to do for a bit, and compared CeraVe to some of the other moisturizers I've been trying lately. It looks like I've pretty well cut out caprylic/capric triglycerides as well, which is the third ingredient in both formulations I was using, just above the fatty alcohols, so I guess I'm not 100% certain it's the fatty alcohols themselves that were the culprit, but the end result has been so flipping fantastic that I'm gonna continue this course as long as it works! 

I also have a few misses this month @greeneyedgirl107 😔 Overose Euphoriasme Purple Candle its not terrible,,, it's just more of an artificial sweet scent that I'm not in love with unfortunately!! 

Atelier cologne iris rebelle huge miss,, I bought this quite awhile ago, now I know why I never wore it,,, this is not a scent I would ever wear, but it was a blind buy, good thing is I can layer others on top to make it better. 

Two more misses to come! Stay tuned! 

My miss this month is Redken Extreme Lengths shampoo. I can’t stand the scent. 

Both my misses (so far) are sunscreens. Tagging @snoflakefaerie as promised about feedback on my Ulta GWP sunscreen samples. 

Pipette Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50 - A scentless, non-tinted, 20% zinc oxide sunscreen that’s water based and contains squalane. (Anyone who finds squalane too emollient/greasy and heavy on their skin probably won’t like this sunscreen. To me, it feels moisturizing but not as heavy as, say, The Ordinary’s or Biossance’s 100% squalane.) It left a moderate white cast on my medium-deep skin tone; powder foundation was enough to mask it. Unfortunately this sunscreen made my forehead very itchy right after application. The itchiness lasted 30 minutes. I also wasn’t thrilled about how streaky this sunscreen was on my face, no matter how long I tried to blend it out. I won’t use it on my face again. 

Today I’m testing it on one arm as a body sunscreen. It made my arm slightly itchy for the first 5 minutes of wear. It’s been fine since then, but I suspect I’ll get itchy again if my arm sweats. (Guess I'll have to actually exercise today to find out. 😫) It doesn’t look streaky at all on my arm, nor is there any noticeable cast there. And my arm feels moisturized but not sticky or greasy. So, I’ll call Pipette’s sunscreen a face failure but a potential candidate as body sunscreen. 

CoTZ Face Prime & Protect Tinted SPF 40 Sunscreen - How can a mineral sunscreen (3.8% zinc oxide + 8% titanium dioxide) with this deep a tint leave such a terrible white cast? Here's a photo from the day I tested it. I avoided my eye area once I saw how hard this sunscreen was to blend out. (I later applied Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen around my eyes instead.) 

misses-2022-june-cotz-primer - 1.jpeg

I expected a matte finish, but not matte enough for my skin to look and feel very dry, even on my oily zone. I’ve seen people describe this sunscreen’s texture as a silky silicone, but my DS has a mousse texture that’s definitely not what I’d call a silicone feel. Maybe it’s a batch issue, I dunno, but I won’t buy a full size tube to find out. I like a different CoTZ sunscreen, but this one’s an insult. 

On a positive note, it does have a grippy feel, so I guess it might work for some people as a foundation primer, especially for those who love a matte finish. After taking that selfie, I applied a tinted moisturizer plus a powder foundation over it to mask the cast. The resulting finish was still much too matte for me. I might try it as an SPF eyeshadow primer, though I fear it’ll dry out my eyelids. 

@WinglessOne 

Which Cotz is it that you like? I adore the prime & protect, but agree it's not a silky finish with that kinda dry/velvet mousse texture it has going on. I tried the Total Moisture at one point and didn't like it nearly as much, it just felt slick on the surface of my (oily) skin, but Prime & Protect helps balance my oiliness a bit, at least for a while (though shine doesn't bother me much, I've embraced the fact that I can make my own natural glow, so I never pay close attention to how long it takes to break through 😋)

@RGbrown  I like the CoTZ Sensitive sunscreen: it's pretty much invisible on my skin tone and, because it's a thick mineral sunscreen, it doesn't make my eyes sting. The tradeoff is its thick greasy texture, which I know some folks hate. I'm not a fan of that either, so I don't often use this sunscreen on my face during summer. (I use it on my body instead.) But in the winter, my facial skin appreciates that extra layer of protection against windburn and subzero dehydration. 

Still, I don't recommend the Sensitive sunscreen for oily skin. I imagine it wouldn't feel very nice atop oily skin. I mean, it makes my mostly-dry combo skin look greasy enough that I always powder it down (usually with a translucent powder, Hourglass AL powders, or an SPF powder) to tame the shine. That doesn't make it feel less heavy on my skin, of course, which isn't as big a deal in winter but drives me nuts in summer—except on my body skin, where I don't notice it much. 

I can see Prime & Protect working well for oily skin, even though it was terrible on my own oily zone. Dry skin won't like that sunscreen. Neither will some combo skin types, like mine. And anyone my skin tone or deeper will have cast issues with it, unless they plan to wear full coverage foundation over it. 

@WinglessOne 

I actually have a tube of the Sensitive and am working on hate panning it on my body. It's so thick, I can practically get winded just trying to rub it into my arms 😋 I tried it once on my face, ugh, what a greasy mess 😖 I could absolutely see where drier folks (or even just folks with normal skin in drier climates) would like it though! 

Thank you @WinglessOne I really appreciate this. I didn't realize the Cotz had so many silicones in it! I tried their sensitive skin one years ago and found it didn't rub in very easily. It doesn't seem like they have figured out that issue completely yet. 

I ended up getting a sample of the Pipette in a different GWP recently. I'm curious how my skin will respond given your reaction. I appreciate your review!

@snoflakefaerie  Geez, I could swear I replied to this comment... I must've been on my phone at the time and either didn't tap "post" or got a session timeout—and then forgot to come back and reply once home in front of my laptop. 🤦‍♀️ 

Anyway, do let me know how the Pipette sunscreen work for you. I'm also curious how your skin will respond to it. I wonder which ingredient(s) irritated my skin... it contains 2 good skin soothers (bisabolol and gooseberry), plus squalane, and my skin normally likes all 3 of those. I'll have to pick through the INCI list again and do some ingredient comparisons with other products to figure this out. The itchiness surprised me: I didn't expect my skin to react at all to this sunscreen. Huh. 

And yeah, CoTZ Sensitive sunscreen can take some effort to apply, mostly because it's so dang greasy feeling. CoTZ has a baby sunscreen I've never tried; its ingredients are identical to their Sensitive sunscreen, but who knows if the formulations are different at all. 

It was a busy month for beauty misses for me.  The one I was most disappointed in was Kerastase Nutritive 8H Magic Night Serum Hydrating Treatment (for some reason I can't tag it).  I think it was @CookieGirl1 who reported that it was a miss a while back b/c it didn't do anything.  I figured at the very worst it wouldn't do anything for me.  Unfortunately, it left my hair dry.  Now, I'm suffering from a bad hair week!  I've tried two different types of oils and nothing is working.  The funny thing was that I liked how it made my hair look when I applied it to dry hair.  It smoothed everything out and made my ends and layers more defined/choppy in a very good way.  If anyone knows of a product that can do this as a regular styling product to apply to dry hair (not as a pre-shampoo treatment, just for day to day use) then please let me know.

I tried Burt's Bees Gentle Facial Scrub b/c the last few scrubs I tried were way too gritty for me.  I went against my better judgment and tried a scrub marketed to be "gentle" which is generally a red flag in my opinion b/c they're usually too wimpy.  This one was barely a scrub at all.  The little scrubbers were few and far between.

I've posted many times that my fave scrub is philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Facial Wash.  But I like the version that was made many, many years ago.  Since I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement, I bought their latest version with hopes that it would be acceptable.  The diatomaceous earth was a little fine for my taste, but I thought it might have promise.  Unfortunately, the smell was way too strong.  I'm concerned all the fragrance/EOs will lead to microtears which I experienced from other iterations of this product.  

@greeneyedgirl107 , these are by far the most gentle but very effective exfoliating cleanser’s I have used. Dr. Brandt Skincare microdermabrasion age defying exfoliator 2 oz/ 60 g amd Dermalogica Daily Milkfoliant Exfoliator 2.6 oz / 74 g . I have normal but sensitive skin and never have any irritation with either of these.

@makeupjunkie65 I will definitely look into them!  Thanks!

@greeneyedgirl107 side note: do you think that Burt's bees products are worth it? We don't have them here, but I always hear bloggers talk about them on youtube so I'm curious to know if the hype is real or not.

@Skunk12puzzola I thought the cleanser part was crummy.  It was too gel-y.  I also tried one of their lip balms many years ago and found it to be waxy.  That's the entirety of my experience with the brand. Personally, I don't think you're missing much.

Awww, bummer, @greeneyedgirl107!  You had a few disappointments :(.  I also used to like the Philosophy face wash but I haven't tried it recently and it's too bad that it isn't as good as it used to be.

@greeneyedgirl107 I recently bought the Sephora x coach nail polish duo.  The topcoat is great but the actual nail polish is soooo streaky that not even three coats could fix it.  It’s sad cause the bottles are so pretty.  You’d think if they were selling just ONE nailpolish that it would be reliable. Good thing it’s in the sale section cause I can still justify the price for the top coat. 🙂 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 105 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos5
  • images.jpe
  • misses-2022-june-cotz-primer - 1.jpeg
  • IMG_20220626_165222087.jpg
  • IMG_20220626_165227687.jpg
  • IMG_20220627_211749393.jpg
testing