Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: January 2022

Hopefully the start of the year was lovely for you.  Beginning new routines, trying new things, maintaining good habits.  But if along the way you somehow stumbled across a product (or two) that didn't work for you, please feel free to discuss it here.  

Shipping Beauty Products Internationally - SkyPostal Blog Post Feat Image.jpg

Re: Monthly Misses: January 2022

Restocked my Aesop Reverence Aromatique Hand Balm which is sooooooo wonderfully packed with a deep and smoky vetiver and picked up a new-to-me product - the Rose By Any Other Name Body Cleanser. I never tested it because my experience with Aesop products is that they always smells great.

Wrong.

The cleanser is so expensive for a shower gel but the scent is very weak! I was so shocked! It's nice and you can definitely smell the cardamom but the rose is wan and pale. Not at all like my experience with other Aesop products. Total let down 😞 Honestly, I'd prefer to use the Korres' Jasmine shower gel or Saje's shower gels because the Goddess one is fantastic. It's not so bad that I'm going to return it but it was seriously disappointing.

fresh Sugar Advanced Therapy Treatment Lip Balm was a miss for me.  I was gifted this by a friend for Christmas after I complained about my dry lips.  Another friend also rec'd this to me. I thought it would be a slam dunk, but it wasn't.  The texture wasn't emollient enough for me.  Plus, it tasted like lemon instead of the vanilla-sugar I had read about online.  Finally, the plentiful EO made me think it would just irritate matters.  I returned it and got a store credit that I'm looking forward to using!

@greeneyedgirl107 So sorry this was a miss for you, I've been eyeing some new lip scrubs... I think I'll be avoiding this one. I am familiar with the fresh scent and it also smells more like lemon-sugar to me, personally.

@QueenMarceline Thank god I'm not the only one that detected the "lemon."

@greeneyedgirl107 No you certainly are not.

@greeneyedgirl107  I can't depend upon this for moisture either, but for me it does help seal in the other products and acts like a primer for my lipstick (when I make that effort.)  But, a credit sounds good too!

@Ispend2much6 I'm looking forward to spending it.  I haven't been in a Sephora to "shop" since before the pandemic.  I know I will just want everything.  I'm  being good for now, since I've basically given up on makeup -- once I don't have to wear my face shield anymore at work then I'll go back to my usual routine (I hope!).  And lipstick is basically not needed at this point.  Oh well, I guess I'm saving money.

@greeneyedgirl107. I've really missed lipstick. 

@greeneyedgirl107 Sorry it was a miss for you! Glad you were able to return it!

@Mellmars1185 I had to move quickly since the return policy is now so short.  I always feel so rushed when it's a gift.

Hey Honey Come Clean! Facial Scrub With Propolis & Minerals

ComeClean-NEW_1024x.png

I have to say this is a really weird entry, because I used to like this product. I liked it enough to buy it in a full size before I ran through the two samples I had of it in (big mistake). I'm on the end of my final sample and the last 3 times I've used this product it's made my skin very raw, red and sensitive. I'm very confused. It's like the "scrub" part turns into a fine-course salt on my skin now? It burns, it's irritating. I don't know if something changed in my skin or if I somehow didn't have that initial reaction with it. Maybe it has to do with the incredibly horrible cold weather my state has gotten the last week (average ~20 degrees Fahrenheit daily "high" point or lower). I'm genuinely kind of shocked. I have a full size of this that I need to return ASAP, my skin has been super acne prone the last month or so and I really need to only use products that I either know work or that are not intense at all. I'm truly taken aback as to how I ever liked this product and what changed, I'll probably never find out. I will keep the end of my last sample and maybe try to use it up in the future but... I will be returning the full size. 

@QueenMarceline  That sounds painful; I hope you get answers soon.  I gave up on physical exfoliants because of the same experience as you.  How can the abrasive particles in it not cut your skin?

@Ispend2much6 Exactly, after using this recently I started noticing visible scratches where I can see the exact outline of where the physical "particle" went. I'm really not sure what's up with this product... I actually love Hey Honey products so this was a shocker, especially after initially liking it.

@QueenMarceline It is too bad it no longer works for you. It could be a number of factors. Weather, allergies, reactions with other products. Hopefully you can narrow down what works for your skin!

@Mellmars1185 I have a dermatologist appointment because at this point my skin has been freaking out for 6+ weeks in ways it never has in the past. 

@QueenMarceline That is great! I hope that it helps you find some answers! 

@Mellmars1185 Me too, fingers crossed.

@QueenMarceline I hate it when I have a product that I *used to like and then suddenly I find that for one reason or another I don't like it anymore.  It's like, "Where did we go wrong?" 😂

@CookieGirl1 I really have no idea what happened here, maybe I placebo'd myself into liking it or my recent skin issues aren't agreeing with it. It was returned yesterday 🙂

I finally decided to grab the travel size The INKEY List Mini Oat Cleansing Balm 1.7 oz/ 50 mL after hearing so many things about it and it's a definite miss for me. I know many others love it, but unfortunately, it's just not a winner for my routine. It separates so easily, requiring shaking if I haven't used it in a couple of days. And I don't know if it's just this tube or what but it's so hard to squeeze out. I'm not a fan of the smell at all and also feel like I have to use more than I should to actually get it to remove my makeup. I'll leave it to the people who enjoy it and go back to my oils, lol. 

41 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 41 replies
  • 229 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
Photos3
  • Shipping Beauty Products Internationally - SkyPostal Blog Post Feat Image.jpg
  • IMG_20220107_213923463.jpg
  • ComeClean-NEW_1024x.png
testing