Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: January 2022

Hopefully the start of the year was lovely for you.  Beginning new routines, trying new things, maintaining good habits.  But if along the way you somehow stumbled across a product (or two) that didn't work for you, please feel free to discuss it here.  

Shipping Beauty Products Internationally - SkyPostal Blog Post Feat Image.jpg

Re: Monthly Misses: January 2022

@quspork It is quite the strange product (and agree about the separation). They say you can also use it as a hydrating mask which I sometimes do to finish it up, but it's not something I'll be replacing. 

IMG_20220107_213923463.jpg

I love a couple dp hue products, but not this one!! It does nothing for me,,, I don't see any repairing and definitely didn't feel the conditioning claim

I love eye patches (masks) and Shiseido eye masks are my favorite but they are expensive, so I've been trying out other brands and they just aren't the same. Tried Derma-E vitamin C eye patches and they were a disappointment for me. I know a lot of people love the gel patches, but I'm not a big fan. They work in a pinch though. 

So far, my only January miss—and I’ll call it a potential miss for now—is the Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Kinu Satin lipstick. I own and love other Shu Uemura lipstick formulas but hadn’t tried the Kinu Satin formula. It’s marketed as having a “silky, weightless gliding texture infused with Japanese tsubaki oil,” which is true: I like the finish a lot. But “the unique and captivating aroma of the Japanese hinoki creates a calming and soothing sensation” is only partly true: it does smell HEAVILY of hinoki wood, which would be calming if it wasn’t so dang strong in this lipstick. I like that scent (sometimes I wet down my hinoki cutting board when I’m not prepping food, just to smell it) but not directly under my nose all day. Also, this formula must contain too many fragrance components my face hates: the lipstick caused some stinging/almost-burning at the corners of my mouth. 

I’m going to (stupidly) give it another chance, though. Next time I test it, I’ll keep it out of the corners and make sure to apply a petrolatum-based barrier around the perimeter of my lips. That should help keep it off my skin. If the lipstick still causes a skin reaction or burns my actual lips (I’m surprised that didn’t happen the first time), then I’ll have to get rid of it. Either way, this will definitely be the last Kinu Satin I’ll ever buy. 

Hope that Shu lippie isn't a total flop, @WinglessOne 

Using a barrier is a good strategy. But for the price of Shu stuff, it shouldn't be necessary.

It's puzzling that cosm.co. still release products containing E.O's and other potential irritants. Are they really so tone-deaf? Maybe someday such formulations will be passé.

@MvLL  Thankfully, Shu Uemura has plenty of sales throughout the year. That helps ease the sting of a bad product. And to SU's credit, they did state upfront that this particular lipstick line has a hinoki scent. That statement should've made me pass on the Kinu Satin formula, knowing how my face generally reacts to fragrance component combos. I didn't expect the scent to be overwhelmingly strong, but I knew it'd be there, so part of that fault's on me. 

Still, it'd be nice if brands would stop loading their cosmetics and skincare with essential oils and/or lots of fragrance components. I have plenty of other scented lipsticks that don't irritate my face or trigger migraines, but I don't understand why some brands—especially those that also sell fragrances—think their makeup needs strong scents + silage. Add to that all the "clean natural beauty" brands that jam their products full of essential oils while also claiming said products contain nothing potentially harmful. 🙄 Anyone can become skin-sensitive to nearly any ingredient, so it's impossible to formulate a 100% safe-for-all beauty product unless it's, I dunno, 100% petrolatum. But geez, I wish brands would dial back the fragrance components in their makeup and skincare. 

Eh, I realize some folks enjoy the ritual of applying and experiencing heavily scented makeup and skincare. I LOVE the scent of fresh Sugar Hydrating Lip Balm Blood Orange so much, I often open the jar just to smell it without applying it. I don't wear it much because it's not hydrating or moisturizing beyond 30 - 60 minutes of application; it just smells really good. If Fresh would add some petrolatum to this stuff, then I'd wear it more often. 😂 

Seems to be on-trend (for the past decade +/-) for some 'green' cosm.brands to tout essential oils* as being a beneficial feature. @WinglessOne. Just as many 'luxe' makers have heavily perfumed their wares for decades- for Brand-synergy??

The cheerful scent of 'Mango' Fresh lip balm lifts my spirits. So I also find myself just sniffing that balm periodically. Contemplating another one, but it's still o/s. Wish they'd release a trio or quad of miniatures!

*and some E.O's have photo-toxicity aspect...arrgh another thing to screen for.

@MvLL  Fresh should sell candle versions of their potted balms. 😂 Seriously, I'd buy a blood orange candle, and the mango balm does smell lovely as well. So does the watermelon balm. I think Fresh did sell home fragrances at one point, and they might still sell candles in other countries. They're missing an opportunity here! 

Phototoxicity is the main reason I warn people not to put lemon or lime juice or oil on their face as part of any homemade skincare treatment. Margarita burn is a real thing, folks. 

@WinglessOne.  Fresh did have a decent selection of home scents & candles (in glass, with lid) in 'the last Century'. Their offerings have certainly changed over the years!

NY brand 'Red Flower' might still sell a Blood Orange candle.

@WinglessOne That is to bad! Sorry this lipstick didn't work out the first time you tried it. I hope it works the second time for you but i dont think the smell will be any different unfortunately.

@Mellmars1185  Yeah, the scent will still be an issue no matter what. Hinoki has never triggered one of my migraines, but I’ve never had to smell it right under my nose all day, so… we’ll see what happens. 

I've liked several Elemis products but I finally tried the Elemis Pro Collagen Cleansing Balm and HATED IT.  Thankfully I only had a mini but it felt like it took foreeeeever to get through it.  It felt too thick and heavy, left a residue that I had to really work to remove, didn't remove my makeup as easily as I would have liked, and the smell was obnoxious.  It's so popular with so many people but I have no idea why...

@CookieGirl1  I can't use their products because of the scent either.  I think they use a lot of essential oils in them.

@Ispend2much6  They do. This cleansing balm in particular is loaded with 'em, including two types of lavender oil because I guess one wasn't brutal enough. I don't even have to look up the product to double check; I remember checking out this balm at Ulta and laughing hysterically while reading the INCI list. 

@CookieGirl1  Sorry this didn't work for you. Ugh, I hate cleansing balms that leave a thick film behind, especially when they don't even remove makeup well. Even without the heavy obnoxious scent (and all the essential oils), a thick residue is a balm deal killer for me. 

@WinglessOne. It's such a shame. I tried Tatcha's liquid primer and it's fantastic but the lavender scent stays after application and I just can't use it 

@Ispend2much6  I don’t mind the scent of lavender (unless it’s super strong), but the skin on my face and neck is very sensitive to lavender oil. It causes an angry red rash. If a skincare product smells even faintly of lavender, I immediately know I can’t use it. The rest of my body is fine with it (and many other essential oils), but I still avoid body lotions and creams that contain lavender oil in case I mindlessly give myself facial contact dermatitis. 

@Ispend2much6 I HATE the smell of lavender!

@CookieGirl1 I thought I was the only one that didn't enjoy the scent of lavender!  

@greeneyedgirl107 nope.  I can tolerate it if it's really light or mixed with another fragrance that's stronger but it almost gives me a headache.

@CookieGirl1   I definitely don't enjoy it in my tea or food.  It's such a pretty plant though.

@Ispend2much6 I actually really like the Pro Collagen Marine Cream but the balm was definitely a no-go.

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 41 replies
  • 229 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
Photos3
  • Shipping Beauty Products Internationally - SkyPostal Blog Post Feat Image.jpg
  • IMG_20220107_213923463.jpg
  • ComeClean-NEW_1024x.png
testing