Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: August 2022

Another month has gone by, and I'm sure it had its ups and downs for everyone.  So, if you had some beauty disappoints, disasters or were just plain underwhelmed, let us know all about it.  We don't live in a perfect world, so all our products can't be winners.

images.jpe

Re: Monthly Misses: August 2022

I've seen a few people have seen sensitivity to this one, @CynthieLu. But I have sensitive eyes. I know @lmaster likes it, so maybe she has some more insight. 

@haleyvvvv I've been using the Bronze palette this week also and it's one of my few ND purchase regrets. I switched out a bunch of shades with some of the other midi palettes I own to make it a little more versatile but it's not one of my favorites. ND tends to stick too many midtone shades in her palettes sometimes. 

The best part of ND palettes is that one can swap around the shades in the similar sized ones, @makeitup305!!

The Murad has been my daytime moisturizer for the past 3 years @haleyvvvv . I am sorry that it did not work out for you. 

So good it works for you, @Loretta55!! How do you use it? I find it doesn't quite absorb and the spf gets right in my eyes.

I apply it as a moisturizer @haleyvvvv. I stocked up on it when it was featured on GMA Deals and when Ulta had a sale buy one deluxe sized item get one free. It definitely absorbs like a moisturizer and I never noticed any problems from sweating. I also use Murad City Skin Age Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 50 | PA++++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL as my sunscreen. I was recommended this combination by my BA at Sephora when I used to get Hydra Facials at Sephora. I did not see her for awhile. Prior to the pandemic she was excited to see me and she could not stop commenting about the progress that my skin undergone using the Murad products that she recommended. I miss the old program. You can not receive any form of makeup or skin care services in my state unfortunately.

I was super sad that the Living Proof Triple Bond Complex Leave-in Hair Treatment 1.5 oz / 45 mL didn't work out for me.  I had a similar experience with the K18 Biomimetic Hairscience Leave-In Molecular Repair Hair Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL; both just made my hair feel extremely dry and straw-like and STICKY.

This past winter I was hoping to get a professional Olaplex treatment @CookieGirl1. My hair stylist asked why do I feel that I need a professional Olaplex treatment because my hair is not damaged. She told me that my hair needed moisture not protein. She recommended a deep moisturizing mask and she even comped me that mask. Since she has become my hair stylist my hair has never looked better.

@Loretta55 I never really mentioned to my stylist that I used Olaplex or K18 but she ALWAYS uses something like Biolage Hydrasource when she's washing my hair.  I guess I always just assumed that there wasn't anything wrong with what I'd been using 😕.  Hair isn't my forte; I love trying new hair products but as far as the science behind hair, I'm clueless, lol.  Obviously my hair hasn't sustained any permanent damage or anything like that but I do want to focus on getting it back to a better place.

@CookieGirl1 Oh no, that sounds truly awful. This makes me worry a bit because I think you are the second or third person I've seen on the BIC share a similar sentiment about the K18 and I have one currently waiting in queue to be used from a past VIB sale. My hair certainly does not need any extra dryness. 👀🙃

@QueenMarceline It obviously works really well for some people; it just isn't working for me (for right now, at least).  I'll still try it again someday down the road but I think I need to "fix" my hair a little bit and give it a protein break before then.

@CookieGirl1 I'll keep you posted on how I feel after I give it a shot.

@QueenMarceline fingers crossed that it ends up working well for you!

@CookieGirl1 Sorry neither of these worked for you. I tried the K18 and the first time I used it it seemed to really make a difference but whenever I've tried it since I don't notice much. I've been looking at the Living Proof but I might get a trial size first to see.

@makeitup305 I think I'm realizing that my hair has a bit of a protein overload and that's probably why these don't work for me.  It's the same with Olaplex; I used to LOVE Olaplex but over the last few months it just hasn't been doing my hair any favors and I'm pretty sure that's why so I've pretty much given up on bond-building products and I'm trying to use different products on my hair altogether.

@CookieGirl1 defintley, if you have enough protien stay away from olaplex and k18, I used them for months to fix my hair,  now I only use them a few times a month as needed. 

There is a stand test you can do,  to see if your hair is dry, lacking moisture or too full of protien etc.. based on how a stand stretches.

Sorry to hear about your monthly misses

@CookieGirl1 maybe a clarifying shampoo or a vinegar rinse would help if you're not using them yet. I had the same experience with Olaplex No.3. I only use it maybe once every month, alternating with the K18. I actually went back to sulfates and silicones after a decade of sulfate free shampoo and my hair seems to be doing really well. 

@makeitup305 @CynthieLu yeah, for quite awhile I was using the Olaplex shampoo and conditioner 3-4 days a week (I really do like them) and I think that the effects kind of snuck up on me so now I'm paying for it a bit.  I'm just going to throw them back in my haircare stash for a couple of months, at least, and try to use really hydrating/moisturizing products and see if I can rebalance everything.

That sounds like a really good plan @CookieGirl1 , avoid the protien until you feel you need a boost again.

Gentle Clarifying shampoos might be your BFF to get rid of extra protein stuck on your stands like @makeitup305  suggested. Good luck hunny! 🌈

@CynthieLu I actually already use a clarifying shampoo at least once a week so I'm a little surprised that it hasn't seemed to remedy the situation BUT to be fair I was using the Olaplex for quite a long time a few times per week so I guess I can't expect miracles from a clarifying shampoo.

That is surprising, I'm so sorry, I hope your hair recovers quickly. Hair problems are just awful @CookieGirl1 

107 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • images.jpe
  • This was the day of application. I don't even have to tell you which nail Elusive's on, right? :D Those teal/aqua dots look more present in this photo than they did in person.
  • LIIIIIIES, ALL LIES!
  • B0BD5680-553F-45AC-ACCE-24887B912B95.jpeg
  • Italic dark red = possibly the same ingredient, just labeled differently.
  • AA2651DA-A03F-44AE-9827-0EC050D0FC36.jpeg
  • 20220830_230741~2.jpg
testing