Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Moisturizers and barrier

I was just told that natural oils are great way to soften your skin such as jojoba and such, but was told they don't penatrate deep into the skin barrier, or form an enclusive barrier like face moisturizers. Whether this is true or not my question is what's a good affordable face moisturizer that works well for combanation fair skin that breaks out easily? OR What is the Ingredient I'd want in helping with fine lines at my age of 40 and to keep epidermal water loss from happening. I do use hyaluronic acid but i am still new to all of the skin care as i only started last year. I'm trying to figure out what my skin needs exactly. So just looking for advice on some effective moisturizers or ingredients i should focus on in good moisturizing that's works long term

Re: Moisturizers and barrier

@jozeyah  The most occlusive oil used for skincare is mineral oil. Argan oil can also moisturize skin, but I wouldn't rely on it alone for that task. Squalane isn't really an oil, but it can be quite moisturizing. 

In cream or lotion moisturizers, look for one or more of these ingredients: petrolatum (the most occlusive skincare ingredient), shea butter, dimethicone, and squalane. Those are good at preventing water loss. Bonus points if the moisturizer contains ceramides and cholesterol. Most moisturizers also contain hydrating/humectant ingredients like hyaluronic acid (usually its salt form, sodium hyaluronate), glycerin, sodium PCA, honey, carrageenan, trehalose, urea, and several others I'm forgetting right now. Rosehip oil is also hydrating. So are peptides. 

Some good inexpensive moisturizers: 

• Vanicream Moisturizing Lotion - I alternate this with another one at night 
  • Vanicream Moisturizing cream - thicker cream version of the lotion 
  • Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer - my usual daytime moisturizer 
  • CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 
  • CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion 
  • Aveeno Restorative Skin Therapy Oat Repairing Cream - a body lotion that's great for dry and irritated skin; I use it on my face during inflammation flares 
  • Aveeno Eczema Therapy Daily Moisturizing Cream - another body lotion I sometimes use on my face; if your skin's sensitive to aloe vera, choose this over the Skin Therapy lotion (that one contains aloe) 

Also consider Cetaphil moisturizers. And I like Paula's Choice moisturizers; they often have sales at their own site, and Sephora carries a very small selection of their product catalog. 

Use Josie Marin moisturizer or origin ginsin moisturizer 

Hello there,

Ingredients such as Glycerol (humectant: pulls water into your skin) , Niacinamide, Ceramides, Hyaluronic acid (humectant) , Squalene, and petrolatum are all great at helping your skin lock in moisture and repairing your skin barrier. These work great especially when incorporated in a moisturizer. There are a lot of affordable options that contain these ingredients some brands to look for are cerave, cetaphil, and La roche posay. You can choose which product will work best for you based on your skin type (oily, dry, or combo) they also have great cleansers with the same water retaining ingredients.  Just a helpful reminder that you can keep it simple and use a products with a few simple ingredients and still see results on your skin. 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing