Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

I was just looking through the "What Are You Wearing" thread and looking through the list of products I suddenly realized I very rarely use concealer under my eyes anymore. It used to be one those "will not leave the without it" items. It got me thinking back to a moment many, many, MANY years ago at a Clinique counter...

I can't remember what I was shopping for (probably super double face powder because that was my HG back then. I think I was around 20 when this story happened - I'm 39 now for reference.) So anyway, the sales lady was trying to upsell me on a bunch more products of course (which, I was 20 and in college - good luck getting blood from that stone, lady) and this is what she said to me word-for-word:

"Honey, you're gorgeous but those dark circles are distracting me from the rest of your face."

Whhaaaaattt??? I honestly can't remember how I reacted or if I bought the product I went in for originally. I know that I did NOT buy any concealer though! 

Have a couple more to post but BT is being super iPad unfriendly lately!

I don't want to open up any wounds with this post. Just hopefully dumb stuff SAs have said to you that you can look back on and laugh about now!

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

I've had a SA at a drug store call me sir.  For reference and not to be inappropriate, I am rather ridiculously well endowed and have nearly waist length blonde hair.  I love androgynous looks but quite frankly I couldn't achieve one no matter how hard I tried.  In that particularly instance I stared at the guy in disbelief for a minute before finally responding, "I'm a lady."  He didn't even have the good sense to be embarrassed so I figured he was on something haha.

I've had SAs at beauty counters tell me that I need to go tanning so I can find a shade match (um, NO for about a million reasons - and no spray tans either).  I've also heard "Oh that color is perfect for you because it actually gives you some color!"  I'm a color.  I get that I'm white and I know I'm somewhat shockingly pale, but that's not an excuse to insult my complexion or assume that I'm trying to become less pale through makeup.  I can find a color match, but that brand clearly wasn't interested in my money so whatever.

I've also heard, "Oh you shouldn't wear your glasses, no one can see how pretty your eyes are!"  Like, 1) my glasses are not made of steel, the lenses are completely transparent… ya know, like GLASS?! and 2) I don't give a rat's behind if people "can't see my eyes" if it means taking off my glasses, because then I can't see ANYTHING.  Like, at all.  I have -8.50 in each eye, and I can't wear contacts.  My Prada glasses are hot, deal with it.

Bottom line: people are cray.

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

I absolutely can't stand it when people make comments like that.  NOBODY should EVER feel the need to go lighter or darker to please other people.  And to suggest tanning in order to buy makeup?  Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Right?!  It really gets my goat because (as I mentioned just now in the comment above sorry to be repetitive lol) I'm pale because of a skin pigmentation disorder, so making me feel bad for it is just stupid.  And actually someone's complexion really isn't ever in their control other than tanning, so it's idiotic to make someone feel bad about in any event given how harmful tanning is!  I was gobsmacked!

That's ridiculous. I can see something like this happening in normal conversation: "I think this shade of blush would be perfect for your fair skin, it's a lighter shade so it'll give you a nice rosy glow without looking unnatural."

In regards to foundation, I honestly don't even know how "That color is perfect because it gives you color" makes sense. Not everyone needs or wants to be super tanned. Some of us like our fair skin.

Admittedly, I am looking for a self tanner to help even out my complexion on my arms and legs. I have a lot of red polka dots, and being slightly tan makes them disappear...

It was completely absurd!  I agree that if it had been stated as you put it I probably would have felt thankful to be getting such personalized advice.  If only people knew how much phrasing can matter I think we'd all have little to say in this thread.

I have the same red dots actually!  I wish I had advice about how to get rid of them, but I haven't had experience with self tanners so I'm not sure what to recommend.  Hopefully someone here can give you some good ideas, it might be worth starting a new thread!

I wish I had a pale skin, having somewhat yellowish undertones from my asian genes. Wear your skin with pride! Hundreds of millions of asian people are jealous of your complexion.

I'm very content with my complexion now, but I used to have such a lovely tan that came so easily in the summer.  Unfortunately I was diagnosed with vitiligo (skin condition leading to lack of pigmentation in skin in random splotches) when I was about 14, so I had to make the choice about continuing to let my skin tan, making the spots more prominent, or just stay out of the sun.  I picked the second, mainly at the advice of my doctor, but it took awhile for me to become comfortable.

In any event, you should love your skin tone too!  I think we all yearn for what we can't have, so I know the feeling of wanting something different, but all shades and colors are beautiful.

I cannot count the number of times that I've been in similar situations, and it's so frustrating! I'm also is-that-the-lightest-shade-you-have pale, blonde, and wear glasses!

For a number of years (high school through college graduation, I'd say), I'd take those comments to heart and envied skin tones that were able to a.) get an easy color match or b.) were able to tan...but that was definitely  what other people were pushing onto me. Embrace your skin tone! Being in the center of the spectrum of skin tones shouldn't dictate beauty -- they're all lovely!

And, um, hi...my glasses are part of my fashion statement, thanks. Smiley Wink

This isn't a situation with a sales associate or aesthetician, but a few years back, my husband (we were about to get engaged that night, actually) and I went out for a night at the theater. When we were given our playbills, the old lady directing us to our seats said to me the following:

"I hope you and your son enjoy the show!"

The horrified look on mine and my husband-to-be's faces. Of course, after that, he just laughed and laughed and laughed. And I remained horrified. I was so worried that I looked ancient compared to him!

I know I don't, though. I'm not really sure WHAT that was about. Maybe she needed her glasses checked?!

Wow...there is no way you can be mistaken for the mother of a grown man!  That is ridiculous.  I would be so horrified, too.

He is baby faced, granted, but I don't really look *TWICE* his age. We are maybe 4 months apart age-wise in reality. I kept asking other people if I looked really old for my age for so long after that, lol!

First of all, there is no way that you could look like a mother to a grown man. The usher really needed to have here eyes checked!

Back when I worked for my family's business, people often thought I was actually my Dad's wife. Just being a college graduate at the time, I was horrified.  Lol! Looking back at pictures from those years, now I see that my Dad just looked really young. However, recently my husband and I had a new roof put on. One of the guys on the roof called down to me that 'we talked to your son and he left.' I was angry -- my husband is 5'11'', the size of a football player, and has a beard and mustache! I let the guy know exactly what I thought and the owner of the business kept him away for the rest of the day. Lol! It still irks me, but I finally decided that there was a problem with him since there's no way I look that old.  (I'm actually 45 and have no wrinkles.) 

My dad is also a baby-faced kind of man -- 60 years old but he really looks more like he's in his late forties. I don't blame you for getting PO'd at that roofer! This is why you don't assume, people! Wow!!!

omg.. the dot dot dot did it for me i snorted out of my nose :\ that lady needs a vision check lol 

I don't think her prescription was spot on. Smiley Wink

At first when I read your comment, for some reason I thought the usher meant that you were the son Smiley Very Happy 

A similar situation happened to me on my first trip to Sephora with my bf last October, I look quite young ( I was 20, look 15-16) and my boyfriend is 10 years older than me. The SA asked me if that was my dad. I was so embarrased. It only made me more insecure about our age difference.

My husband still gets mistaken for a teenager sometimes (he's 27). But still... he's looked pretty much the same for years. He didn't look like a CHILD when he was 24, and I sure hope I didn't look middle-aged, lol!

What the effing eff...people are SO dense.

I was so embarrassed and horrified!!

This just made me laugh out loud. Such a ludicrous statement! She really needed her eyes checked.

Interesting that this thread was just created as I heard a rather uncomfortable comment today.  I was walking past a makeup counter at Macy's (pretty sure it was bareMinerals) and a much older lady was getting some makeup applied by the associate.  As I was walking by, the associate says "You've got a mustache."  And the older woman just sounded shocked and embarrassed as she says "I do?"  I couldn't believe that a stranger could say something like that to another woman, especially with the hopes of making a sale.

amazing.

That's messed up, but it reminds me of a conversation with a 5 year old I was babysitting:

HER:  Why do you have a mustache?

ME: I don't…?

HER: Yes you do, right there *points*

ME: Well everyone has hair on their face, so - 

HER: No, it's a mustache.  Like Daddy has.

ME: Uh - 

HER: Are you Italian?

ME: Um, yes?

HER: Ooooh, that's why you have a mustache.

I died.

At least when a 5 year old says something offensive they can be forgiven! 

<3, Randee
152 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • ET.jpg
  • underworld-bill-nighy_116105-480x360.jpg
  • trix.jpg
  • af168-tumblr_muzui3kyi91r02p9xo1_500.gif
  • upload_3368097514640878095.gif