Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

I was just looking through the "What Are You Wearing" thread and looking through the list of products I suddenly realized I very rarely use concealer under my eyes anymore. It used to be one those "will not leave the without it" items. It got me thinking back to a moment many, many, MANY years ago at a Clinique counter...

I can't remember what I was shopping for (probably super double face powder because that was my HG back then. I think I was around 20 when this story happened - I'm 39 now for reference.) So anyway, the sales lady was trying to upsell me on a bunch more products of course (which, I was 20 and in college - good luck getting blood from that stone, lady) and this is what she said to me word-for-word:

"Honey, you're gorgeous but those dark circles are distracting me from the rest of your face."

Whhaaaaattt??? I honestly can't remember how I reacted or if I bought the product I went in for originally. I know that I did NOT buy any concealer though! 

Have a couple more to post but BT is being super iPad unfriendly lately!

I don't want to open up any wounds with this post. Just hopefully dumb stuff SAs have said to you that you can look back on and laugh about now!

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

I love being pale! I prefer the great indoors so I can stay pale!

Re: Messed Up/Funny/Off-The-Wall things makeup sales associates, aestheticians, etc have said you

Exactly! I've grown to embrace my fair skin. I'd rather be fair and skin cancer free. Smiley Happy

Recently, I was at my local Sephora intending to scope out the Hourglass Opaque Rouge Lipstick, and didn't find it anywhere. I thought no big deal, I probably missed it, I'll just ask someone later (all the SAs were busy at the time). So I make my way to the back of the store, and was browsing skincare products for a while when a nice blonde SA lady asks me "Are you looking for anything in particular?" 

I tell her that I'm looking for the Hourglass lipsticks, and she didn't know where the Hourglass lipsticks were either, so she finds another SA and asks her where they are. This second SA turns over, looks at me and says in the most sassy, condescending manner "You know that Hourglass is a makeup brand right? You're in the skincare section...lipsticks aren't part of skincare. All of the makeup brands are up there in the front of the store." Then she goes to a male SA "Show this young lady here where the Hourglass stuff is." (I'm in my late 20's btw...I'll tolerate someone much, much older than me calling me a 'young lady', but seriously this SA was in her 30's maybe, and I felt totally talked down to). 

I was so upset and humiliated that I left the store almost immediately after that. Sephora is supposed to a fun happy place for me, but that kind of treatment made me feel like I could not step into the Raleigh Sephora again. Oh well, at least I still have online shopping!! Smiley Happy 

The one and only time I ever went to get my hair cut (a family friend paid), the lady would not stop commenting on how much hair I have. I'm sure she meant well, but I was 12 and was very embarrassed. I'm Asian with thick, wavy hair and that community was mostly white.

I've kind of noticed a huge theme- if you're young, you can't shop here. 

I realized that I'm actually a huge example of it. I, when I'm alone, get confused to be about 18 or 19. Salespeople treat me like a regular customer. However, when I'm with my friends who all appear to be 14 or 15, the salespeople give us the biggest case of cold shoulder. 

I've been fumbling around trying to find the right foundation color. I got the Color IQ done at Sephora but the brand I wanted (Urban Decay) wasn't one of my matches. The sales lady matched me with 4.0 and the swatch on my neck looked great (my face and jaw is too flushed in the summer time to get an accurate match) so I happily bought it. However after doing a whole face at home I discovered that it will be absolutely perfect come winter time but right now its a little too light. While I decided to keep it, I still needed a better match for summer. Not wanting to spend another $40 bucks on something that is not quite right I ducked into an Ulta next to my job to test out UD's 5.0 (the next step darker). Not wanting to trust a small swatch on my neck this time I asked a sales lady if they did samples. The lady rolled her eyes at me and said "we're not Sephora, we don't do samples". Something else they didn't do that day was get my business.

Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • ET.jpg
  • underworld-bill-nighy_116105-480x360.jpg
  • trix.jpg
  • af168-tumblr_muzui3kyi91r02p9xo1_500.gif
  • upload_3368097514640878095.gif