Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

Makeup and Skincare that smells!

I was washing my face earlier with Fresh Soy wash, and it smells like article,chemically concocted watermelon?

So that's got me wondering, what kinda makeup/skincare products also smells?

I also have a lipstain that smells like fruity candy when I first apply it, then it seems to smell like a floral perfume.

A lip balm (rosebud salve) that sorta smells like roses.

Different face washes that smells like flowers, oatmeal, mint, herbs.

Foundations that smells like flower, soap, lemons.

What about yours?

Re: Makeup and Skincare that smells!

I have an Ole Henrikson face oil that starts off smelling like oranges and then turns to smell like bad arm pit. My husband actually whispered in my ear one morning before we went to work "did you forgot to put on deodorant". I had thought I was the only one who could smell the face oil but I guess it must be pretty strong. Now I only use it at night.

I understand what you mean. Some of the Perricone products smell so bad to me that I just won't use them.

Eek, Missey!  Truth Serum has kind of a fake orangey smell, but that goes away fairly quickly- guess I won't be trying the oil!

Um let's see...I have a really sensitive nose, so ALL my products smell, even if that smell is just the ingredients (like a chalky scent for most eyeshadows, etc).  But things that smell on purpose/that I enjoy: most of my Origins products have some sort of light scent.  My favorite one is the Drink Up Overnight mask though, it smells like peaches and apricots in a really nice way (probably fake, but smells fairly natural).  My face washes by Korres also have a nice scent, one smells like roses, and the other has a nice light scent that is slightly floral or sugary.

Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Foundation. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing, but it smells like dead roses and can be smelled by people across the room hours later, and after spraying other smelly things over the top :'( However, I actually really like the Illamasqua foundation I have, which smells like cake batter/sugar cookies! I have lipsticks that smell like vanilla, mint (personal favourite), and weird fruit concoctions (Rimmel, whyyy?). I adore my REN Rosa Centifolia cleanser that (obviously) smells like roses.

I generally don't like a lot of fragrance in skincare/makeup but if it isn't too off-putting and doesn't linger, I'm okay with it.

That soy cleanser smells exactly like old fashioned lacto-fermented pickles.  

Crazy Rumors Bee My Honey lip balm smells like honey and tastes yummy too [or are we only doing scents...because in that case I did not eat my lip balm]

I always thought that the Fresh Soy Cleanser smelled like dirt.  And I will not use Perricone products because of their raw fish smell!

Ugh, anything by Biologique Recherche. I tried a sample of one of their masks and it reeked of rotten yeasty something. I left it on my face for longer than I should have, because I knew once I re-wet it the smell would come back Smiley Sad

On the plus side, my face looked fantastic after. 

i hate the smell of the MUFE Professional lipstick, i think it's way to much scent for a lipstick, it's not fruity it's just weird, and it's so unfortunate because it's a good lipstick, it's long lasting, moisturizes etc but i hate the smell so i don't wear it as often as i would like.

Philosophy Hope in a Jar is the rankest smelling thing ever. I was trying out a sample and it smelled straight up like rotten fish. Just ornery. My daughter even commented on the smell 15 minutes later from 3 feet away. I actually had to wash it off!

Wait till you try the Cold plasma...

That was seriously dead fish.

I'm normally pretty ok with fish... this I was not. I put it on... noticed the smell... thought to myself, "Can I REALLYhandle this?" Nope.

Had to wash it off immediately.

On a side note, my skin was AMAZINGLY soft after.

But even though it worked great, I don't know if I can put up with that. >.< I bought my mom the skincare set. She hasn't said anything to me yet, but I'm not sure if she's gotten around to using it or doesn't want to be impolite by telling me it smells terrible. Smiley Happy

Guerlain's foundations have a rose/violet (?) fragrance to them. I love it. But I can see how some people may not like it because it is very strong at first.

I love the smell of Tarte's cheek stains.  I actually picked my shade out by smelling them all.  The red one I have smells like fruit candy.

Higher End mascaras like Lancôme and YSL are scented with an awful perfumed scent that makes my eyes water. I can't stand it.

My Guerlain Meteorites are scented (like dried violets) and the scent was SO strong at first I thought I would have to return them. But, the smell wore off and now they're an essential part of my makeup routine.

I cannot stand the smell of the YSL glossy stains.  i was so disappointed because I have been looking for a perfect gloss/stain for a long time and I really thought that this would be the one.  I have tried it several times but I cannot get past the smell.  It is so strong and its almost like an alcohol smell to me.  I also tried a maybelline mascara (one of the volume express ones) about a year or two ago and I it had a really strong floral scent that I was not a fan of.  I'm usually not very sensitive, but if something is too strong, I will be turned off by it.  

I know what you'r talking about. My gf loves them but I think there's a kind of floral note at the end that I'm not crazy about.

The applicator is amazing! The color I have is great! So I've kept it, I just don't breathe for the first while and it dies down a bit. Smiley Happy

I can't use Sebastian Shaper hairspray. It's not that I hate the smell so much, but it's strong and it lingers forever.

I use Shiseido eye cream and that has a definite floral fragrance, but that dissipates much more quickly.

Perricone MD products smell like fish (Cold Plasma Sub-D is the worst). I know it's because of the amines and they're supposed to make my skin gorgeous, but when I come home from the lab, I don't want to smell it anymore.

I agree about the YSL Glossy Stains. The scent usually dissipates quickly enough for me. I have more trouble with the newer Gloss Voluptes. I can taste the mango/passionfruity smell for like an hour after I apply it. It's not bad, but it's distracting.

I just picked up the MJ Genius Gel Supercharged Foundation, and UGH! It stinks! I can't stand it. I couldn't tell when I tested it in store, but the bottle I brought home smelled like mens deodorant with a slight dirty armpit smell. ON MY FACE. 

Yuck.

PTR's camu camu line smells like self tanner.

As for good smelling things, the Chocolate Bar of course is awesome! And I like the smell of the YSL volupte lipsticks and Guerlain meteorites.

Dior's serums have a sweet, floral smell to them, too.

I've noticed that Dior's face products (BB cremes, skin care, etc) have a perfumed smell to them. It's pretty strong! I think it takes a little bit longer to fade away than Guerlain's signature product scent.

Hmm, I found it faded super quick on me! I own a lot of Dior haha Smiley Tongue But, it is stronger than Guerlains.

Oh, I don't mind the scent either way, it was just something I noticed! Smiley Wink I want more Dior in my life, most definitely.

Hehehe. Fair enough! I like both their smells.

Now, for the Marc Jacobs scent.. eugh. Love the foundation, can't get over the smell. It's too bad.

hmm, I didn't notice the smell either in the store tester.  I better go back and take another whiff as this was one of the potential items on my list to buy. thanks for the heads up.

35 Replies
Conversation Stats