Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

Makeup Organization! Are you happy with yours? How would you change it if you could?

So with all the discussion about makeup confessions, hauls, and new TSBs, we know that we all have a serious hobby and addiction to beauty. But how do you store them in your home? Do you like how you've organized your makeup collection? Do you have the space for them? How about your space for prepping and putting on your makeup? What would you change, if you could?

Honestly, with me... I've had to make a lot of compromises and make the best out of what I have to work with! I live in a very old home, over 200 years old. I love it to pieces and I wouldn't trade it for anything. BUT it kind of lacks some of the modern conveniences that newer homes have. I don't have many good storage solutions yet, my closet space is almost nonexistent, and I'm currently using an entire room with built-in shelves to display my shoe collection. I don't yet have a proper makeup vanity, and my full-sized bathroom is laid out very poorly and does not have good ventilation, so I don't like to store my makeup in there. Instead I have cleared out the drawers in my night stand and do my best to organize my makeup in there. When I go to put it on, I grab what I need and transfer it to my bathroom, where I apply my makeup -- luckily with tons of natural light! -- on tiptoe so I can peer into my too-high and too-small vanity mirror. I can't set makeup out on top of my mirrored dresser/vanity because I have a very bratty cat that likes to wake us up every morning by pushing things off of dressers and tables, and I have nightmares that I would wake up to a shattered Lingerie de Peau bottle on my wood floors.

Let's just say that we fully intend to renovate that bathroom once we've set aside enough money for it, lol!

In my fantasy land, I would have a well-lit vanity space with six large makeup drawers, a padded bench, and a makeup mirror. Heck, I'd have a whole bathroom just for preparing my makeup every day!

More realistically, in the short term, I am going to buy Muji acrylic makeup drawers or similar makeup organizers and really keep things looking pretty in my drawers. I'd also like to buy some bathroom storage solutions (cheaper solutions, since we are saving for a renovation) to better organize my bathroom sink and vanity, and of course, I think a good makeup mirror is in my near future.

How about all of you? Are you happy with how you manage your cosmetics? Any pictures or storage ideas to share, for people with limited space? I'm curious!

Re: Makeup Organization! Are you happy with yours? How would you change it if you could?

That is so awesome!!! You have got to show us pictures when it's finished! We're not the handiest people, unfortunately, but we're learning... slowly... You kind of have to have these skills when you have a really old house. My husband loves to play with circular saws, at least, so it's a start.

Re: Makeup Organization! Are you happy with yours? How would you change it if you could?

I'll definitely post pictures when it's finished!! And you'll get there. Old houses are so fun though, I'd much rather have something with personality than the poo apartment I live in now. Ugh, popcorn ceilings and beige carpet? *dies*

We don't have popcorn ceilings, but we do have funky textured plaster in some rooms. I think the purpose of it was to disguise horrendously uneven walls. Nothing is plumb and square in this house, as we've learned! Downstairs, though, we have exposed wood beams and exposed brick walls. You might have caught the brick walls in the backgrounds of some of my photographs. That would be my living room.

The house I grew up in had wood floors and ceilings, and was built in the 30s or 40s, but my dad had it updated with wiring and all that, but it was just so nice. I miss having wood everywhere. But I know what a pain it is having everything be uneven, I had a house in Kentucky that was suuuuuper old, and while it was gorgeous, everything was...a little crooked. And brick walls? Gorgeouuusss. I'm so jelly of your house. Smiley Very Happy 

Oh, I do love my old house, don't get me wrong -- I just have a fantasy bathroom that may or may not come into fruition someday, lol! Crooked walls and crooked frames are just part and parcel with the deal. You come to enjoy everything as part of the 'character' of the place.

Luckily our wiring was all up-to-date when we bought the place, so that was a mess we didn't have to deal with. AND there's central heating and air! Woohoo!

I used to have this bathroom...It was on the second story of the house, and had windows all around it, so I had full natural light, the shower was this enormous walk-in thing, there was a giant bathtub that you could swim in, and the counter was enormous. Looking at my teensy weensy apartment bathroom now, it makes me want to just cry. So I totally understand wanting your fantasy bathroom! And central heating and air is a huuuuuge plus.

Old houses are so quirky!  We've been trying to put in baseboards in our place right now, and it is soooo much more difficult that it should be.  The floors are sloped, and the walls are wavy, so there is a lot of sitting and filling in gaps with joint compound happening in my life.

Even the seemingly simplest of tasks become challenging in an old house. We've been trying to find someone to replace our side-entry door for 8 months now. The door is an odd size and it is not square; the house settled the most on that side of the house, so it is at a slant. Basically we've got a funny-shaped door opening. We had a contractor, he made a door, he messed it up. He tried again. He messed it up. So he gave up, reimbursed us, and left us high and dry. Fuuuuuuuuuun.

Except now we have a rickety cracked door with no threshold that we stuff towels beneath to prevent too much air from flowing in and out. SIGH.

argh!  So frustrating!

Blurgh, that is my nightmare.  when we moved into our current apartment, it was blue industrial carpet with many stains, and the whole place was painted dark gray (my fiance's brother had the place before us, I have no idea what he was thinking).  The first weekend we moved in, we pulled up all the carpeting, put down laminate floors like look like the original pine that the house would have had, and painted light colors because there isn't much natural light.  Now the light bounces instead of being sucked into the walls, and it is a million times better!  Plus, my dad made this to disguse a few support beams that were just hanging out on the room:

That looks awesome!!! Your dad looks incredibly skilled!

Yup!  The weird thing is that this stuff is just his hobby.  He redid my parent's house completely (there is like, one original interior wall standing).

I went through an entire vanity overhaul. I got a new vanity and a new storage area. YAY! Too bad I am outgrowing it already.... EEK! At first I had so much extra space so I allowed myself to buy a lot more makeup and skincare backups than I normally would and now I ran out of space. Whoops! Ha.

I do love my Muji drawers as well- I keep them on top of my vanity. I have a lamp on my desk for lighting but I want more, but I don't know if I want the large makeup mirror with lights all over...

I have a train case [which is pretty much full] and a decorative box that I got from Michaels, those two things get stored in my corner [and I say my corner because I don't have a room with my current living situation. Just a corner in the living room behind the couch aka my sleeping space]. The bathroom in my house is reallllly small and I was keeping my stuff under the sink in there at one point, but then the sink started to leak so I moved my stuff out into the living room. It's fixed now, but I like having a tad bit more space to sort stuff out in. When we do move and I get a room again this is my ideal set up. There was one girl on YT that had this beautiful wardrobe set up, but it was like $1000 and that's a no no. So this will work for me. But in the mean time, I'm probably about to buy a bigger train case. 

You're much more organized than I am! I need these 'space saver' organization skills desperately. Your collection looks beautiful right now. Smiley Happy

I wish that was my collection! That's just how I would like my set up to be.

Is that table from Ikea? 

Yup! The MALM dressing table.

I used to have that Ikea vanity table, but in black. It stored all my makeup, at the time, but the one thing that bothered me about it, was that the drawer didn't pull out far enough. I kept having to take out my storage trays if I wanted a product that was further back.

I now use an Alex nine drawer unit.

It's pretty full already and I've only had it for two months now. Eek! I don't think there's enough room in the spare closet to store another one since I also have a storage unit for my nail polishes, another for nail art, and a third for random crafts. Yes, I fully admit I have a problem.

@IttyBittyMe- I love how organized this is! That's what I need! Smiley Happy -Laura

Is the Mirror from Ikea as well? 

I need a mirror like this so bad. The lighting in my room is horrible. 

Yep! Everything is from Ikea. 

Right now my vanity set up is still in the setup stages... I have a $50 desk i got from target while it was on sale (originally like $149!). And then some really cheep plastic drawers that are driving me crazy because they are just sooo cheep. Plan on getting some IKEA drawers hopefully in the future. It don't have a vanity mirror yet so it's nice that my room is right next to the bathroom, but my grandpa is making me one (he's a jack of all trades).

I've been wanting to get a vanity but I'm not sure what I want. (somewhere to sit and do makeup would be nice lol). I'm trying to stay budget friendly and spend within 100-200. The search continues.

Highlighted

Hi LariTheLoud,

I'm in the same boat as you, my house is about 110 years old and has no storage (only 1 closet in the whole 3 bedroom house!). I've kept all my makeup on top of my dresser for years, but I'm about to get rid of the dresser to make room for a new bed, and I'm kinda freaking out about what to do with all my makeup. I'm probably going to try to consolidate it to a shelf in my standing wardrobe temporarily, but I need to figure out a better set up.  My bathroom is not an option either. So, I love seeing all the different ways you guys are organizing on here! I'm taking notes!  I think I want to build a vanity like this one.

Smiley Happy -Laura

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos15
  • IMG_2617.JPG
  • acrylic1.jpg
  • lighted-makeup-mirror-10.png
  • BroadwayLightedMakeUpMirrorPYL.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • 1483025_10100230957516110_454536058_n.jpg