Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Love the product, hate the packaging?

What products do you love (and rebuy!) even if the packaging is terrible? Any genius solutions?

This morning the metal tube packaging of my NIOD Sanskrit Saponins creased and sprang a leak. I've been so gentle with it, and used barely 1/3 of the tube. I'll probably decant the rest to an airless pump.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Re: Love the product, hate the packaging?

Loreal pro glow... So so good but waaaay to watery to be in a squeezy tube.  I know they wanted to be consistent with the pro matte packaging but I would have loved to see a dropper bottle like the tarte rainforest of the sea.  I feel like that would be cool and different for the drugstore. 

The glamglow lip products.  I havn't bought these but I want to try them and everytime I see them in store they look so globbed up and gross it turns me off of them. Just no.  

Last but not least, Clinique 2-in-1 foundation.  I love this foundation and love the giant doe foot applicator but the stopper is literally like a plastic cardboard thing just glued to the bottle and it comes up and makes a huge mess.  PLEASE put a proper stopper on this.

Anything that comes in a jar  instead of a pump or tube. 

Also, the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer in the glass bottle is impossible to use all of. The weird stick dabber already makes it difficult to get the stuff out, but good luck getting anything out when there's only a little left.

@purlyfor this reason I get the large 2 oz tube which I can cut open toward the end 😄 cheaper per oz. than the regular 1 oz bottle too!

I was just reminded of this today! So irritating. 

Marc Jacobs Re(marc)able foundation! No matter how careful I am, it globs up like crazy around the applicator. So much wasted product! I always say I'm going to decant it, but for a higher-end foundation, it frustrates me to have to make the extra effort. There must be a better way 🙂 

I came here to say the same thing! I love the foundation, and the packaging is pretty, but really horrific to use. It's always such a mess. -__-

Mine would be Farmacy Lip Bloom. I love the formula and the Apple Rosemary scent, but I really wish it came in a tube instead of a little pot.

Also, I hated the newer pump containers for Caudalie micellar water because it made it too difficult to get the right amount on a q-tip (off topic--I recently found out the Q in q-tip stands for quality) whenever I needed to clean up makeup. However, it gave me a reason to try micellar water from Ren, which I actually like better. 

I love my Farmacy Lip Bloom in Lavender Mint too @txcatx! The packaging also irritates me so I just use a new Qtip to apply. I've been happier with it but I know I'd get more use out of it if it was in a tube 🙂

@txcatx This doesn't solve the tube vs container problem completely but I buy a jar of the plastic spatulas on Amazon. They're about $6 for 100. They're marketed as single-use (I suppose if you were an esthetician or makeup artist) but they've survived cleaning in my dish washer. I just feel environmentally bad tossing them. And I don't have to dip my fingers into jars anymore. If you do a search for "makeup spatula" a bunch of stuff will come up.

I just use a lip brush, but since that's the case, I usually reach for a different lip balm because of convenience.

Tarteguard 30 Sunscreen Lotion...I like this sunscreen, i haven't finished my full size version yet but my biggest challenge is with the sample size (7 mL) of this product. (for some reason i have a whole bunch of these) 

I literally can only get 3-4 pumps until it wont dispense anymore, but there's soooo much product inside...so i try scooping/leaving it upside down/cry

I'm really scared that the full size product might behave the same way as i get to the bottom...

EDIT

I remembered another reason i'm not a fan of this packaging...in the full size version, the product "SHOOTS" out of the pump. So I basically have to use my hand as a mitt to prevent it from getting on my carpet, my clothes, etc. super annoying 

Just thought of another.  The YSL tint in oil.  I love the oil, the colour, the stain, but can't toss it in my purse for fear it'll leak.  I had one last summer lose half the product in the centre console of my truck.  I'm hesitant to buy them because of this.  Change the leaking issue and I'll buy 5 more!

Butter London nail polish bottles, especially the half size/0.2oz ones in most of their sets. Square bottles seem to be all the rage nowadays, but these short and wide bottles make it almost impossible to finish a product. Once it gets half empty, I can't get enough on the super-short brush anymore, and the product starts getting thick and lumpy and gooey. It's not a huge deal to me on a nail polish I'm never going to finish anyways (I have entirely too many to worry about ever using a bottle more than once or twice lol), but I use their nail foundation for every polish change. I don't think I've ever finished off more than 2/3 of a bottle before having to throw it out. I looooove the product though. 

OPI has the right bottle shape IMHO: skinny bottom/wide top concentrates the product at the top of the bottle where more of it is easily accessible.

Pretty much every skincare product in a jar drives me nuts. I've gotten so I buy airless jars and/or pumps on  Amazon and then recant the stuff.

It's always been the one thing I hate about eye creams.

Oh, me too!  I was so upset when Dior switched to jars for my favorite eye creme.  Tried others, but ended up gritting my teeth and buying the Dior anyway.  Hate, hate, hate not having the pump, but I don't think the creme would work if I decanted it.

This is something that never bothered me so much 10 years ago but more and more I completely get where you're coming from and look for the pump jars or tubes.im not sure if I just never thought of it when I was younger or was more unaware of cross contamination.

The Juice Beauty CC cream is really hard to get out when the tube gets to be about 1/3rd full. It's a plastic tube that doesn't remain rolled up when you try to roll it.

@fairlywell

Typically if I hate the packaging, I have often hated the product as well (or maybe I become prejudiced).  But this is easy.

Charlotte Tilbury Under eye concealer pen.

I love this product, but the packaging is wrong on so many levels.  I am not a fan on CT packaging in general, not my aesthetic.  This pen actually looks nice, but it malfunctions!  It leaks all the time, is messy, and the cap doesn't shut easily.  

I like the product enough to look past this.

@greenchilli That sounds so frustrating! And a perfect example of a product you would buy in a different package if you could. 

Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
  • 14-4-NUVO-Magazine-Winter-2012-036-037_PETTEGOLEZZI_36-37_PAGE_1_IMAGE_0004-816x560.jpg
  • raw sauce.PNG
testing