Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Love the product, hate the packaging?

What products do you love (and rebuy!) even if the packaging is terrible? Any genius solutions?

This morning the metal tube packaging of my NIOD Sanskrit Saponins creased and sprang a leak. I've been so gentle with it, and used barely 1/3 of the tube. I'll probably decant the rest to an airless pump.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Re: Love the product, hate the packaging?

The bite beauty lip masks!  I had one pop from the end of the tube.  My sadness was likely disproportionate to the situation, but I had to put it into two of the Sephora sample containers I had just emptied.  

Agree! I've never had one bust open, but over time the charcoal grey paint flakes off and makes a mess everywhere.

@missjeanie I love the Bite masks, but they're way too thick for the tube packaging. I widened the dispensing hole on mine, which helped a bit. It's still not the best for such a pricey product. 

Maybe I'll try widening the top on the one I have in the tube still.  I hardly use the red one I had in the tube that's now in sample containers. I worry about it somehow leaking in my purse now. 

It might be that tube packaging isn't the best, because my complaint is also with the tube packaging on Tarte's Tinted BB Treatment. I love the product to death but it's the worst to get product out when it's about to run out. I end up squeezing too hard and then all of a sudden it's a mess. 

Hi @fairlywell,

I had the same problem with many creams and ointments in the past.

You reminded me that L'Occitane has a "Magic Key" that goes with all metal tubes and should help with the creasing. I've never purchased one but as I use their Shea Butter Hand Cream it may be worth a try..

Eleonora14-4-NUVO-Magazine-Winter-2012-036-037_PETTEGOLEZZI_36-37_PAGE_1_IMAGE_0004-816x560.jpg

That reminds me of a toothpaste tube trick I picked up from a former roommate! She used Ikea chip clips on the ends of toothpaste tubes to keep them neat.

the small size binder clips work really well too

@txcatx Genius! Must try with one of my chip clips.. 

They sell tube rollers in drugstores.  I remember buying some for my mom's healthcare aides, because they would leave SO much product in the tubes.  They never used them , but they are easy to find once you look.

@eleonorarosa @fairlywell - You youngsters!  You probably don't remember the days of metal toothpaste tubes.  They were around the same size they are now.  Image the edge holes that always formed about a quarter of the way up from the bottom.  That's why once you used up some product, you started rolling up the tubes from the bottom; no fancy gadgets needed.

I don't have an issue with toothpaste being in a tube, I have an issue with the material the tubes are made out of--you can't roll them up like you used to.  That tube takes up massive space on the vanity even when there's only a small amount left.  Think I'll take a look in the dental section for a toothpaste tube "key."

@Titian06 Hilarious! Though I'm pretty sure I'm not a youngster by any stretch. 😉

I did try the rolling method (no key) and that's where the split happened. Maybe it's all in the skill and I need practice!

@fairlywell - Oh, that's too bad!  Guess they don't make 'em like they used too!

@eleonorarosa I have one of those from Dr. Jart! I'll have to look for another, thanks for the suggestion!

Welcome.. 😉

Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
  • 14-4-NUVO-Magazine-Winter-2012-036-037_PETTEGOLEZZI_36-37_PAGE_1_IMAGE_0004-816x560.jpg
  • raw sauce.PNG
testing