Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

I mentioned recently in the Thoughts on Beauty thread that I was struggling with the visible signs of aging on my face. I am fairly diligent in my skincare and use retinoids but there is only so much topicals can do. About two and a half weeks ago I decided to take the next step and I got Dysport (it's like Botox) in my crow's feet and nasolabial folds (smile lines). I am absolutely happy with my results and would (and will) do it again as the effects from this round wear off.

I wanted to share my experience because I'm sure there are more of us out there who are thinking of having procedures done and are unsure, wondering about the cost or feel embarrassed talking about it. If anyone wants to ask me any questions, I'm happy to answer whatever I can.

Please, everyone, chime in with your experience as well!

I'm not totally excited about sharing some of these pictures. I took my "before" picture in the absolute worst light imaginable. In the waiting room, in 12:00 high noon sunlight. But it did pick up every wrinkle (um, yay).

Before: I am looking up so my forehead is a bit more wrinkly than normal but you can see my crow's feet and my fairly deep NL folds. This is literally my least favorite photo of myself in existence.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender3.jpg

The night of: I'm a bit of a mess here. There's not much to see here except that I'm a little swollen. I also got a pretty bad bruise on my face and I thought you may want to see the progression. It wasn't too bad on that first day. My face WAS sore where I had the filler around my mouth. I got Juvederm Ultra Plus XC injected.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender2.jpg

A few days later: I know the lighting is bad here but the swelling is down but the bruise is bad. My face remained tender for a couple of days. 😞 I really hated going to work with this on my face, even trying to cover it up. (Also, my injector was really good. I bruise so easily and I don't blame her for this at all. It happens.)

Spoiler
FullSizeRender4.jpg

Two weeks: All healed. Took this photo yesterday in morning light with no filter. I forgot to mention that I also had the Dysport injected into the "11s" between my eyebrows. She only did 10 units so I still have movement but it seemed to have spread somewhat into the lines across my forehead, which is fine by me. I don't really mind those lines so much but, hey, if they wanna disappear I'm not complaining. This is the most close-up I have ever posted and I'm not loving it! 🙂

Spoiler
FullSizeRender.jpg

I wanted to get injections into my chin to take away some of the dimpling I have but my nurse warned me that the chin area can sometimes have a tendency to spread incorrectly and affect the edge of your smile in a strange way so I decided not to do it. However, I did want to leave SOME lines and signs of aging on my face. I wanted still look like myself.

So all in all I had:

30 units of Dysport: 10 on each eye and 10 in my "11s"

One syringe of Juvederm Ultra Plus XC

Here is the price list from the Medspa I went to:

Spoiler
IMG_4285.JPG

So there you go! I hope that's helpful!

Anonymous Insider

Re: Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

most of Bollywood Celebs/ do plastic surgery in personal i dont like it -_- 

Re: Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

Thank you for the advice!

I recently got that done for the first time.  I too have always had that sunken/tired look since I was a kid.  I really like the results!  However, it's important to set expectations.  I still have darkness under my eyes, fillers wont correct that.  I also have some obvious veins, so with the filler they sometime can get swollen.  All I do though, is massage that area with some oil or cream to de-buff.  I believe they used Voluma on me.

Thanks for the advice!

Hi ladies,

Super happy to see someone who has started this thread. Being Slavic, I have the stereotypical nose that I am very self conscious of and am considering rhinoplasty.

Has anyone undergone one already? I have spoken with several plastic surgeon offices about the procedure, but am wondering if someone can provide me with an account of their personal experience and whether they feel it was worth the steep price tag?

Thanks!

I can't speak to the cost because mine was reconstructive and covered by insurance.  I will second @wheeeee that it wasn't particularly painful and that it takes some getting used to visually (I would imagine even more so if it is completely elective). I had some pretty bad bruising that lasted several weeks. I also had a weird sensation that my nose wasn't quite attached to my face that lasted about a year. 

I would recommend choosing your surgeon especially carefully as it makes such a tremendous difference (for this even more than most cosmetic surgeries, I think). I chose a doctor that only did rhinoplasty and mainly revisions (fixing others botched work). If you don't have friends to refer, ask doctors who they would go to. 

If your nose really bothers you and you can afford it- do it!!!! just make sure you have a really good doctor, even if they cost more. 

This is the tricky part. @lipstick4soul Even when you choose a 'good doctor'  how do you choose ONE  'good doctor' from a group of 100.  (I live in a major city so plenty of good ones to choose from).

What I pay attention to on 'nose jobs photos' or even celebrities is the tip.

That is the giveaway, if this doctor does natural or 'cookie-cutter' nose jobs. 

The bump is the easy part.  That will be corrected without much problem.

If you see 'turned up tips' ......RUN.  Let's use Kim Zolciak as an example.  I am sure she asked for her 'turned down tip' to be set straight.  Her doctor 'turned it up.' 

Kim Zolciak is no stranger to plastic surgery so I am really shocked to see her with this new nose.  I wonder if Dr. Hochstein did that to her.  (Kim denies the NJ).

He did her augmentation and they look really good (for those that live in Miami).

I would suggest taking some 'wish photos' and listen carefully to the doctor. Believe what the doctor tells you. 

Have the nose job!!! Best thing I ever did! When you have the money and the 3-4 weeks to stay home....just go!  

You are almost there!  Congrats!  What did the doctors recommend for your nose???

-I didn't have any 'real' pain.  Just discomfort from the bandages, staying upright at least 7 days and hygiene.  The nose cast will get gross/itchy before it is time to come off. You can 'very gently' scratch with a Q-tip.  lol

Be prepare for lots of dead skin when it does come off!!! But, who cares???  Your new nose will be gorgeous!!! Especially when you first see it.  In the following days it will swell up some. booooooooo! (the pressure from the cast prevents the post-op swelling).

-You need a good 3-4 weeks before you look your 'post-op best.'  They always say, 14 days, but I am not personally in agreement with this. Not just physically, also emotionally.  You will/might experience some post-op anxiety.  You will need some alone time to take it all in.  They do prescribe medication for this.  I got Valium.

-Lastly, BOREDOM!  So, much boredom. Especially, if you are an active person.  Fill up the DVR and stock the fridge.

Who was your doctor, please? And which city! Thank you ❤️

I've been thinking about getting a little filler in my lips. I do not want the "Kylie" look. I've noticed that the volume on my top lip has decreased immensely it seems like recently and I just want some symmetry/ a tiny bit of volume. Anyone have any advice or suggestions? I'm having a difficult time even finding an office or med spa as well (wouldn't mind getting a little help with my eleven lines while in the office). The cost is also a concern as it seems like I'm receiving conflicting prices for just the Botox/Dysport alone. It's almost like offices don't want to tell you the price - just come in the office, and Lord knows what they'll say or charge if I were to come in. Thanks in advance.

@niki172  I've got my lips done a few times with Juvederm.  I was happy with the results. It wasn't over the top but bigger. I only used one syringe though (each time/years apart). I really like that product and would go back. I recommend you do your research and seek out a reputable dermatologist. I don't recommend spas. I mean that's your face you are talking about... you want a professional who is known for their work to do them. Unless your spas are different in the US... When I think of spas I think of estheticians and stuff... While they are good at what they do I prefer a reputable derm for treatments. I know we have spas here that do laser hair removal and derm offices that do them too... that's why I say that... sorry for the rambling there lol. I think one syringe was about 500$ CAD. But do NOT quote me on that. It's been way to long! You can also pm me if you have more questions. I'll try and answer them for you 🙂

Thanks V that's quite helpful. I've seen some people just going overboard with filler and I don't want that. 1 syringe is enough and gives me a bit of a baseline to ask over the phone. I'm also glad it lasted years as I've read online that you need to go back semi annually (I don't have the $$ for that and my makeup addiction :P) Some med spas here in the US employee PA's that have a dermatology background, but the more I read about it going to a dermatologist seems like the better bet. I was shocked to learn that one office offers a credit line w/ 24 months no interest :D.

Spoiler
I'm not sure when I'll pull the trigger and do something, but I figured gathering as much info so I could go into this eyes open would be a smart move so there are no surprises.

@niki172well it did not last for years but I didn't feel the need to go back if that makes sense. It can last from 6 months to a year IIRC. My lips are also somewhat full already so maybe that's why I didn't feel the need to go back.. AND the derm had told me that since Juverderm uses hyaluronic acid which is produced in our body already it might naturally increase production... I actually think it did.  A patient of his told him that after two treatments. They inject you to freeze you which is somewhat painful and then the inject the Juvederm. You are frozen, swollen for a few hours and can't remember after that how long it was more normal. It's been a while.  But yeah I would go back to that product for sure and will do it again at some point.

If you can find a good person in your area that does the tattoo lipliner I would suggest this 100x more than lip filler. 

When you tattoo your lip liner (you choose the color you want) it makes your lips look 2-3 times fuller naturally.

Try it at home with your regular lip liner.  Most people get bumps with the fillers and why I am hesitant about them.

Always ask about a consult fee. Unfortunately, most plastic surgeons have them. They usually apply them to the cost of services, though.

I think what you want to know is how many units/syringes  you will need?  Then you can estimate cost based on that. 

I was quoted for crows feet 8 units per eyes.  So, that is 16 units X $10 (her cost) = $160 for eye Botox.  If you go to a MedSpa tipping is customary, so add the $30. You don't tip Doctors, so think about this when comparing prices. 

-What is the average units needed for forehead????

-Also, for lip filler folks.  Did y'all need 1 or 2 syringes?  (of let's say something like Juvederm)

This is why they want you to come in.  They don't know how much product you will need and can't quote you over the phone. 

This is getting long, but here is a tip I found out by accident. If you get on the email list for doctors and MedSpas.....then you will get Invites to their parties, private events, and even be offer free services in the hope that you buy more. 

Right now, my email is blowing up with these offers!!!  (Summer tends to slow down some businesses since people have their kids at home, away on vacation, etc.). 

Has anyone used a derm roller? Or gotten an electric   microneedling treatment? 🙂 please let me know 

Has anyone here ever used Scar Away? (or, silicone scar sheets/Mederma?)  I heard about them but never used them.  I have 'eye tail' scars from my eye surgery and even though these are supposed to go away in 2 months I bought a pack this weekend.  

Everything is great...... but.....I just want the best scar healing possible and my doctor said it was fine. 

These silicone sheets are 'supposed' to be for raised, surgical/stitches scar, keloids, burns, type scars.  Old and new. Not for depressed white scars.  People scar/heal differently, so not making any guarantees here. 

I am posting now because it takes a while to work and many people always ask about acne scars so this is worth a research for those in need.  

Guess I will report back in 1-2 months. I am on my 2nd day and so far so good! I bought the discs (which I cut into a tiny strip) and you can't even tell I have them on my 'crowsfeet' eye area. They are completely clear and blend/stick well. 

Average price is $25 but I got for $20 since the box had a $5 coupon on it at the supermarket!  

SCar away.jpg

My daughter fell off a cliff on her bike (4 year old). She got scars all over her face, we used the scar away patches all over her face, two months later you can't even tell where any of the scrapes were. They work like magic it's incredible.

Poor thing!  Childhood bike riding is why many of us have scars! 

I am glad you got these for her and had success!  

Had my botox today!

Originally just went in to get a little help with the 11's, but also ended up getting some injections in the muscles that make frowny-faces. I have a wicked-strong 'grumpy-cat' impersonation, so hopefully this will soften that out. 

Super annoying though, the clinic that did it also sells skincare. Not that surprising, but they were so passive-aggressive in their sales technique. 

I had arrived wearing makeup because I came right from work and was told it wouldn't be a problem. When I got to the intake technician, she didn't ask about my skincare routine - just started telling me condescendingly that I need to wash my face 'more' and that I'm "super oily". Oh, and I need to start exfoliating. Oh and my lack of good skincare is also why I have "soooo much acne".. (um, a few spots cause of hormones but f-off, geez.) But "luckily" that have the right stuff that could help me out with that.. (cue sales pitch)

I'm not oily, and I'm a FAR cry from needing MORE exfoliating (my skin is best its ever been, thanks) and how the hell do you diagnose someone's skin UNDER foundation, concealer, blush, bronzer and highlight????

Ugh. Anyway.. not letting that ruin my excitement! Can't wait to see some results.

hahahhahahahahaha!   Yayyyyyy!  For your Botox!

One day I will get some......but, I am like Benjamin Button right now! ;')

For anyone looking to cover brusies, there's a Beauty YouTuber named Sharon Farrell who has a very nice tutorial on this. She made the video after she had her lips done and got a bruise on her face above her upper lip. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos15
  • FullSizeRender3.jpg
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
  • FullSizeRender4.jpg
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
  • IMG_4285.JPG
  • IMG_5731.JPG
  • ffffff.jpg
  • bbbbb.jpg
  • cheek bruise.jpg