Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

I mentioned recently in the Thoughts on Beauty thread that I was struggling with the visible signs of aging on my face. I am fairly diligent in my skincare and use retinoids but there is only so much topicals can do. About two and a half weeks ago I decided to take the next step and I got Dysport (it's like Botox) in my crow's feet and nasolabial folds (smile lines). I am absolutely happy with my results and would (and will) do it again as the effects from this round wear off.

I wanted to share my experience because I'm sure there are more of us out there who are thinking of having procedures done and are unsure, wondering about the cost or feel embarrassed talking about it. If anyone wants to ask me any questions, I'm happy to answer whatever I can.

Please, everyone, chime in with your experience as well!

I'm not totally excited about sharing some of these pictures. I took my "before" picture in the absolute worst light imaginable. In the waiting room, in 12:00 high noon sunlight. But it did pick up every wrinkle (um, yay).

Before: I am looking up so my forehead is a bit more wrinkly than normal but you can see my crow's feet and my fairly deep NL folds. This is literally my least favorite photo of myself in existence.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender3.jpg

The night of: I'm a bit of a mess here. There's not much to see here except that I'm a little swollen. I also got a pretty bad bruise on my face and I thought you may want to see the progression. It wasn't too bad on that first day. My face WAS sore where I had the filler around my mouth. I got Juvederm Ultra Plus XC injected.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender2.jpg

A few days later: I know the lighting is bad here but the swelling is down but the bruise is bad. My face remained tender for a couple of days. 😞 I really hated going to work with this on my face, even trying to cover it up. (Also, my injector was really good. I bruise so easily and I don't blame her for this at all. It happens.)

Spoiler
FullSizeRender4.jpg

Two weeks: All healed. Took this photo yesterday in morning light with no filter. I forgot to mention that I also had the Dysport injected into the "11s" between my eyebrows. She only did 10 units so I still have movement but it seemed to have spread somewhat into the lines across my forehead, which is fine by me. I don't really mind those lines so much but, hey, if they wanna disappear I'm not complaining. This is the most close-up I have ever posted and I'm not loving it! 🙂

Spoiler
FullSizeRender.jpg

I wanted to get injections into my chin to take away some of the dimpling I have but my nurse warned me that the chin area can sometimes have a tendency to spread incorrectly and affect the edge of your smile in a strange way so I decided not to do it. However, I did want to leave SOME lines and signs of aging on my face. I wanted still look like myself.

So all in all I had:

30 units of Dysport: 10 on each eye and 10 in my "11s"

One syringe of Juvederm Ultra Plus XC

Here is the price list from the Medspa I went to:

Spoiler
IMG_4285.JPG

So there you go! I hope that's helpful!

Re: Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

Arnica eats up bruising and swelling! love it!  Helps with pain just as good as pain killers.  Take the pellets before your procedure and then use the cream (comes in gel, too) on the bruises/swelling.  It is only $14 at supermarket. 

arnica.jpg

Re: Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

mm. I'm augmented.

and tbh...I don't like it.

my experience was a bit impulsive in probably the only place you can be impulsive about a major surgery: Miami.

I kinda feel like I installed discomfort bubbles into my chest. I don't think I was prepared for the way men would treat me (omg! I was always the sweet girl, the one boys took home to their moms - it changed overnight, and not in a good way...I'm so sorry bigger breasted ladies bc that is some nonsense!). I also didn't know I would never get back full upper body strength, and I weight train so...jokes on me (I max out at 40lbs upper body now). and then of course there's the fact that I'm a hip hop dancer, so I'm usually in pain at the end of the night from bouncing around..

there are some pros. it's honestly raised my pay. I did the math and it's paid for itself. interesting. and I don't look flat in anything! (do any of you know that game?)

BUT the biggest con - it's made it infinitely more difficult to use my masters degree. on my first ever interview, I was informed by the person interviewing me, "I would have to explain you to my wife!" - and given that I did this to myself as a self indulgence for completing my masters, it's been pretty upsetting that I haven't had success using the degree.

WELP, thanks for listening to my life story! haha! in all truth though, I plan to undo this to myself. I just can't afford it right now. that's more than the initial cost, BOO. so know that if you're considering. I was told "go bigger so you don't regret going too small!" and that was terrible advice. I might have a different experience if I wasn't a 28F. but I'm also completely deterred from having any other work done; I don't know if that's a plus or not, lol!! (I save money!)

If you are in so much discomfort have you had your surgery checked out?  I know so many women with augmentation and never heard a story like this.  Also, many moms are augmented nowadays.  Just date guys with augmented moms!  hahhhaah! 

Noooooooooooooo!  I love my big girls!  I am natural so there is a difference in how they look compare to implants (as I am also physically well proportioned) ............... but, I am  obsessed with big implants!  love 'em!!!!  Sad to hear you are having a hard time. Should be happy time!!! 

I also think that the 'augmentation look'  has changed in recent years.  It used to be fashionable to go big. At least D. 600 CCs+.  Now, bouncy and perky look is more desirable. Especially, since silicone and high profile became popular. 

Ugh sorry to hear about how the interview went @Alicehoopz.  I wish you good luck on your job hunt. Just FYI.. it's not any easier when interviewing with women lol.

I have to wear a minimizing bra and loose flowing tops.  I wear a lot of dark colors because that helps to disguise my breast size a little.  I went to see my doctor because I've been having pain in my neck and back.  I've been referred to a plastic surgeon to consult about getting a reduction.  I won't make any decisions until I do my research and have consultations on what is best for me. It would be nice to enjoy going running without putting on a bullet proof vest, my sports bra is heavy duty and uncomfortable, but at least it does a good job at keeping the girls in place.  I swear it could stop a bullet lol. 

I don't know if this is an appropriate thread for this but I recently started doing facial yoga and am happy to share this info with BT

The concept is this: our facial muscles are just like any body muscles and can be worked out to support the skin. Unused, the muscles weaken and the skin above our facial muscles sags. Working out the face also promotes blood circulation, which helps reduce puffiness and drains toxins. 

I do the exercises twice a day and feel the burn in my face (much like after intense lifting session). my overall complexion and tone have improved. I think my lips also look fuller and lifted. IT only takes me 15 minutes daily and some of the exercises you can do while sitting at your desk or while driving. For extra fun, do it in front of the mirror and try not to laugh 😄

I would recommend facial yoga to anyone who does not have the resources for surgery or fillers or is afraid of going under the knife. 

Thank you for starting this thread--in the next few years I know I'll want to start exploring what can me done for my "sliding face" (loss of volume). I can deal with little crinkles here and there, but Lord have mercy, this loss of volume in my face is depressing. My husband is confused and horrified when I try to explain to him about what Juvederm and Restylane injections do. Sigh... may have to keep my second job just to pay for them. The pricing list is quite helpful as well.

@imababymuffin  I had botox yesterday for the 11's, the pain is nothing. The most 'painful' part was them putting ice on the spot before injecting. If you can withstand an icecube on that spot for 10 seconds, you'll be a-ok.

I love this thread!  I'm soaking up info for once I'm finished breastfeeding.  Only a few more months.  I am curious about lip fillers.  I would like a little more volume (natural looking) but am scared of what my lips would look like say if I one day decided to stop getting fillers.  Would they go all saggy and deflated?  Or is this even a valid concern? 

@heartsmyface  I got mine done about 3 times throughout the years... I got Juvederm injections. They looked really nice when done and while they aren't as plumped anymore I think they are still a bit plump but never deflated.  I went to a reputable derm to get them done. I think my lips are still nice just not as plump as when I had the injections. You can pm me if you want 🙂

I'm in the process of getting all my moles removed from my face. I have to keep going in every month for 3-4 more months to permanently remove them all. The first time I came in I got them burnt off and got my skin tags removed completely. I'm recovering well so I'm excited 😊.. the downside is she doesn't allow me to wear foundation because it'll clog and make the healing process slower. 

Before the first mole removal 

Spoiler
IMG_5146.JPG

After the procedure

Spoiler
IMG_5151.JPG
Now 
IMG_5390.JPG

The more times I come in the more lighter the moles become. As you can see the mole on my forehead is now gone yay 🙂 but the others I need to come in a little more..

I heard the scalping way is 10x more expensive and leaves scars so that's a no no for me 🙂 

Also in the process of getting my armpit hair removed by laser too.. I've been tweezing for 4 years and read up I had to shave now so it can get thicker.. anxiously waiting for my hair to grow back so I can go get it done. I already bought it online 🙂 

So cool that you're getting your moles removed, imo they look cute but I know you'll be so much happier if you didnt like them. I love seeing people being proactive about the "little things" 

Also, I, and I'm sure so many of us, would love lazer updates! I hate shaving my legs cuz I struggle to see the hairs and miss some then they glisten in the light all proud. 

I'll update you soon once I go in for my hair removal 

@imababymuffin  "all proud" just made me seriously laugh out loud 😄

cheek bruise.jpgI am so glad you posted this.  I am the only one in my group of friends who is willing and able to get injectables.  I have had Dysport injections twice now, about 4-5 months apart. My injector does my crows feet, bunny lines, forehead, 11s, chin, and probably something else that I am not thinking of.  

For my 40th birthday in March, I decided to get a filler to add volume to my cheeks.  I feel like the results were VERY subtle, and that was with two syringes. He hit a bad spot on my left cheek and I ended up with a green bruise that I couldn't cover. It lasted three weeks or so. I am trying to decide if I will get it again. 

Green would need a pink corrector.  If you do decide to do it again, a thin bright pink lipstick over the bruise would cancel out the green, which you could then cover with your regular foundation:) 

Thank you! I just tried a few concealers and one peach corrector but it was new to me and I confident that I did it wrong. 

I've had, in the past, some laser work done to get rid of facial hair (done at the plastic surgeon's office, so I guess that counts for this discussion.) 

It stung badly to get it done.  It helped to numb the area with ice cubes immediately before the procedure. 

It took a few weekly sessions to really notice a difference, (I'm a tough case,) but it did work.  And after four months of sessions, I would say the results lasted about eight months.

The accidental bonus was that the laser did help exfoliate my skin, so what was left was very smooth and wrinkle-free.  I only had to wear a cream for a couple of days afterwards.

@Ispend2much6 I've wanted to do laser hair removal for my face for ages but I had always heard it's not effective on blonde hair. I have very fast growing facial hair that I shave off every day (wow I'm letting it all hang out today!). I looked into it again a few weeks ago and it seems that since the last time researched it now blonde hair CAN be lasered, so I'm really hoping to have some sessions maybe this summer.

Do you mind sharing your hair shade? I've also read that you need to let your hair grow out long between sessions and I can't imagine doing that. I am so self conscious about my facial/chin hair (seriously, it's more "abundant" than people would think) that the idea of growing it out is terrifying. Did you have to do that?

Oh, my dear @starsandbucks, you and I have a lot in common. 🙂  If it's any consolation, your facial hair was not visible in your photos.

I have very dark brown, almost black hair.  And, the same shade on my face.  I do shave daily, sometimes twice, depending upon what's going on in my body.

I've found three things that increase hair (even on my face,) growth for me:  eating me, taking B vitamins, and prednisone.  Great for the hair on my head, not so great for my face.  I am not vegetarian, so I just have to deal with it.  So, if you are on steroids for any reason, your treatment would not be as effective.

If my memory is correct, I had to not shave my hair for three days prior to the treatments.  I did not go out in public those days, to be honest.  They also told me that when I shave my face to only shave in one direction, one pass.  No way would that be effective for me!

@Ispend2much6 I know the curse of Prednisone! I have Crohns and have been off and on it a handful of times. It's a blessing a curse. Thank you for sharing so much! This was so, so helpful.

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos15
  • FullSizeRender3.jpg
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
  • FullSizeRender4.jpg
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
  • IMG_4285.JPG
  • IMG_5731.JPG
  • ffffff.jpg
  • bbbbb.jpg
  • cheek bruise.jpg