Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

I mentioned recently in the Thoughts on Beauty thread that I was struggling with the visible signs of aging on my face. I am fairly diligent in my skincare and use retinoids but there is only so much topicals can do. About two and a half weeks ago I decided to take the next step and I got Dysport (it's like Botox) in my crow's feet and nasolabial folds (smile lines). I am absolutely happy with my results and would (and will) do it again as the effects from this round wear off.

I wanted to share my experience because I'm sure there are more of us out there who are thinking of having procedures done and are unsure, wondering about the cost or feel embarrassed talking about it. If anyone wants to ask me any questions, I'm happy to answer whatever I can.

Please, everyone, chime in with your experience as well!

I'm not totally excited about sharing some of these pictures. I took my "before" picture in the absolute worst light imaginable. In the waiting room, in 12:00 high noon sunlight. But it did pick up every wrinkle (um, yay).

Before: I am looking up so my forehead is a bit more wrinkly than normal but you can see my crow's feet and my fairly deep NL folds. This is literally my least favorite photo of myself in existence.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender3.jpg

The night of: I'm a bit of a mess here. There's not much to see here except that I'm a little swollen. I also got a pretty bad bruise on my face and I thought you may want to see the progression. It wasn't too bad on that first day. My face WAS sore where I had the filler around my mouth. I got Juvederm Ultra Plus XC injected.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender2.jpg

A few days later: I know the lighting is bad here but the swelling is down but the bruise is bad. My face remained tender for a couple of days. 😞 I really hated going to work with this on my face, even trying to cover it up. (Also, my injector was really good. I bruise so easily and I don't blame her for this at all. It happens.)

Spoiler
FullSizeRender4.jpg

Two weeks: All healed. Took this photo yesterday in morning light with no filter. I forgot to mention that I also had the Dysport injected into the "11s" between my eyebrows. She only did 10 units so I still have movement but it seemed to have spread somewhat into the lines across my forehead, which is fine by me. I don't really mind those lines so much but, hey, if they wanna disappear I'm not complaining. This is the most close-up I have ever posted and I'm not loving it! 🙂

Spoiler
FullSizeRender.jpg

I wanted to get injections into my chin to take away some of the dimpling I have but my nurse warned me that the chin area can sometimes have a tendency to spread incorrectly and affect the edge of your smile in a strange way so I decided not to do it. However, I did want to leave SOME lines and signs of aging on my face. I wanted still look like myself.

So all in all I had:

30 units of Dysport: 10 on each eye and 10 in my "11s"

One syringe of Juvederm Ultra Plus XC

Here is the price list from the Medspa I went to:

Spoiler
IMG_4285.JPG

So there you go! I hope that's helpful!

Re: Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

@starsandbucks  I'm sorry.  You seem to have a great outlook in spite of that.  You're a strong one!

Re: Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

Laser hair removal doesn't require that you let the hair grow out. You're supposed to shave the area to be treated right before the treatment. However, you can't wax or use any other removal method that could remove the follicle, since that's what the laser targets.  I have dark blonde/light brown hair and it has worked for me.  They use a different laser on me than they do for people with darker hair. It is called an "Alex" laser. 

@ForensicsFan Ahhh this is good news! Thanks for adding. I have a lot of reading up to do!

oh man i'm so glad you started this thread @starsandbucks!! i have actually had a few rounds of both lip filler and sculptra to restore volume in my face! the closer i get to 40, the more self conscious i've gotten about looking "old", but as someone with a low body fat/active lifestyle, losing facial volume is inevitable.

i've had 2 rounds of sculptra and juvaderm ultra plus in the lips, and i think they've made a huge difference! as someone who's never had lips at all, lip filler is a godsend! i'm not trying to look like kylie, i just want a normal pair of lips! i think after 1 more session they will be perfect, but doing it gradually is the only way not to overfill and screw up your face lol.

Spoiler
bbbbb.jpg

Spoiler
ffffff.jpg

I feel you... I'm 36 and every time I diet I lose fat from my face not my love handles LOL....

Your lips looks beautiful and very natural!

I'm 24 and hate my baby cheeks ! I hope with age they will become more hollow. Every time I gain weight my cheeks are the first to plump 

I guess we all want something we can't have 😃

@YoiFran lol right? it's never the areas i want to lose fat from!

and thank you! i'm so happy with them. i was so afraid they'd look fake, but my NP is amazing!

@unfungirl You're a stunner! You look great before and after. Both looks totally suit you and I mean that honestly. That reminded me that I should have added my age as well. I'll 43 in August. 

Wait, what? No you aren't. Every time I see your face I think "oh, that youngster."

@starsandbucks awe geez, so are you! and dang, you look great!!

i will be 36 in august 🙂

until i hit my early 30's, i never felt like i looked my age, but then gravity sort of kicked in, and i was like.... 😞

@unfungirl You are beautiful in both! your lips look so natural in the "after." more room for lipstick. 🙂

@fairlywell thank you!! that's all i wanted really, i didn't want to look too "done"!

Thank you for sharing your experience.  You are very pretty and you look great..before and after.

I typically get 50 units Botox (at same price as your medi-spa charges).  For me, the Botox usually lasts around 3 months.  I'm getting ready to schedule my next appointment and am also ready to have filler injected in my tear troughs again. I also bruise easily and usually end up with some type of bruise after having filler done.  My bruises tend to turn dark bluish purple, and it is very difficult to cover them completely. I've had to come up with all sorts of "explanations" over the years when asked "What happened??" by my co-workers.  Haha!  

@desertgirl501 I accidentally "dropped an iPad on my face" while lying in bed. I actually HAD done that before and bruised my face up pretty good so I felt confident in that little white lie. LOL. You can put that one in your back pocket for next time!

@starsandbucks  Yikes...but thank you!  That's one I haven't used yet, and I feel an iPad mishap coming on very soon..Lol!

Thank you for sharing your experience. Like everyone else already said, you were beautiful before and are beautiful now.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to get an injectable before the end of the year. I'm a skincare zealot, but I've got a 1 (nope, I don't even really have a deep set 11, it's one stupid line on my left side) that bothers me (it collects makeup, creases- even with so many primers- and more than anything it reminds me of the worst period of my life when it first emerged. I'm ok aging gracefully, but there's no reason to be reminded of a highly traumatic time. I've been doing some research and I'm nearly ready to start going for consultations- I'm just a bit timid in the end.

I looove Botox.  I have it done roughly every 3-4 months.  The documentation claims you'll get a solid 3-6 months out of it, but I find the effects fade on me after two months.  YMMV on that one, depending on how quickly your body metabolizes botox.  I usually receive it in my 11s and crows feet, along with my forehead for a "liquid lift."  Total, I receive 50-60 units per treatment and my doctor charges about $250 per area.

I hate hate HATE my under eye bags.  They are completely inherited, my mother, father, and grandmother all have them.  I do not have dark circles.  I had Restylane injected under my eyes May 2016.  I thought it looked best while I was still puffy and swollen.  I think I had 1 cc under each eye and paid roughly $1,000?  I did not achieve the results I was hoping for, so I won't have this done again.  Maybe I would have been happier with more but my doctor was concerned about ending up over-corrected. I can no longer feel the Restylane when I poke at my eyes, so I feel confident saying it has dissolved.

Left eye is before injection, right eye is immediately after injection.  The gapes on my cheeks are from the injections of numbing agent and on the right, additionally from cannula insertion (healed very quickly).  I experienced minimum bruising.

Spoiler
IMG_5731.JPG

I'm saving for a lower bleph, I think that's the only way I'll really get the look I want.  Maybe an upper bleph too.. haven't decided.

Anonymous Insider

I thought about getting my breasts done before but I guess thats normal to want to be perfect or try and make yourself  look perfect for other people and yourself .When I told a male friend of mine hes like uh no dont do it basically saying guys dont like fake breasts and natural is best.He said I had big Breasts  and I guess I always thought my breasts were small.But apparently I'am a 32DDD so after I figured out I was wearing the wrong bra size 36B all my life I was like okay its a good thing I didnt get that breast augmentation lol.

I probably wouldnt of went through with it anways because its so expensive and everyone has things they dislike about their appearance so it wouldnt of made much a difference in my confidence anyways.I probably would of got more male attention but I dont wear clothes that show my breasts / clevage anyways.It would of been the wrong type of attention anyways.

Other times I want bigger lips but then I think um no I like my lips so it  all changes depending on my mood that day lol.

Great thread and topic! I am a huge fan of laser, I get beamed up with BBL every 6 months and I love love love it. Pores way smaller and it tightens and firms. Hurts like you know what but for me the results are very powerful. So much that I really don't spend a ton on skin care because I don't think most skin care products can approach the efficacy of a professional laser for anti-aging.

I also had a CO2 laser 3 years ago which is a pretty major procedure with significant downtime but also really great results. If anyone has questions about laser, ask away.

I don't know much about the lasers and/or difference between the various types.  Can I ask what type of results did you experience from the CO2?  How long was your recovery and were you in pain the entire time?

@desertgirl501 the CO2 laser is much more intense. I got knocked out (fentanyl cocktail) so I didn't remember a thing. It was a pain because I had to be fasting before but my doc likes to have everyone sedated. The BBL broadband light that I get I don't do sedation and it hurts but I've gotten used to it.

I was not in any pain at all after the CO2. It's weird, your face does peel off. I thought I would look scary to my kids but I just looked puffy and sunburned. My littlest was 3 and he wasn't freaked out. It was my gift to self after birthing and nursing 4 kiddos! Very glad I did it. I'm a nurse so it didn't really bother me to have my face peeling off or have to do Aquaphor 3 times a day. I also don't work outside the home so recovery was no big deal. I think the first 5 days I did not go anywhere. AFter that I was good going out with sunglasses. I looked a little funny at that point but not freaky. I will probably do it again in a few years, although honestly now my doctor (plastic surgeon) says if I maintain with BBL every six months I may not need it. The biggest difference I see is more collagen, pores are much smaller and just general revitalizing appearance. The CO2 was pricey but what I liked is I really feel like I see a difference, like I actually got something for my money. I prefer a big bang for the buck! I didn't take before and after pics or I would post some. But I'm happy with what I see in the mirror. I do Botox too because I have the 11's which I just can't stand! But I think Botox and lasers are a good combo. Not too invasive and good results.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos15
  • FullSizeRender3.jpg
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
  • FullSizeRender4.jpg
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
  • IMG_4285.JPG
  • IMG_5731.JPG
  • ffffff.jpg
  • bbbbb.jpg
  • cheek bruise.jpg