Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

I mentioned recently in the Thoughts on Beauty thread that I was struggling with the visible signs of aging on my face. I am fairly diligent in my skincare and use retinoids but there is only so much topicals can do. About two and a half weeks ago I decided to take the next step and I got Dysport (it's like Botox) in my crow's feet and nasolabial folds (smile lines). I am absolutely happy with my results and would (and will) do it again as the effects from this round wear off.

I wanted to share my experience because I'm sure there are more of us out there who are thinking of having procedures done and are unsure, wondering about the cost or feel embarrassed talking about it. If anyone wants to ask me any questions, I'm happy to answer whatever I can.

Please, everyone, chime in with your experience as well!

I'm not totally excited about sharing some of these pictures. I took my "before" picture in the absolute worst light imaginable. In the waiting room, in 12:00 high noon sunlight. But it did pick up every wrinkle (um, yay).

Before: I am looking up so my forehead is a bit more wrinkly than normal but you can see my crow's feet and my fairly deep NL folds. This is literally my least favorite photo of myself in existence.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender3.jpg

The night of: I'm a bit of a mess here. There's not much to see here except that I'm a little swollen. I also got a pretty bad bruise on my face and I thought you may want to see the progression. It wasn't too bad on that first day. My face WAS sore where I had the filler around my mouth. I got Juvederm Ultra Plus XC injected.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender2.jpg

A few days later: I know the lighting is bad here but the swelling is down but the bruise is bad. My face remained tender for a couple of days. 😞 I really hated going to work with this on my face, even trying to cover it up. (Also, my injector was really good. I bruise so easily and I don't blame her for this at all. It happens.)

Spoiler
FullSizeRender4.jpg

Two weeks: All healed. Took this photo yesterday in morning light with no filter. I forgot to mention that I also had the Dysport injected into the "11s" between my eyebrows. She only did 10 units so I still have movement but it seemed to have spread somewhat into the lines across my forehead, which is fine by me. I don't really mind those lines so much but, hey, if they wanna disappear I'm not complaining. This is the most close-up I have ever posted and I'm not loving it! 🙂

Spoiler
FullSizeRender.jpg

I wanted to get injections into my chin to take away some of the dimpling I have but my nurse warned me that the chin area can sometimes have a tendency to spread incorrectly and affect the edge of your smile in a strange way so I decided not to do it. However, I did want to leave SOME lines and signs of aging on my face. I wanted still look like myself.

So all in all I had:

30 units of Dysport: 10 on each eye and 10 in my "11s"

One syringe of Juvederm Ultra Plus XC

Here is the price list from the Medspa I went to:

Spoiler
IMG_4285.JPG

So there you go! I hope that's helpful!

Re: Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

The only time I've considered Botox was as a last resort for my chronic and severe migraines.  While waiting for my consultation, I took an interim med that had taken helped several years before.  The med made such a difference, that I no longer was a candidate for Botox!

As far as I'm concerned, if someone wants to pursue any of these options, that's up to the person.  You have to live with yourself.  If it will make you happy, then go for it!

Re: Let's Talk about Plastic Surgery, Fillers, Botox, Dermatology, "Procedures" Etc. (No Shaming)

Thank you @starsandbucks for starting this thread and sharing your experience.  I think you look amazing before and after.  I'm seriously considering getting Botox and filler very soon.  I have a big milestone birthday coming up next month and I really want to feel better about myself as I age. Like you mentioned, I'm struggling with looking in the mirror and seeing the signs of aging. 

How long did they say your results will last?  Doesn't Juvederm last longer than Botox? Did you go in for a consultation before you had it done? Did you take time off work or could you go back right away?  Sorry for all the questions 🙂 

@AMK721 The Juvederm should last about 9 months. The Dysport only lasts between 3-6 months. And not that $150 isn't a lot of money but I'm willing to cut back on other spending (that could easily be one mild Sephora haul) to keep up with the Dysport. I honestly thought it would be a lot more expensive. The Juvederm is pretty pricey and I will have to budget for that much more carefully but at least it lasts a lot longer. 

As for how I chose the place I went to: it was recommended me to by some friends who went there and had a good experience. 

Thank you for having the courage to open up this conversation. I especially appreciate the untouched, no-makeup photos. I agree with the others, you are beautiful both before and after. Personally, I've had too much bad luck in the medical procedure arena and would be too afraid that I'd be the 1 in a million with some kind of major reaction.

I've been doing the nuface and seeing a difference, but only because I'm afraid of getting anything serious done. My dermatologist suggested Botox to avoid wrinkles and I've read that I can't do both the nuface and Botox, so I'm pretty torn about it. Definitely interested in the less invasive procedures if y'all know of any other good ones.

Great to hear your experience with NuFace! My mom recently got hers and is trying it out as an alternative to botox. I didn't know that you couldn't do both so I'll definitely pass that info on!

I'm still young enough that the nuface is probably enough for me. I've heard you really have to go with the more invasive treatments as you get older.

Hi @starsandbucks,

You look amazing before AND after! I also have to say that I think it takes a lot of courage to share something so personal like this, especially since it has some social stigma. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Cheers!
Nikko

you look beautiful before and after 🙂 I think a lot more people have these procedures than would admit to it. I, for one, can't see why there is so much judgement against anything that makes one feel better about oneself. 

I have been getting botox a few times a year since I was about 40. Just enough to soften the lines and still have movement. I feel like I look less tired and although I don't advertise that I have done it, I don't hide it either. 

Thanks for sharing your experience and personally I think you look fabulous always @starsandbucks 🙂  My boyfriend bought me a TRIA Age-Defying Laser last year and although I do feel it has helped my skin firmness and texture, I can tell at some point this will no longer do the trick. There's nothing wrong with wanting to fight the signs of aging... and there's also nothing wrong with accepting the natural process. To each his own, right? 😄

Anonymous Insider

Thanks for making this safe space 🙂 I feel like this subject has a lot of unnecessary stigma.

Has anyone had or is considering Fraxel laser treatment for hyperpigmentation? I am considering getting it in the winter for some sun spots and dark freckles, and would love to hear your experiences!

I had fraxel! It made my pores disappear for a while (now they are back) and made my hyperpigmentation fade (most of it) but as you get new acne new scars come in, so... 😄 But I loved the results nevertheless. I wish it lasted for the rest of my life 🙂

Anonymous Insider

Thanks for the info @aydasu! I am planning on doing this to get rid of some dark freckles and sun spots I got from living at a very sunny place when I was younger, so hopefully they don't come back! 

Really great thread @starsandbucks! I've been considering botox for a little while (for forehead wrinkles). I really enjoyed reading about your Dysport experience.

I don't know why this kind of stuff needs to spark so much controversy. I've been unable to speak about botox to anyone in my life because it's always met with eye-rolls and "no don't do that to yourself" and such. As much as I'd like to simply shrug it off with an "it's my body" remark, I do find it very hard to go ahead with something that my loved ones do not support. 😞 

I'm getting botox on the 14th!!

let us know how it goes 🙂

I hope all goes well, @Insomniacmuffin!

Good luck! 🙂

Good luck @Insomniacmuffin !

Thanks for starting this thread @starsandbucks!  I think it's a great topic that I've seen mention from time to time and it's helpful when you can speak about your experience with others and have a place to ask questions.  Very nice! Thanks for sharing all that with us 🙂

Conversation Stats
Photos15
  • FullSizeRender3.jpg
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
  • FullSizeRender4.jpg
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
  • IMG_4285.JPG
  • IMG_5731.JPG
  • ffffff.jpg
  • bbbbb.jpg
  • cheek bruise.jpg
  • IMG_5151.JPG