Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

Items to avoid at all cost.

Since the sale is rumored to be coming up, I'm just curious as to what products or even brands I should be avoiding in general. There are posts for overrated products, but being overrate indicates that there is something decent about it. But I am interested in items and brands that you absolutely hate.

Re: Items to avoid at all cost.

I don't think there are exact brands or products to avoid unless you know for sure you are allergic or have had a reaction to an ingredient.

Product like and dislike is all up to personal preference so what may work great for one person may not be for another!  Is there anything specific you are interested in trying out or a product/brand you want to know more about? Smiley Happy 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

I am not allergic to anything that I know of, I am lactose intolerant though.

I am really just curious to know what people hate. Smiley Very Happy

It is interesting to know what people hate but if you don't buy products purely based on other peoples opinions, you might miss something you love! 

Most of the products mentioned are things that I would not use anyway.. Smiley Sad

I am a boring makeup person. I stick to basics, like foundations and powders. 

Well, I don't "hate" any makeup, haha. (: But there's a couple of products that didn't work for me, including things like the NARS Multiple and the DevaCurl dryer. HOWEVER - everyone's different! A lot of people swear by those products and nothing is "one size fits all" in the beauty department. 

Marydiva even my Devacurl stylist does not use the Devacurl dryer.

I don't hate their product, but I stopped purchasing Benefit products because of their customer service.  It didn't happen to me specifically, but I read about how their customer service was completely dismissive of one of our fellow BTers.  There was a product missing from a Benefit value set, and Benefit won't cop to it or do anything about it.  Things like this leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and I think money talks.  So, no Benefit for me ever since then...

Don't rule out products because it didn't work for one person. 

It's a personal choice to avoid brand in general, like for animal testing reasons and such. 

But avoiding certains ingredients is different. Many things have horrible ingredients for your skin and unless your educated about it, you would never know. 

It's a good idea to educate yourself on harmful ingredients and check everything you buy. 

I don't ever make a purchase now without looking at every ingredient. I avoid Menthol, the Bad alcohols, some essential oils, sulfates, and silicones(sometimes, not a fan of the feeling)

It's mostly skincare that i really check but i look at all products i purchase as well that touch my face!

So well spoken!

1.I would avoid anything from Bobbi Brown, most of her products are drugstore quality. There are some decent products, but you can definitely get better quality for cheaper price such as eyeshadows, lipgloss, eyeliner and etc.

2. Too faced palettes. Their products are okay, however the quality of packaging is horrible. I constantly have problem with the eyeshadows popping out from the case.

3. Glamglow mask

I couldn't agree more.. Everyone was talking about how much they love toofaced and glamglow so much that I couldn't say anything but.. idk toofaced shadows feels like drugstore stuff to me and glamglow just irritated my skin really bad 

1. Like some others, no Benefit for me as well because of a fellow BTer's experience and I lack respect for their customer service because of it.

2. *Some* of Nar's eyeshadows. I LOVE some of them (i.e. Bellisima) and despise others (i.e Marie-Galante...no pigmentation to the point that it will not swatch or go on my eye.)

3. Too Faced foundation broke me out, and Nar's are too yellow/ orange.

4. Bobbi Brown's powder skin brightener (the cool toned one) is chock full of giant chunky glitters. I hate it.

*Makeup is such a personal thing though...especially foundations.

As many have said, this is highly personalized so I don't believe there's a right or wrong here.  I have had disappointing experiences more than once with Too Faced products, and many good experiences with the Philosophy brand.

I wouldn't buy another MAC quad for a dollar.  Garbage.

Couldn't agree with you more on this. This and many brush sets. I'd rather pay more for an individual brush that I know will be well made than get a bargain buying a brush set that was likely made in bulk and sub par. 

The St. Tropez One Night Only Instant Glow Body Lotion. Enough said LOL

So true! They can't even give it away! Splotchy and orange and staining!

I avoid Benefit Benetint like the plague. It contains ten times the legal limit of lead (as per Canadian health standards). Lead, that chemical that was all over the news a couple years ago for its toxicity! It can cause a range of symptoms, from fatigue to irritability to seizures and more. Some women put that stuff on their lips, because they are misinformed Smiley Sad Cosmetic companies are not required to put lead and other toxic heavy metals on their ingredient list because they are considered "contaminants." I know almost all makeup items have toxic heavy metals in them, but ten times the legal limit is to much for me.

Other than that, I can't really think of any items I wouldn't buy at Sephora. Generally I love Sephora products. Tarte is my favorite brand Smiley Happy

WOW I had no idea that lead was in the Benetint. This is shocking and new news to me! Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitly be more aware of what I put on my face now.

Oh wow! Is it only in the Benetint? Or in the others as well?

110 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • upload_5615434262397965190.jpg
  • chicken-rooster-photos-pics-funny-meme-lol-oh-hey-there-photobomb_thumb-6873.jpg
  • OprahSideEye.gif
  • what
  • save-the-trees-sorry-for-bad-english_o_1702047.jpg
  • upload_8030700209785295679.gif
  • upload_6920269125209791790.gif