Sephora

Stores & Services
Find a Sephora

Happening at Sephora

View all

Services

From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Itching for a buy...

It's only been 2 weeks since my last beauty related purchase, and I'm already itching for a buy!!  Anyone else experience "withdrawl" symptoms from trying to stagger their buying?  I'm trying to save my buy for Feb.. but I almost feel like I can't wait!

Re: Itching for a buy...

 


officegal wrote:

 


pocketvenus wrote:

@officegal lol, undergrads do look like kids to me!  I would like to take some classes in cognitive science.

 

I knew early on being a dr wasn't for me but watching my sister go through the MCATs and med school really made me sure. There was a lot of crying going down. And very mean people to deal with!!


 

They look like kids because they are kids.  😉

 

Cognitive science sounds very cool.

 

I think of the dozen or so friends who were aiming for med school, only one guy made it, and just this year at that.  Seriously, he and your sister deserve medals, lol.


 

LOL. They do seem so innocent!

 

I love cog sci. I think it's an almost natural return to blending biology, psychology and philosophy after they were split up into separate disciplines so long ago.

 

Yes, they deserve medals! It is extremely demanding work, not just mentally and emotionally, but physically as well b/c of the lack of sleep. I don't think many people realize the last part... I'm very proud of her.

Re: Itching for a buy...

What kind of a doctor is she?

 

I pulled an all-nighter the other day and thought I was doing pretty well all morning after until I totally hit a wall at 3pm and nearly fell asleep on the sidewalk.  I can't imagine how sleep-deprived doctors would function at the hospital.

Re: Itching for a buy...

 


officegal wrote:

What kind of a doctor is she?

 

I pulled an all-nighter the other day and thought I was doing pretty well all morning after until I totally hit a wall at 3pm and nearly fell asleep on the sidewalk.  I can't imagine how sleep-deprived doctors would function at the hospital.


 

She's training to be a psychiatrist but right now is doing her residency.

 

Yes, well I asked her, doesn't this kind of schedule compromise patient care? She said it most certainly does and her advice to me was to never have a medical emergency 4-7am!! Apparently, people are just dead on their feet, as you can imagine.

 

I definitely can't pull all nighters anymore. I'm completely useless - giggly and unable to think! I probably would be better off drunk lol.

Re: Itching for a buy...


pocketvenus wrote:

 


officegal wrote:

What kind of a doctor is she?

 

I pulled an all-nighter the other day and thought I was doing pretty well all morning after until I totally hit a wall at 3pm and nearly fell asleep on the sidewalk.  I can't imagine how sleep-deprived doctors would function at the hospital.


 

She's training to be a psychiatrist but right now is doing her residency.

 

Yes, well I asked her, doesn't this kind of schedule compromise patient care? She said it most certainly does and her advice to me was to never have a medical emergency 4-7am!! Apparently, people are just dead on their feet, as you can imagine.

 

I definitely can't pull all nighters anymore. I'm completely useless - giggly and unable to think! I probably would be better off drunk lol.


As a nurse, I can honestly say that I have NEVER understood the RIDICULOUS hours they expect new docs to work! I mean, really-- can ANYONE be thinking clearly in the 34th hour of their shift?!

Re: Itching for a buy...

ahhhh.....The overtired but wired.... I remember it well! 😄

Re: Itching for a buy...

My god, I can't imagine doing more than 8-10 hour shifts of anything now!  And I sit on my butt pretty much all day, too, while you're probably on your feet most of the time!

 

But once when I was about 20 years old, I did this crazy 48-hour work thing.  I worked at my parents' deli all day, went to set up chairs at a concert hall (for an N'SYNC concert, LOL) all night, didn't sleep, went back to work at my parents' all day, went back to the concert to pack up the chairs, then tried to sleep afterwards and found that I was so wired that I couldn't sleep at all until another day had passed and then I passed out due to sheer exhaustion.  That was nuts.

Re: Itching for a buy...

Most places we do 12hr shifts. We may do 16 at the outside, but these are usually "bailer" shifts ( work every weekend Sat and Sun for 16 hrs and get the whole week off but get paid for 40hrs) or overtime for special circumstances, etc. THe longest I ever worked at once was 18hrs. I'll never do THAT again! I had the worst migraine at the end-- proabably because it was an overnight shift. Not so great with the all nighters, either! But sometimes you donm't have much of a choice!

Re: Itching for a buy...

This is quite scary!  Thanks for the advice re: 4-7am emergency.  Smiley Surprised

 

How bad are the hours for the nurses in comparison to the docs, mermade? 

Re: Itching for a buy...

It's nice to know this "Be a Doctor" thing transcends my race!  All our lives, my sister and I were drilled into our heads that we need to be Doctors to become successful.  Well, none of us (my lil sister is 14, but that creative little thing is not going to be a doctor) became doctors, but despite the fact I think I'm doing very well for my age!  However, my parent's said about me the other day "Ru should have became a doctor, she had so much potential.  What a waste"  ?!?!??!!!!!

Re: Itching for a buy...

Again I am laughing my face off!!!!!

🙂

😄

Re: Itching for a buy...

Smiley Very Happy Oh my gosh I love you ladies, that's hilarious!

Re: Itching for a buy...

The pants I chose today fit kind of funny around the waist/hips.  I wish I had stayed in the leggings!  Bah!  😄

 

Okay, seriously, though - I'm wasting the fake lashes.  I'll refresh my skills and put them on this week!

Re: Itching for a buy...

@officegal - you are TOO FUNNY! 

I'm still trying to go to Sephora to have someone show me how to use false eyelashes. 

@ mermadelove  - I still have you in mind.  I will let you know how it goes. 

 

Some annoying members of my family are visiting this week..  so I can't go to Sephora.  They will keep nagging!  LOL 

"What's this for?  What's that for?  Do you really need that?  HOW MUCH DOES IT COST??!!!  ARE YOU CRAZY?! Why do you have to spend so much time in there?" 

I just hate their comments!   

LOL  

Re: Itching for a buy...


allegrissima wrote:

@officegal - you are TOO FUNNY! 

I'm still trying to go to Sephora to have someone show me how to use false eyelashes. 

@ mermadelove  - I still have you in mind.  I will let you know how it goes. 

 

Some annoying members of my family are visiting this week..  so I can't go to Sephora.  They will keep nagging!  LOL 

"What's this for?  What's that for?  Do you really need that?  HOW MUCH DOES IT COST??!!!  ARE YOU CRAZY?! Why do you have to spend so much time in there?" 

I just hate their comments!   

LOL  


LOL!

THanks! 🙂

Re: Itching for a buy...

LOL! That's so funny. I know what you mean, those are exactly the things I want to. Maybe if we spent less $ at Sephora, we could save to build our dream home!

Re: Itching for a buy...

@mermadelove - I know... it's shameful how much I've spent on... say, *cough*SEPHORA*cough* since those days in comparison to a measly $30 fine.  I was an unemployed teenager back then and eventually forgot it ever happened, but I have been thinking of revisiting the public libraries recently and will make the donation for sure. 

 

P.S.  I love how a makeup thread gets turned into one about libraries and the one about books can veer off into a discussion about makeup any second!  😉

Re: Itching for a buy...


officegal wrote:

 

P.S.  I love how a makeup thread gets turned into one about libraries and the one about books can veer off into a discussion about makeup any second!  😉


You never know WHAT you're gonna get around here! That's one of the things I LOVE about it!

BTW, did you ever read The Hours by Michael Cunningham? One of my favorite books of all time.....!

Re: Itching for a buy...

 


mermadelove wrote:

BTW, did you ever read The Hours by Michael Cunningham? One of my favorite books of all time.....!


 

I haven't!  But I watched the movie and thought it was well done.  Did you watch the movie?  What did you think of it in comparison to the book?

 

I find that it's hard to watch the movie and then read the book.  That's why I could never get into Harry Potter even though the series is right up my alley of interests.  😞

Re: Itching for a buy...

@voodoocat: I totally agree! My cart is loaded and waiting, too!!!!

 

@officegal: I never saw the movie because I was scared to! I loved the book SO MUCH that I couldn't read another book for like two months afterwards ( and if you knew how much I loved to read, this would be shocking)!! Everything I started paled in comparison. After a few months I was able to read Life of Pi.  LOL!!

 

@runy: I know! Some of these threads have turned into our living room!

Re: Itching for a buy...

@runy - Sorry we hijacked your thread, LOL.  But jump into the fray and take it back if you wish!  😄

 

@mermade - Wow, that is quite the rave review.  In that case, I think you might be disappointed by the movie.  I'll have to pick up The Hours at some point, on top of the mountainous stack of other books that are on my list to read.  And wasn't Life of Pi so great?  I went to a Yann Martel reading last summer and got my copy signed.  🙂

Re: Itching for a buy...

Gosh we really need a chat future on Beauty Talk.  I know someone suggested this on one of the boards- they need to implement it!

110 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • IMG_1467.JPG
  • IMG_1468.JPG