Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

Itching for a buy...

It's only been 2 weeks since my last beauty related purchase, and I'm already itching for a buy!!  Anyone else experience "withdrawl" symptoms from trying to stagger their buying?  I'm trying to save my buy for Feb.. but I almost feel like I can't wait!

Re: Itching for a buy...

sarithor wrote:

I made a purchase last night... I got Sephora Collection Age Defying Serum (I've been wanting to try their skin care line and I ran out of a serum just the other day)  and I bought 2 new fingernail polishes. Ever since I chatted with Officegal in her lounge post, I thought to myself, that I'm going to try and do my nails more often...

Oh no, I didn't mean to enable you to grow your nail polish stash!  LOL But what colours did you get?

I didn't have any anti-aging products among my skincare items and I've been concerned with lines lately, so I did some drugstore shopping, too.  Normally I'd run to Sephora and drop a few hundred on the best-rated stuff, but I got burned by some Ole Henriksen stuff not too long ago and decided to splurge low.  I don't know if you guys have it in the States, but there's a British drugstore line called Boots No.7 and their perfecting serum has been getting rave reviews online.  So I got the serum and the night cream, and they both make your skin feel so instantaneously smooth!  They claim to reduce the look of lines in 4 weeks but I think I already see a difference.

Anyway, yeah, I hit the drugstores and got those, some more nail polish Smiley Sad and a Burt's Bees cuticle cream.  Not terrible but I wasn't supposed to buy any new stuff either.

You know what's sad ladies?  I actually avoid going to some places because I know I will lose control.  Like Ulta, I legitimatly need to visit Ulta because I need hair conditioner, but who knows what kind of makeup purchases that will lead to?

@Officegal: What's the deal with Boots?  I keep hearing good things and almost bought something to try when I was at Target, but I had quite a few unfinished skincare items that needed attending to at home.  Their price point is very good.

It's best to avoid the traps if you know you're not strong enough!  Smiley Wink  Ask a friend or family member to grab the conditioner for you and don't go to Ulta.

I don't know if we're getting the full range of Boots products here (I'm in Canada).  I saw two lines of skincare products from them and they were both geared for older women.  One was the anti-aging stuff I mentioned dealing with appearances of lines, and the other was for even older people since it referred to "lifting."  Apparently the stuff just flies off the shelves when it's on sale, so the drugstores have been putting out a lot more of it at the front than they did before.  All I know is that my face is baby smooth this morning after using the serum and night cream last night and I'm so happy I didn't rush to Sephora to spend twice as much!  (Serum and night cream were both around Cdn$30 - a bit high for drugstore but still nowhere near as much as department store stuff and above.)

@officegal: I've seen the boots stuff, mostly  when I've been visiting family. Up here I've only seen one or two products. What are the ingredients like? I tend to lean heavily towards the natural-- except for UD and Too Faced-- a girl's gotta have her colors!

I know exactly what you mean! I vowed not to order anything until February but right now I have 3 things in my shopping cart. I'm delaying hitting checkout to see if I can fend off the urge. There are such good deals out there right now! Aargghhh

@officegal, I got 2 Sephora by O.P.I. colors, I got Read My Palm and Just a Little Dangerous. I'm really excited about them, cause really all I have are pinks, reds, nudes, black and a gold fingernail polish. Read My Palm is like a sea green, turquoise color and Just a Little Dangerous is a purple color.

@sarithor - ACK!  I was totally tempted by "Read My Palm" but I already have "Ocean Love Potion" and deemed the colours too similar.  Great picks!  You're going to love it in the summer especially!

@mermadelove - These Boots No.7 products are hypo-allergenic but not exactly made with natural ingredients.  I'll give you the rundown, though.

Protect & Perfect Intense Beauty Serum

"Clinically proven to make your skin look younger. Visibly reduces deep lines and wrinkles by up to 50% in 4 weeks."

IMG_1467.JPG

Boots No.7 Protect and Perfect Night Cream

IMG_1468.JPG

"Like I need some new clothes... but everytime when I get a chance to buy some, I always end up telling myself "well...its not like I'm naked or anything... I'll get clothes next time!"

I wish I could tell myself that!  I have so many clothes and shoes!  My problem is that I can't pass up a good deal, more than 50% off sale, coupon codes etc... and I'm done for.  I started a new rule for myself though that seems to be working for the clothes and shoes.  I ask myself if there are at least 3 things already in my closet that I could wear with it, if so, then I can buy it.  I put down a pair of 75% off suede purple wedges the other day because I could only think of 2 things I'd wear them with.  So proud!

Oh no, kalex... don't get me started on shoes and clothes.  There's a reason my avatar is a high heel pump.  I was a shoe-a-holic long before I became a makeup addict.  I also can't resist a bargain, and realized over the summer that I bought way too many crappy shoes just because they were cheap.  I actually counted... and I have 80-something pairs of shoes, all the way from designer dress shoes to Old Navy flip flops.  I'm mortified.  I haven't bought any since the bridesmaid shoes I was forced to get in the summer but it's awful passing by windows with signs that are screaming 70% OFF SALE PRICES!

Hahaha... I'm sooo not a shoes or clothes person. I use to be sort of... well clothes person. I've use to work for Gap Inc and Old Navy. Which Gap Inc is the company that owns, Gap, Old Navy , Banana Republic, and Piperlime, I worked at the call center for them. Then I moved to VA and I worked at an Old Navy Store... When I worked at the call center, my job was to shop with customers pretty much. They call to place orders and I would be online shopping right along with them, helping them pick out outfits and everything lol. I loved that job. Not all my calls were shopping calls, some were complaints of course, or other random things, but it was still a fun job. I would sit there allll day, putting stuff in my shopping cart, just waiting to go home or sign out to check out lol. I was constantly getting packages. Then when I worked at the store... I got to walk around all day and look at alll the clothes. I would go try them on on my breaks haha. It was bad... I spent a lot of money. Then I got shopped out.

Well... actually thats not true... I moved to MS and worked for JcPenney for the pricing and signing department, and since I got to see what was going on sale the day before, I had a shopping problem there lol. But after THAT I stopped shopping lol. I haven't bought clothes in a whole year!! Last time I bought clothes was when I was NYC for New Years Eve 2010.. so yeah... a year! lol. I'm proud of myself.

@officegal: THanks for posting the boots pics! Too many parabens for me. I save those for makeup products with color!! ?LOL!!

As far as shoes go..... Let me put it to you this way: I'm an environmentalist, dolphin lover, ofttimes vegan, etc. etc. My friend once got me a card with a cartoon on the front of a girl staring transfixed at rack after rack of shoes. The sign above the shoes said "FAB SHOES! SALE!" And as many of my friends call me Fab, she put a comma between Fab and shoes. The caption under the picture said: "Suddenly the plight of the blue whale and the rainforests paled in comparison." I never laughed so hard in my life!!!!!!!

I have a pair of Turquoise and Aqua High heeled MAry Jane John Fleuvogs that are my pride and joy. As I live in Rural VT now, they don't get much action these days...... Smiley Sad

And neither does my Express credit card!!!!!! (Thank goodness!)

Makeup & skincare products have replaced clothes & shoes for my #1 shopping weakness. I've always liked to buy makeup- you don't build a collection like mine in just a few years, but my primary thing that I shopped for used to be clothes & shoes. I really don't have the time, energy, or $ to do that much shopping AND go nuts on the skincare products/ makeup so very gradually over the last 2-3 years it's changed. I always enjoyed a good Sephora trip, but I'd only go about 2-3 times a year. Clothes, on the other hand, I was ALWAYS shopping for. Now I only buy a few clothes at the start of each season & that's it. I still have plenty of things to wear after all those years of shopping!

Mermadelove, I'm vegetarian & would like to be vegan, but can't seem to stick to that long-term. I've compromised by cutting back a lot on dairy & what I do eat I try to get organic as much as possible. Ideally I would like to do better with using natural makeup , but there are so many pretty things out there it's hard. I do watch the ingredients a lot in things I buy, in particular, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, etc. 

@daisy346: I was vegan for 2 years. I find that being vegetarian or even flexetarian ( occasional seafood, poultry) is the best thing for me long term. I do watch what I take in and do organic and local as much as possible and read ingredients on my products, but with my color, I do love UD (as everybody knows) and Too faced. I love Tarte, Buxom, and BE. I haven't used thier eyeshadows and liners-- UD is just too spectacular for me to pass up and Too Faced runs a respectable second. I figure if I;m caredul elsewhere I can play a little! Smiley Happy

Being vegetarian is easy for me. Since the day I started it, I haven't regretted it, or missed meat. Vegan is much harder. I do enjoy some dairy products. I figure by cutting back a lot it's good for my health & by using organic  I'm not contributing to animals suffering, so for now I'm going with that. I do try to eat mostly whole grains, beans, & veggies with just the occasional dairy item so it's not a huge part of diet.

mermadelove wrote:

@officegal: THanks for posting the boots pics! Too many parabens for me. I save those for makeup products with color!!

I guess my face likes the parabens because I tried using an entire line of skincare from Ole Henriksen and broke out like mad, and the particular thing about OH is that it's paraben-free.  Drugstore skincare seems to work better for me for some reason, which is maddening and kind of gratifying all at once since I don't have to spend quite as much $$.  I'm just afraid that 10 years down the road, there's going to be some kind of repercussion that I didn't foresee.

But I'm not so afraid that I'd turn vegan or into a huge environmentalist.  Smiley Wink  We're big on composting and recycling here in Canada, and our province has a $0.05 fee on plastic bags to try to reduce waste.  I do my part in that regard.

@ officegal: Some people are REALLY sensitive to natural plant extracts so the super pure stuff is ot for them. Lucky you because Ole is WICKED expensive! Not as bad as Caudalie, but still......

I think their pricing is actually quite reasonable, especially if you buy the boxed sets of the Truth duo and the Three Little Wonders!  Unfortunately the only thing that worked out for me is the Fresh Start Eye Creme.  Smiley Sad  Ah well... LOVE MY PARABENS!  LOL

@officegal: You know, my skin looks the same, and probably better, when I'm using my regular Neutrogena cleanser. I tried switching to Dermalogica's Special Cleansing Gel and Microfoliant about five months ago -- and while I like them, I have noticed that my skin did better when I used Neutrogena (I've used Visibly Even Foaming Face Wash (which contains exfoliating beads) for as long as it has been around -- probably 7, 8 years?).

I wish I could find something that worked better -- I've been wanting to try the Skin Resurfacing Cleanser and the Gentle Cream Exfoliant (also Dermalogica -- I think they contain lactic acid, and Lisa Eldridge talked about how great they were). Since I stopped using Neutrogena exclusively, though, I noticed that I tend to break out way more often (again, this could be hormonal, as I *just* turned 30). Maybe I'll go back to that for a while and accept the fact that my skin prefers $7.99 cleanser to the $50.00 variety.

: )

@katie1724, I KNOW, the truth is hard to accept, right???  I kept trying expensive stuff, hoping to find something that would make my morning/night experience luxurious and beneficial.... but nope, unsophisticated Cetaphil and Aveeno seem to work better!  I know someone who has the most marvellous perfect and creamy complexion and the most expensive thing she's ever used was Neutrogena!  It's crazy.  Maybe the less we fuss over our faces the better.

I do think my face does at least a little better using the higher-end stuff. I was okay with using drugstore products when I was in my teens/early twenties but after that my hormones went haywire & I needed something else. I'm always envious of people who have flawless skin & they use nothing expensive on their face. My sister has a friend who washes her face with bar soap in the shower & goes to bed without removing her makeup all the time....she has beautiful, creamy skin! So unfair.

I have a friend who is 54 and when we go out together we both get carded. Her skincare regimen? She lets the shampoo from her hair rinse down her face when she washes........ MY skincare regimen? WEll, you know....... 1000pt VIB!!!

18 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • IMG_1467.JPG
  • IMG_1468.JPG