Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

It Didn't Work For Me.......

i don't want this to be a hates or bashing thread. more of a general "i tried this thing and it clearly wasn't meant for me" rather than a "this is crap !" sort of discussion, if that distinction makes sense.....

i find these sorts of discussions helpful. you can learn 1. that you're not alone, or that 2. you were using a thing incorrectly and maybe it's worth another try or 3. that a thing you were considering spending your money on may not be worth the risk after all (though i'd take this last possibility with a grain of salt; everyone is different !!)

i'll post my list below Smiley Happy

Re: It Didn't Work For Me.......

Great idea @jemly.

I have one right now that just isn't working for me.

Urban Decay Naked Skin Color Corrector in Pink. I bought it as I was running out of my Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector. While it applies and blends easily, it doesn't give the coverage like the Becca one. I don't hate it, I just don't love it. I will use it up and then go back to the Becca one.

Another one I thought of:

Caudalie Resveratrol Lift Eye Lifting Balm: had hopes that it would work and lift even a smidgen but it didn't. I used it up completely as I paid quite a bit for it ($69 CAD) but I will never repurchase. It did moisturize the eye area but that was about it. 

• CAUDALIE detox mask. i used this (a deluxe sample size; i didn't spend money on it but i did use up points for it) off and on for a couple of months. my skin wasn't in horrible shape so i didn't notice any negative effects, particularly. then, early july, i got an angry spot on my chin. hormonal. i reached for this mask. the breakout exploded and an entire section of my chin and even a little bit of my cheek was full of angry, red, raised and weeping pimples. i kept treating the way i usually do (clay mask, facial oil). i quietly panicked as i thought my skin was changing and my usual go-to products weren't going to help me. a spot would heal and then 3 or 4 pores around it would erupt. it was dire. out of desperation one night--and realizing what i'd been doing wasn't working--i cut open my nearly empty PIXI mud mask and spot treated with that. about 15 minutes later i washed it off and everything--and i mean everything--had shrunk and lost it's redness--and even some spots disappeared immediately. within 2 days everything was gone and back to normal. that's when i realized what i was experiencing wasn't a hormonal breakout run amok, but actually a reaction to the CAUDALIE mask. so it went in the trash. there's just something in it my skin said NOPE to.
  • URBAN DECAY perversion mascara. i keep trying this mascara because i like urban decay and i frankly loved the name of perversion for a mascara (i'm a sucker). but while initially this works fine, within a couple of weeks (if not sooner) i find it makes my lashes look *too* volumized--giving the appearance of short, fat and stumpy lashes. so...nope not doing that again.
  • OLE HENRIKSEN truth vit c serum. i love how this stuff smells, i love how this stuff feels going on, and i love how this stuff makes my skin glow upon application. what i don't love is how with regular use i develop clusters of clogged pores on my chin. i think my skin can only tolerate very small amounts / irregular use of vit c, unfortunately, which renders it relatively pointless.

i'll add more to the thread as i think of them !

The truth vit c serum was not good for me either. I broke out from it.

I had a packet of the truth serum that I tried earlier today. I looked in the mirror a little later, and my skin was a little splotchy and I noticed a couple of small bumps forming. My skin has been behaving lately so I know it was the serum. I just threw the packet away. None of the products I've tried from them impressed me.

Interesting feedback from all on truth serum.. I've been a long time user (6+ years) but am working it out of my routine.. I'm not sure if my younger skin just tolerated better, but as I age and hold moisture less I think I just need more hydration. I saw no negative changes cutting it out, actually cleared up some areas a little that clogged easily before and very positive changes when I put in something new!

Skin changes over time so I could definitely see that.  That's great that you saw positive changes when adding in something new.

I tried the Tatcha discovery kit off of their main website, and it broke me out. I even got the one for sensitive skin. It was such a bad breakout that I refuse to try any of their products ever again. It seems to be popular among everyone else, but I won't use their products again. 

Pixi Night Serum - It didn't work for me, I noticed nothing different, I just noticed that when I stopped using it my skin was still the same, even better, I don't have many breakouts now, not that I had many with this serum. 

Hard Candy makeup setting spray - it smells exactly like the kvd makeup setting spray which is why i keep using it, only for the scent.. but it does nothing for me, in fact i feel like my skin gets oilier faster, but then again i do live in texas, where your face melts off when you step foot outside.

anastasia beverly hills brow definer - how do you sharpen the edges of this thing? when i see tutorials they are able to make a crisp swift line with it, but .. yeah, not repurchasing this again, i get the same effect with the nyx 'brow wiz' and for a much cheaper price. 

kat von d eye primer in fair - i like this product because it's practical, but after a while my eyelids, which are oily, show a shadow crease, it's worse when the days are extremely hot... it's a good product, but i think my lids are too oily for this product or maybe i should apply more in the crease.. but i'll stick to my holy grail (urban decay primer potion). 

Things not working for me now:

PTR un-wrinkle (turbo, lotion toner) been using for about a month and no visible changes. Can say lines haven't gotten worse and didn't break me out, but for as much money as the FS products are (I got a DS kit) I'll move on. 

Ole henriksen truth serum- Long time user but I think my aging skin needs more hydration.. Finishing up my full size bottle and on to new!

Tarte lights camera lashes FS- only the FS clumps my lashes like crazy.. travel size works like a dream.

NYX concealer (jar and pallete): got both to mess with under eye stuff before I bought more expensive things, neither of them really set and just smear over/off very easily. Time to invest!

Benefit Ka-Brow- I can see where this would be awesome but my brows are too sparse for it to look natural on me.

I find I liked the Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes sample more so than the large size. I guess they do this on purpose? LOL who knows...

Benefit They're Real mascara: I know this gets all kinds of love, and when it first came out I was so excited about it. Cue the disappointment...personally I found it to be clumpy and wet and even a bit irritating to my eyes. I thought maybe the sample batch was off, so I tried a different sample, but same results. Then I tried it again maybe 8 months later (in the meantime I was put on new allergy meds, so I thought maybe at the time I first used it there was some underlying irritation)...but the same results.

P.S: love the concept of and rationale behind this thread!! 💡

i agree--i hate it. it's clumpy and although it makes lashes long they get all stuck together and it just looks bad. it irritates my eyes/eyelids as well. it also makes my lashes fall out when i try to comb the clumps out or remove it at night. 

I just can't wash it off so I never use it! lol feels tar-like...=(

Oh I hate that mascara too! it takes forever to remove and is too thick and clumpy for me. My sister was looking for a new non-drugstore mascara to try and I gently steered her away from this one when she asked about it Smiley Very Happy

I have the same problem with They're Real. My eyes would always get super red and irritated after I removed it. 

During my 'let's not fight the curls' phase I tried  both Deva Curl and Ouidad.  I even got a 'curly cut' by the most awesome certified Deva salon/stylist in my city.

Deva Curl did not work for me.  I bought/tried all the products since they also have a sampler and many GWPs.  Even at the Salon after they did the entire 'Deva routine' my hair felt horrible.  I did LOVE the cut.  Did not love sitting under the dryer experience. My hair just felt greasy and heavy.

Ouidad is a little better but not the best for the results I want.  

I went back to Dry Bar.  Even though my hair needs moisture I prefer products that clean but leave your hair feeling light as air.  I prefer to use a moisturizing product after my hair has been styled for overall smoothness and shine not during. This is Dry Bar. (for me)

agreed on this x1675367589!! drybar continues to be my go-to for my unruly hair. (i have found recent success with a little b&b air-dry while wet for control/smoothness, so that's progress?!)

My go to 'detangler potion' has been Reverie Milk+ B&B Don't Blow it and ZERO frizz while air drying my hair in a pony-tail.  

This is the trick as many 'hair cremes' are very effective on me.  Allow your hair to 'air dry' but either pull it back in a pony or braid it. I do both.

good advice @wheeeee!

the b&b "air-dry" i was referring to was really don't blow it - it sounds like you have the same issue of not actually being able to air dry without some other help (for me, that help = my dryer and a round brush at the very end).

so yeah! i'll need to try that reverie in conjunction! my hair is too short to actually be cute in a ponytail/braid, but maybe i could try the combo overnight and let free in the morning?

Glad this just wasn't me.  I tried Deva Curl but it made my hair fall out in huge clumps.  It was crazy.  I am trying Morocconoil right now but I am not sure I am loving it.  I am thinking of going back to the Dry Bar stuff.  At least my hair is moisturized even if it is still frizzy.

IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness corrector. I bought it sight unseen because there aren't any Ultas convenient to me, and it is just too dark.

It does cover well, but it's at least 3 shades darker than my skin tone, so I'm replacing red blotches with dark yellow blotches, which would themselves need pretty full coverage foundation to hide. It's... not much of an improvement. It would work very well for someone with medium+ skin though!

Great idea for a thread! The biggest disappointment I've had in a popular product is Benefit They're Real! mascara. I get so many samples of it and always hope that if I try it once more, maybe it'll work for me, but it just doesn't. All of the natural volume I have in my lashes is gone and I get tiny, clumped-together spider lashes. Plastic brushes work well for some, but not me!

One that I was trialing recently that I had to stop using was Algenist Eye Renewal Balm. I had a foil of it and was using it nightly. I realized after a couple days I had weird little bumps all over my eye area so I stopped using it. That was almost a week ago, and since then I've been super gentle with my face and haven't put anything on my eye area. It's finally getting back to normal, just very odd that it's never happened with any other eye cream.

Anything from Peter Thomas Roth. The aha/bha gel didn't do anything. Didn't see results from sulfur mask. Irish moor mud mask and pumpkin mask irritated my skin. Cucumber one didn't impress me. The Irish moor mud cleanser was ok but drying.

I've been hesitant to test out my other PTR masks

260 Replies