Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

It Didn't Work For Me.......

i don't want this to be a hates or bashing thread. more of a general "i tried this thing and it clearly wasn't meant for me" rather than a "this is crap !" sort of discussion, if that distinction makes sense.....

i find these sorts of discussions helpful. you can learn 1. that you're not alone, or that 2. you were using a thing incorrectly and maybe it's worth another try or 3. that a thing you were considering spending your money on may not be worth the risk after all (though i'd take this last possibility with a grain of salt; everyone is different !!)

i'll post my list below Smiley Happy

Re: It Didn't Work For Me.......

Spoiler
test

The Chanel cushion foundation is a recent buy that absolutely didn't work for me. I really wanted a cushion foundation because I am perpetually running late and I loved the ease of use/on the go idea. I'd never been able to get the shade right, and I heard that shades in the cushion ran paler than shades in Chanel's normal foundation roundup. So I bought it. Well, it was a miss. It has about zero coverage (and I am someone who loves natural looks!) and it makes your face look vaguely glossy. If I tried to build it up it turned orange on my skin and the color mismatch was obvious. The smell was so strong it made me sneeze through the times I tried it. Plus, I had concerns about the packaging. When I returned it, the SA (at a different store from where I purchased originally, I'd been traveling) told me, "You are NOT alone in returning these, they have no coverage, also they leak and we had to send a batch back to the company." 

Two I can think of right off the bat are the Josie Maran Vibrancy Foundation and the IT Cosmetics Superhero Mascara. The Vibrancy Foundation I should've theoretically liked, but the color was wrong (strike one) and then it just seemed to slip and slide all over my face and never set. Then it sort of melted off? Ugh. Maybe it didn't get along with my skincare. I'm not the biggest fan of her line in general, though I do like her mineral SPF.

The IT mascara was recommended when I asked for a mascara that wouldn't smudge or flake. It had terrible flaking issues and it went bad faster than any mascara I've ever bought.

Couple products come to mind:

1) Tom Ford Illuminating Primer:  I got 2 deluxe samples.  I hate hate them.  I cant stand the scent (to my nose, it smells liked some kind of medicine went bad or pass expiration date).  I don't see the illuminating all i see is my face shine with oily look.  Wont purchase and even if i receive any more deluxe sample, i will give them away.

2) Tom Ford Radiant Moisture Souffle:  Many people love this and beg for the company to make it permanently.  I don't care for it.  I regret purchasing it.  I dont know what it does. I used probably 3-5 times.  I cant use it as moisturizer ... too dry and i cant use it as primer .. too thick. I had such high hope for it ... oh well.

3) Honorable mention: May Lindstrom Blue Cocoon.  I think the balm does what it says to do.  I dont like the scent and it tends to be oily on my face.  I finally found a routine that makes it works (my skin feel pretty nice in the morning after actually Smiley Wink) but i dont think i will repurchase again.  

Most recently would be the SK-II Facial Treatment Essence.

While my wallet is certainly happy that this didn't work for me, my face definitely isn't. So many people have raved about this product over the years that I decided to finally grab a bottle the last time it was a perk or promo.

I used it for a week and throughout the course of the week it progressively made my skin worse, with larger and larger patches of congestion popping up.  

I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar reaction to this product?

@Mochapj

I couldn't ever get on the SK II wagon.  

The essence seems to be their most well known product, and I am typically not attracted to brands through their "waters".  Sorry it broke you out.  I won't be trying it ....

@Mochapj I know few people that have had breakouts from SKII essence. I don't think it's a HG product for everyone. These were people who really wanted to love it so there was no bias or anything. 

That's said, my understanding is that the essence is more of a multi year treatment. I've heard more than once that you can't really expect to see real results until you finish a proper bottle or two. Most women I know that really demonstrate how good it is in their skin probably used it a decade ... at that point, is it this or just that these women care a lot about their skin. 

Thanks for the feedback @nche

i definitely wasn't expecting results overnight, I was just surprised that it broke me out so badly. 

i have a fairly comprehensive skincare routine already, so it's kind of comforting to know I don't need it 🤣

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but I feel I need to say it. Jouer highlighter formula is a crumbly mess. In their effort to make them buttery they forgot how important it is for the powder to stay pressed in the compact.

3 months after buying it I totally regret it and wish they would do returns. It's a crumbly mess every time I close the compact it shatters so when I open it I have to repress the powder. My wet n wild 3$ highlighters are much better quality!!

I'm using it everyday just to finish it, putting it on my collarbone, shoulders I'm a walking discoball LOL

Save yourself the trouble and skip it......

i can't believe about to say this, but....

GIORGIO ARMANI luminous silk foundation.

THIS USED TO BE MY HG ! i discovered it back around 2011(ish). i treasured the stuff. it was like liquid gold. i felt so flawless. i'd never used a foundation that made me feel GOOD and powerful the way this stuff did (it was the only high end "investment" makeup i had at the time, too).

these days, it is a slippery mess. i'm not more oily than i used to be. i don't know if my standards have changed. i don't know what changed. but it never sets. i feel like i look old when i wear it. i'll try to get through this last bottle of it that i have, then no more. i'm still a little bit in denial.

Wow! I never thought I'd see the day when jemly didn't love GA luminous silk foundation! The way you used to wax poetic about it still makes me want to try it even though I am definitely more on the oily side of the spectrum. 

i know. I KNOW. i can't explain it. but if i ever find a way to recapture the glory it used to give me, i'll report back ! 

Hopefully I can save a few people some money--Drunk Elephant! The C-Firma Day Serum didn't do anything for me and the TLC Framboos burned some spots on my skin and didn't do anything on the rest. The kit I got also had the B-Hydra gel, which is fine, but no different than any other basic, good moisturizer.

I am back in this thread yet again with another failed trial. I wanted to try a new lip balm that wasn't petroleum based so I went with Lanolips. The first couple of days were great and then I developed tiny scaley bumps on my lips. Stopped using Lanolips and my lips are much better. Apparently, lanolin is a very common irritant for people with sensitive skin (me). 

Rita Hazan Root Concealer Touch-Up Spray. I color my hair red and my hair is naturally brown. This didn't cover my roots at all.

Thanks for the heads up!  I've been looking for a root touch up in dark brown to cover greys between colouring.  If you find anything that works, let us know!

@missjeanie I use the Bumble and bumble color stick - it does a pretty good job covering my grey roots. 

http://www.sephora.com/bb-color-stick-P415754?skuId=1895838&icid2=bumble_lp_whats_new_carousel%3Ap41...

@molkie This is great to hear! I love Almost all of the Bumble items I've tried and was going back and forth between this and Rita Hazan. I bought a cheep stick from Walmart to try that sure didn't do much so was a little discouraged. Now that I'm thinking about them again, I'm leaning towards Bumble and Bumble. 

Oh, I have to add this one, as well ( this one is fresh )... Marc Jacobs O!Mega Bronze in Tan-Tastic! I had such high hopes for this one. It looked so promising in the pan. But, alas, once on my face the color looks nothing like it does in the pan. It is this terrible muddy orange color that looks awful, just awful on me! Such a shame. The texture/formula and finish are sooooo nice! So nice! *cries*

I have some swatches if anyone is interested. Maybe I'll just post them in the MJ or the Swatches thread later on...

@lyravega That's too bad! I really like it and it's pretty cool toned on my skin. I can try and find one that's even cooler if you like? Hoola Lite is lighter but the most cool toned bronzer I have is definitely the Sephora Collection Tranquil

266 Replies