Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

It Didn't Work For Me.......

i don't want this to be a hates or bashing thread. more of a general "i tried this thing and it clearly wasn't meant for me" rather than a "this is crap !" sort of discussion, if that distinction makes sense.....

i find these sorts of discussions helpful. you can learn 1. that you're not alone, or that 2. you were using a thing incorrectly and maybe it's worth another try or 3. that a thing you were considering spending your money on may not be worth the risk after all (though i'd take this last possibility with a grain of salt; everyone is different !!)

i'll post my list below Smiley Happy

Re: RE: It Didn't Work For Me.......

Vitamin C serums definitely have a tendency to be tacky after application, @ajcanik .  For me, by the time I've added moisturizer and sunscreen, it isn't usually that noticeable. But it's a shame this one was too sticky for you! I hope you find one that works better for you.

RE: Re: RE: It Didn't Work For Me.......

Thank you! I actually love Ole Henriksen’s vitamin-C Truth Serum, which stays tacky on my skin for roughly 3-4 minutes. I live in southeast Alaska & the weather here is mild enough that with my skin type I don’t really need to moisturize daily. I use a hyaluronic acid moisturizer maybe 2 times a week, and I only wear makeup a few times a month...so the serum is typically my last step on most days. I recently redeemed for a $100 rouge reward and have escaped a catastrophe by not using it on the Violet-C, which was on my “want” list for several months. I plan to just stick with the Truth Serum & will put the certificate towards the 100ml size of that!! Smiley Happy

Re: It Didn't Work For Me.......

It truly pains me to say this, but the Pat McGrath Subliminal Platinum Bronze just isn't working for me. Believe me, I've tried it every which way - bare lid, primer, primer set with powder, different brands of primer - and nothing stops it from creasing horribly. I'm not sure what the issue is, because I don't experience it with my other favorite palettes (Biba, Born to Run, NudePOP). Such a bummer! 

RE: Re: It Didn't Work For Me.......

This was my reaction with bronze seduction. I cannot make that palette work and everyone talks so highly off it( brought it full price from pat website and could not return 😩). I don’t know what I am doing wrong. It creases, it’s gets muddy, and there is so much fall out as half the palette is glitter. It’s my worst investment ever !

That's so sad it doesn't work for you! 

For me it’s the IT COSMETICS - CC+ Cream Oil-Free Matte with SPF 40 . bought it after seeing so many good reviews about it but it just doesn’t work for me. After few hours it starts to open around my nose and makes my pores look even bigger. I also found it difficult to apply as it has a glue texture. Maybe I just got a bad one.

Same thoughts! After a couple hours it already started se...

Same thoughts! After a couple hours it already started separating and exaggerating dry patches! Didn't go on as well as the original formula

@biaalmeida 💯 agree I don’t get the hype at all. My face was a greasy oil slick and I lean towards a more dry complexion. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I feel like SO many people absolutely love the TATCHA - The Silk Canvas Protective Primerand I've tried to like it but I just can't make it work well for me.  It doesn't seem to matter how/where I apply it or how thick or thin of a layer; regardless, I can't seem to make my foundation sit nicely on top and actually look GOOD.  After revisiting it--a few times--and never liking it, I'm finally OK with letting others enjoy it and moving on to products that I actually like using.

How disappointing, @WinglessOne!  That's too bad that you literally CAN'T wear it.

@CookieGirl1  On the flip side, I love Silk Canvas but can’t use it: I’m allergic to something in it. I learned that after buying the full size (back when Tatcha & other retailers kept immediately selling out of it; FOMO got me) and using it a few times, hoping the reaction was caused by something else—surely not my beautiful primer. Smiley Sad It worked so well beneath undereye concealer, too. I mean, minus the itchy bumps it caused. Sigh. 

If you've still got some to use up... I've found that whi...

If you've still got some to use up... I've found that while it looks terrible under foundation for me too, it works perfectly under tinted moisturizer.

@jemly   I have sensitive skin so I’m rarely able to use popular AHA products, no matter how weak. However when I saw FARMACY - HONEYMOON GLOW AHA Resurfacing Night Serum with Hydrating Honey + Gentle Flower Acids arrive on the scene, I was taken in by the gentle-sounding ingredients and name of the product, and jumped to buy it.

Unfortunately, I had to remove it from my skin within a minute of applying it. My skin was prickling uncomfortably and ended up reddened after just that minute of contact. 

The search for an AHA for wimps continues 😂

RE: Re: It Didn't Work For Me.......

Have you tried the Ready Steady Glow Daily AHA Tonic from Ren? This is one of my absolute favorite products EVER. I bought the huge 16.9-oz size during the spring sale. I’m not sure how this compares to other products you may have already tried, but it’s meant to be used as a daily toner & seems quite mild to me.

Re: RE: Re: It Didn't Work For Me.......

@ajcanik , i have this Ren tonic. I like it; but, it stings my face.  Did it do the same to u at first? @

@PinkEvergreen The Farmacy one uses 14% AHA and BHA Smiley Surprised

Idk if this will help or if you've tried but The Inkey List and The Ordinary have lactic acid serums and glycolic acid toners, around 7 or 10% concentration. CosRx and Paula's Choice have some AHA products too.

Maybe you could mix with another product to weaken it.

@PinkEvergreen  Ugh, sorry you went through that. What other AHA products have you tried? I don’t want to recommend something your skin’s already rejected. That Honeymoon Glow has 14% AHA, which is a higher % than the product I use. You might just need to look for something with a much lower % of AHA. 

I can’t try Farmacy’s AHA because of its honey content. Smiley Sad And 14% is probably too high for me, too. I use a 10% instead. 

I’ve had issues with almost every Drunk Elephant product I’ve tried. I know the standard response to that is “you’re not supposed to combine DE products with other brands’ skincare.” But that shouldn’t matter at all with cleansers, and I’m not willing to toss the rest of my skincare routine just so I can use one brand’s eye cream. Smiley Very Happy 

DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Tango™ Multivitamin Eye Cream - Tested it for 2 weeks. It neither firmed my undereye skin nor brightened my sun damage/lack of sleep/allergy-driven dark circles (though to be fair, the latter result requires longer testing). It wasn’t nearly moisturizing enough for my very dry undereye skin. And it pilled a lot, no matter how little of it I used—even when I didn’t layer it over any other product (no underlying serum) or layer anything over it. That was a very frustrating 2 weeks. 

DRUNK ELEPHANT - Pekee™ Cleansing Bar - I used it several days with no problems. Then my skin began its usual “ew, get that honey off me” rebellion: lots of new little bumps and scaly patches. That reaction usually happens within 24 hours of using a product containing honey; since Pekee didn’t immediately cause that reaction, I thought it’d be okay. I was wrong. Smiley Sad Worse, though, were the red sores and extremely scaly dryness Pekee caused on my eyelids. That’s never happened to me with a honey product before. I tossed Pekee Bar in the trash the day that happened and spent the next few weeks babying my skin to recover. 

DRUNK ELEPHANT - Beste™ No. 9 Jelly Cleanser - Another DE product that seemed fine the first few times I used it. Then caused a reaction of lots of new little bumps all over my face. Also, it wasn’t the best at washing away my sunscreen. 

I can’t say all DE products don’t work for me. I love Lala Retro in the winter. That’s the one DE product my skin tolerates, apparently. Good thing, too, because that stuff’s fantastic in windy subzero F temps. ❤️

@WinglessOne oh wow!! what ingredients should i avoid tha...

@WinglessOne oh wow!! what ingredients should i avoid that are bad for you? im not sure what ingredients i should stay away from in general

Re: @WinglessOne oh wow!! what ingredients should i avoid tha...

@Marrrryyyyy  If you haven’t talked with a doc about this yet, I’d start there. They should be able to list specific ingredients to avoid, including the common and scientific names of certain things so you know what to watch for. 

Also, research brands’ product pages before sampling or buying their products. If they use strawberries or blueberries as their source of vitamin c &/or antioxidants, they’ll probably trumpet that info in their marketing description, and you’ll find them listed in their ingredients. 

@WinglessOne I can't use face products with strawberries...

@WinglessOne I can't use face products with strawberries or any berries actually. gives me hives ! super crazy. I used a FAB coconut water cream and instantly had hives.