Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

It Didn't Work For Me.......

i don't want this to be a hates or bashing thread. more of a general "i tried this thing and it clearly wasn't meant for me" rather than a "this is crap !" sort of discussion, if that distinction makes sense.....

i find these sorts of discussions helpful. you can learn 1. that you're not alone, or that 2. you were using a thing incorrectly and maybe it's worth another try or 3. that a thing you were considering spending your money on may not be worth the risk after all (though i'd take this last possibility with a grain of salt; everyone is different !!)

i'll post my list below Smiley Happy

Re: It Didn't Work For Me.......

I have two deluxe samples of la mer moisturizing soft cream and i dont hate it.  I've been using it it in the am under makeup mostly.  But my skin hasnt had anything bad come from it.  That being said, i have no interest in a full size, but its not too bad.

Yea, La Mer has some nice ingredients mixed with cheap junk. Sea kelp is supposedly the main ingredient, but I bought 20 oz of sea kelp bioferment from the Bulk Actives website - $22 plus $27 shipping from Taiwan. Or $12 for 9 oz plus $22 shipping. US based Skin Actives has some too. Now I mix it into my shampoo and my Belif aqua bomb! And it makes my boyfriend's hair more manageable, fancy that lol

Wow, I was 2 seconds from using a sample on my face last night when I took a quick look at the ingredients. I never use petroleum products on my face (as long as they're identifiable) so once I saw the petrolatum, I stopped and posted to Insta/FB to see if anyone I knew had used it. Petroleum jelly as the 3rd ingredient really doesn't match up with the price. If it's the seaweed extract that is the expensive ingredient doing the real work, I would hope they could find a better carrier.

Thanks for sharing your results!

Spoiler
La-Mer-sample-(front-sized)-20161011_232605.jpg

La-Mer-sample-(back-sized)-20161011_232622.jpg

To me La Mer is so gimmicky. I see so many people who swear by their cream, but I just can't fathom spending hundreds for such a petroleum-heavy cream. I have eczema, and while creme de la mer doesn't aggravate it, it certainly isn't a miracle product either. Sorry to hear that you have had a hard time- definitely do stick with what's clearly working for you. Smiley Happy

Both of the Benefit mascaras. I have come to the conclusion I HATE plastic type brushes and they do nothing for my lashes. These two mascaras the formulas were so wet that my lashes just all stuck together.

Urban Decay Naked skin foundation. I want to believe I had a bad batch as so many love this. The color match was wonderful but in a matter of wearing it an hour my DRY skin was an oil slick and you could see every pore and fine line that I didn't even know was there.

I'm the same with plastic mascara brushes. There hasn't been a single one that has worked for me. They just make my lashes look horrible. 

I know that NYX's lip products are very hit or miss, but holy man. I really found a myself a dud in the soft matte lip cream in the shade Buenos Aires. I tried it all, folks. But the color just would not apply to my lips in any rational way (very thin formula with no chance of opacity). I'd avoid this one, for sure.

In the same vein, the NYX liquid suede cream lipstick in the shade Tea and Cookies was also a failure for me. Streaky, sticky, and somehow still drying? 

Call me a masochist, but I'll get back on the horse and continue buying NYX lip products. *shrug*

Let me rephrase: try at your own risk. If either shade works for you, you rock and the world is your oyster! Smiley Very Happy

I bought Jeffree Star's summer liquid lipstick set. Tried the first one yesterday (Watermelon Soda) and wasn't feeling the love. Liquid lipstick is my go to and after all the hype, I wanted to love it because of the color variety and scents. Guess I need to hit the trade board.

I also bought Watermelon Soda, it looked totally different on me and it was super streaky. 

Everyone I've talked to about the JS Summer collection has said it was a huge flop:/

Any and all non-waterproof mascaras. 

They actually make my already stick-straight lashes FLATTER.

Same thing happens to me @m26430

I don't think I've ever not had a weirdly sticky face after a sheet mask. I've put them on clean skin, used toner, patted the serum in afterwards, washed the serum off afterwards, and used all different types.No dice.

I'm beginning to think that my skin just does not appreciate being messed with.

I have the same experience and absolutely have to rinse my face after using a sheet mask. I was wondering if that's normal and how people don't seem to mind their faces feeling sticky! 

NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint- I really wanted to make this work, because it gives me decent coverage and I enjoy the matte finish as my skin gets oily throughout the day. Unfortunately I think it breaks me out, possibly because of the sunscreen in it. My skin is super picky about sunscreen Smiley Sad

OH Truth Serum- Another one I really wanted to love, because it made my skin smoother and helped fade my dark spots. It also broke me out however, but only if I used it a few days in a row. I want the benefits of using it consistently but my skin can't handle it sadly

Anything with too much rose or citrus- Maybe it's the fragrance or something, but these two ingredients just seem to irritate my skin. I avoid anything that has either or both high up on the ingredient list. It's sad because a lot of skincare includes these two!

I love the Nars matte skin tint, but I feel the same way I think it breaks me out the same thing happens to me with the Estee Lauder double wear. The coverage is amazing the color match is perfect, but after a straight week of wear I end up with more breakouts .

@liz089 ELDW is my go-to when I know I'll be out more than a few hours. I don't think it breaks me out, but my skin is very temperamental so it's hard to say. I think it has a little bit of SPF in it too? 

oh what a bummer. i love the velvet matte skin tint, but i frankly haven't used it enough to see if it  causes any problems. my skin has been oilier lately so i think i'll revisit it. 

it quite likely is the sunscreen. my skin can be picky about it as well.

seems like the OH truth serum is the common denominator in this thread. interesting.

I do think it's good for oily skin! The natural oils in your skin prevent it from looking too flat. Sunscreen is the worst, truly. I wish it wasn't such an issue, because it's not something I can just skip!

Vit C products are tricky I think. I was testing the Drunk Elephant Vit C serum but stopped using it because of possible breakouts. Will have to test it again soon

Hourglass Ambient Powders - I've tried several shades, and, while I love using these because they feel so luxurious and the packaging is so nice, they have never made me look "ambient" or "radiant" or at all different than just using my Rimmel Stay Matte powder. I wish I could get that glowy look, but they just don't seem to work for me. Maybe I'm too fair. 

Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation - this settles in every pore like no other foundation I've tried. It also makes me break out even though I have pretty tough skin. 

Dior Diorshow Mascara - it looks great on my lashes, but this is the worst mascara I've tried in terms of flaking. Funny story, I even went into Sephora to ask the sales associated for help with it to see if I was applying it wrong. She insisted that it was a great mascara and wasn't flaky at all, and helped me apply it the way she always does on clients. By the time she was done, I had flakes alllllll over my face. She said that was the first time she'd ever seen that.  

Makeup Forever Mist & Fix Setting Spray - this smells really bad, doesn't spray evenly, and makes me look oilier. I much prefer my UD setting sprays. 

Tarte blushes - I will preface by saying I have a strange love for Tarte blushes. On me, they are long lasting, I like the packages, and I like the color selection. However, every single blush color (with the exception of one) I have tried (and I have tried A LOT), pulls sooooooo RED on my skin. It could be baby pink in the pan and baby pink when I first apply it, but within a few hours it will turn RED. I look horrible with any red-toned blush so unfortunately I don't know what my problem is that I keep buying and using these blushes. 