Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

If you could go back and give your 18-year old self one piece of beauty advice, what would it be?

Hello ladies! Smiley Happy I'm one of the (few) 17-18 year olds who frequent BT (more often to read then to post) and I've learned so many amazing things from you people! Smiley Happy

So, I was wondering - if you could time travel and give your 18 year old self advice about makeup/skincare, etc what would you say? Smiley Happy

Re: If you could go back and give your 18-year old self one piece of beauty advice, what would it be

Oh yes let me add - DO NOT overtweeze brows.  Big lush brows are awesome.  It's ok to pluck strays and shape a little - but really, they do NOT keep growing back forever once you get older.

I waxed mine for years in the 90s when thin brows were in (or I thought they were) and now I spending all of my late 20s and early 30s willing them to brow back in a little Smiley Very Happy.

And yes, I second-third-fourth-fifth sunscreen.

I wore it on my face when going out in the sun for long periods, but I think I missed my neck/chest.

SUNSCREEN ON NECK/CHEST!

Re: If you could go back and give your 18-year old self one piece of beauty advice, what would it be

It's mostly the same as the other wonderful ladies Smiley Happy

-Wear sunscreen

-Wash your face, especially before you go to bed.  Remove all that make-up!

-Pick a good moisturizing cream and eye cream whatever the brand and price.  Choose what works for you and keep it going.

-Take care of the skin on your body not just your face.  Wash/Exfoliate/Moisturize.

-DON'T  play with your face/acne. Trust me!

-If something looks off go see a derm.

-Do facials.  You can do them at home, it's cheaper & your skin will love you for it.

-Don't over pluck your eyebrows

- I'm only saying this because some people are interested and it's important to be informed. I am not saying you should look into that but remember what I said if you want to look into it in the future. If ever you are looking for cosmetic procedures (in the future) like laser, laser hair removal etc (I started at a young age)  DO your research on lasers!  Go see a reputable dermatologist even if the price is higher than other places.  It's something you don't wanna mess with. Lasers can burn your skin and leave permanent scars. It's an investment.  Don't do it coz the price is cheap do it because you want to and because you are confident in the person doing it. I had laser hair removal years ago and still happy with the results.  In my case it was well worth it!  I also had a laser treatment in my face to remove redness and it also went well.  I trust my derm and he has a very good reputation.  I will only see him and I don't care about the cost.  If I can't afford it I won't get it done.  He's the only one I will go to.

- I started this later but researched ingredients and products. I'm not the best at it but I know more.  Good sources are David Suzuki Dirty Dozen list (google it) and The book No More Dirty Looks by Siobhan O'Connor & Alexandra Spunt.

- Most of all have fun! Play with your make-up.  Do was pleases you and don't try and change your make-up because some guy doesn't like it!  Screw him. If that's what you want do it!

Reading this thread was so enjoyable. Smiley Happy You ladies have wonderful advice! 

Highlighted

I forgot to add take care of your hair and protect it from heat styling tools! Smiley Happy

I did stay out of sun and turning 50 in Dec makes me feel proud at how great my face looks. But, I forgot one thing and it's my advice to you. My hands look old because I ignored them. Don't forget your hands. moisturize your hands as well or they will age and look wrinkled as mine do. 

I agree with everything everyone else has said about your face but also don't smoke and eat well and sleep well.  There are way too many preservatives in food today that will do who knows what kind of damage to your skin, so it's a good idea to not only watch what you put on your face but what you put in it. 

Go on Youtube and watch some videos to learn beauty stuff!

I'm only 19 but I definitely wish I started some of my current skincare habits and makeup techniques a year or two ago. I used to always sleep in my makeup and cover my entire face in chemical-loaded foundation.. makes me cringe just thinking about it ahhh!!

- always take your makeup off every single night! especially if you are struggling with acne, keeping your makeup on all the time is making it worse

- if you're struggling with breakouts, listen to your skin! for years I tried a ton of "acne fighting" cleansers with such harsh chemicals that it was just making my skin worse. once I switched to less harsh, more natural cleansers I actually had the clear skin I've always wanted

- don't pick at your blemishes and clogged pores! seriously if you just leave them alone your skin will look much better than if you pick

- the more natural, the better! (regarding both skincare and makeup)

I would tell myself to get into YT and go to beauty school!

Frankly, there would be two things that I would scream at myself if I could go back in time.  The first would be "Don't Smoke!" The wrinkles that cigarette smoking caused around my mouth were so avoidable.  Not to mention the pollution I exposed my skin to.  The other thing I would scream at myself would be "Keep Your Skin Out Of The Sun!"  My face at 50 years old did not need the damage I exposed it to all through my younger years.  I wish I had used sunscreen and wore a hat.  I love the healthy, bronzed look of sun kissed skin.  But I can get it in a powder without uneven pigment and wrinkles.  'Nuff said.  Excellent question!

I would have definitely said to stop smoking.  I hate the lines around/on my lips and the way my lipsticks feather into those lines and it was so so avoidable.

I would also say to floss.  It took me a long time to start flossing and I have a ton of dental work in progress and so much of it could have been avoided by flossing.

Makeup is not scary or anti-feminist.  I was curious about makeup when I was 18 but part of me felt scared of it, and another part of me felt like I was betraying the cause and of course both of those things are silly (though I definitely know ladies who feel like my transition into makeup land is a betrayal of feminism. w/e, i'll handle me they can handle themselves).

wash your face twice a day, not just in the shower and st ives apricot scrub is not an appropriate every day cleanser.  Be nicer to your face, you will want it to be nice to you when you are older.

In addition to being nice to your face, be nice to yourself.  Your body is fine, your face is fine, all of you is beautiful just the way you are.

Ugh, I would tell myself to stop wearing the cliché browns & pinks like everyone else. I ran with the artistic, alternative crowd and definitely should have had more fun with my makeup and the look I wanted to create that day instead of following what the mundane magazines said would flatter me. I would remind myself that I'm a leader, not a follower.

I would also convince myself to finally dye my hair that gorgeous shade of cobalt blue that I had always wanted because that was the last time I could have gotten away with it.

Always wear a good sunscreen (on your hands and neck as well as your face). Drink lots of water and exercise daily.

Then have fun with all kinds of color and sparkly makeup while you're young with no wrinkles. Enjoy yourself at whatever age you happen to be every day!

I would have told me not to tweeze my brows so thin, and not to smoke cigarettes. Geeze, the money i could have saved myself!

I'd remind myself to wash my face and learn a skincare regime. I still have acne and had it back then but just kept switching products so much that it never got better.

I would tell myself to not buy those Clinique 3-step products. Just because it worked on a friend it doesn't mean it'll work for my acne-prone skin. Good question!

I'd say ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS! Selfies everyday! Be grateful & relax. Wear zinc sunscreen. 

Dear 18-year old Bvnny:

1. Leave your eyebrows alone!!!!! STOP PLUCKING!!!! You're going to have a very awkward year trying to grow them back if you don't stop! Put Jennifer Connely pictures up to calm down.

2. Don't dye your hair black every month, and if you do...don't do it at home!

3. GET A TRIM! REGULARLY! You don't want split ends, do you?

4. Don't bleach, don't bleach, don't bleach! (You will overdo it and your hair will shed, dread up and have to be cut off)

5. Invest in sunscreen and moisturizer please, you'll thank me when you're older.

6. please GET SOME SLEEP once in a while >_<*

Dear younger me:

1. SPF daily, not just when going out in the sun. Luckily you love big sunglasses, and did back then too.... but they don't cover your nose. 

2. Wash off makeup ever night! You was really bad at washing your face daily in HS & college. Sometimes you would use wipes, but you've learned your skin doesn't like wipes.

3. Bleach blonde looked great on you when you were 17-20... but you hated that 6 inch trim you needed at 24 due to fried hair. No more foils... balayage is the way to go. 

4. I'm sure the lifestyle choices you made were not the best, but I hope you had fun Smiley Tongue 

Forget 18 year old LadyinWhite - Tell 13 year old LadyinWhite to bloody well start using a moisturizer!  I've got flaky skin in almost every picture from high school because I couldn't believe that someone with an oil slick like mine should even think about it.  Thankfully, I was straightened out in college, but I still wince at some of those pictures.

Reading these is so delightful. Smiley Happy

Great idea @marydiva! Here's what I would tell my 18-year old self: 

1. Put moisturizer & sunscreen on my face, neck & chest daily. And reapply sunscreen every few hours with a mineral powder, like the ones that come with their own brush - Colorscience or Peter Thomas Roth.
  2. Understand what kind of skin I have. Dry, oily, acne, combo, normal. I will use different products from my friends based on my personal needs. 
  3. No real sun or bed tanning. Wide brimmed hats & umbrellas are my friend. There are too many good fake tanning methods out now to risk future damage or skin cancer. 
  4. Treat my hair better. Know my hair type – dry, oily, damaged, coarse, fine, etc. and use products specifically for my type. Not because it's cheap and smells good! I have naturally dry hair, so I wish I had stopped washing it so often, protected it more from heat styling, and used only salon products meant for dry/damaged hair. I won't need to trim split ends if there are few to none that exist!  
  5. Stop picking at zits! Be gentle. Back away from the mirror! Creating a sore will make it last twice as long. Dab a little salicylic acid and walk away. 
  6. Learn how to apply makeup by getting advice from a professional or a lesson from someone who's makeup I always love - don't wing it. Watch tutorials online. Learn from professionals. Figure out my skin undertone to match foundations correctly. Most importantly, learn how to show off my features, not cover them up. Freckles rule! 

I never had issues with tanning and I am GLAD I didn't now- my skin is in much better shape than my BFFs and she tans a lot.

I didn't figure out until recently that black liner all the way across your upper lid and on your lower lash line can make your eyes look smaller/tired. I started lining half my upper lid, and only using mascara on my top lashes, and my eyes look bigger and brighter and I look much more awake. I now see a lot of young girls raccooning the liner or just doing their lower lash line black and I want to share my insight but dont want to offend!!

Stay away from the blue and berry shadow. One or the other!

Whimsically yours,
Janine

i agree with everyone here: don't smoke and wear sunscreen. the other i would do and should do more of is drink plenty of water and stop dehydrating myself.

Wear SPF everyday! Even if you have tan/dark skin and never burn, you will still get hyper pigmentation. *sigh*

Don't pop your zits, no matter how tempting!

Go ahead an get your very thick eyebrows waxed and have them maintained by a professional. Don't wait until you graduate from college. The pain really isn't that bad at all.