Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

I Need A No-buy Period!!!! How long?

Ahhhhhh!  I have just been going nuts with the makeup purchases since January! I have literally been buying up stuff as I see and want it!  I read a suggest that to cut back a bit I should go through a No-buy period unless it's a necessity. 

How long should a no-buy be? I was thinking a month but am scared a palette will come out I really want, lol. I'm a bit weak.

i think I need a little support with this one! 

This isn't going to include the palettes I have coming in the mail. I just am not allowed to make anymore purchases starting today for ??????.  

Re: I Need A No-buy Period!!!! How long?

You ARE right. I could be spending my money on way worse! 

Yeah, me too. 

Great responses from everyone!  

I try to treat makeup shopping like writing that angry e-mail to someone who has p*ssed me off.  Sometimes you just need to get it out of your system without really hitting send.  I will fill up my online shopping basket with everything I want/like.  Then, I'll let that basket sit for a week.  I'm often amazed when I go back at how many similar items I chose - and then there's the inevitable "why the heck did I want that?"  It is usually quite easy to par that basket down, and if there is still too much, I'll let it sit for another week.  Often, I end up making no purchases at all - I got the thrill of "shopping" by filling my basket with no limits (i.e., writing what you really thought about your ex-friend's new hair cut) without the damage of buying it all (i.e., hitting send).

Sometimes when there is something I really want but don't really need, I'll bargain with myself on a "reward" system to encourage me to do other things.  I recently quit smoking and gained about 25 pounds.  I really want (but don't need) another Urban Decay build your own palette.  So, I told myself I am allowed to buy one eye shadow for each 5 pounds lost, then the empty palette for the last 5 pounds.  This gives me the incentive I need, and assures I'll use the eye shadows because I had to earn them.

I do this too, load up the cart and think about it.  Sometimes, items go OOS and I either realize I didn't really want it, or did (usually with clothes) and forget about the item after a day.  I try to think of a void the new item would fill in the collection/wardrobe, if it would require ADDITIONAL purchases, and also if I have something so similar, I don't really need it.  I also sign up for cheap subscription boxes, so I still get packages, because that is half the fun!  

Congratulations on quitting smoking, and good luck with the weight-loss, sounds like a great reward system!

I do the add things to my cart thing too.... let them sit for a while.  The only thing is sometimes when I go to buy it it's out of stock!  

I love your suggestion about the reward system... I've been trying to lose about 30 lbs myself and that would be a great motivator!  I'm going to try it...

Oh I LIKE that! And congrats on quitting smoking! The 5lb incentive seems like a great idea! Good luckSmiley Happy 

If a long no-buy seems too hard right now, you could maybe try budgeting X amount per month on make up, that way you have to really prioritize, but still get still get to have some fun! Good luck!

I feel the same way! Literally since January as well. I'm trying to just limit myself. Unless a palette comes out, I'm trying to stop myself. Just bought the Jaclyn Hill Sigma Beauty Box today though. 

Ouhhhh, how are you liking that? 

I don't have it yet! I just ordered it this afternoon, but I will let you know!

That's something that's going to make my no-buy easier- I have stuff still on it's way, lol! 

Highlighted

I would do "project 10 Pan" this was popular around 07/08 I think and it did me wonders! Whenever I need to save or have too much, this always helps me! Smiley Happy

I'll take a look.

I don't know, for me I just go. Meh I don't need it and I usually try to buy what I need. Except for Chic Week, I feel like I binge brought. 

I have no buys for months, unless it's shampoo, conditioner, anything for sanitary reasons. I don't find make-up as sanitary necessities. I do find moisturizer, face cleanser as one. 

And if there's anything you can go on BeautyTester's disabler thread. Disabler kitty will help you disable your buying impulses. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 93 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors