Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

How greatly do samples encourage you to purchase?

I admit, I'm a person who is highly swayed by the samples available when I'm planning a purchase. I anticipate their arrival sometimes more so than the product itself. Do you hold out or hit the buy button based on what you see in the sample section? 

Re: How greatly do samples encourage you to purchase?

Vagueness to follow. It depends. I agree often I will wait depending on the sample offerings. 

Sometimes it will make me pull the trigger on something I was planning on buying anyway. For example Origins had an amazing deal a few weeks ago that was a full size cleanser free with $35 purchase on top of the usual deluxe samples that they offer. It was an awesome deal and I had planned a purchase there anyway. 

I hate the foundation samples so often I'll wait until there are more fragrance or skincare samples before I make a purchase. 

Did you just describe me in that paragraph, haha? I love samples so much and I do admit to anticipating their arrival more than the products!

I usually have a few things sitting in my cart waiting to be purchased. I will revisit the website for

several days checking to see what samples are being offered. I'm glad to see there's someone

out there like me! 

It goes both ways for me.  If I need to stock up on items and there's a really good selection of samples, I'll probably order sooner rather than later. Likewise, I tend to look for the best selection of samples when I do decide to order.

I am such a sucker for a good sample offer! If there is something I'm on the fence about a sample can be enough for me to purchase it, perhaps just because I'm looking for a way to justify it to myself. I will also admit to placing small orders just to get a sample I've been eyeing, perfume samples of scents I love that are a bit too pricey can sometimes be enough to make me place an order. The perk of Rouge free shipping!  haha

Guilty times a million!!! I have tons of products in my loves list which I can purchase all at once but what fun is that. I check the samples a few times a day to see if there are any new ones I want as well as the weekly deluxe sample offers. I'm a sucker for free stuff but on the other hand Sephora is smart because most times I like the sample and purchase the full size. So I spend money on items I probably would never have thought to buy if I didn't try a sample.

And then there is the Fan Friday freebie too! Can't forget that one. 

I too have ended up enjoying several of my samples enough to purchase in full size. 

Right now I'm wanting Fresh Life perfume thanks to the sample I tried and wishing I had made the jump when the free roller ball was out there. 

I usually have things in my cart for when a good promo code comes along.  I do check the sample section regularly and will buy something if something I really want is in there.  And I'm a horrible sucker for good GWPs.

I say 1 out of 10 samples I get, I end up buying the full size. There has been many times where I get a sample of a product that I wanted so badly and I just hated it on me. I have drawers full of samples and I really try to get to them all, but it is so dang hard!

Samples never really throw me from making a purchase. If there is absolutely nothing I want I may hold off a day or so in hopes they'll change. What gets me are the deluxe mini bags like the ones we had at Christmas. Unfortunately I missed out on those. I didn't have the money at the time so they sold out before I got to them. I wanted the Tinsel Twinkle which was the third one to sell out. 

I have the horrible first world problem of not wanting enough. I can't find stuff I love and when I find things I kinda like I over think it and talk my self out of it. It's part of the reason I still haven't picked an Urban Decay Naked Pallet. I can't decide, put it off until a good gift with purchase comes a long, then realize I don't have the money to get it and put it off again. One day the stars will align and I will buy one.  

I am more so swayed by the promo codes. If there is a good new one, I will most likely find something to buy. Hint hint Sephora make another rougedior code

No.  If I want it or need it I'll buy it.  I guess if there was an amazing sample on there that I really wanted it could sway me to make a purchase quicker than I intended, but generally speaking I don't know anything about the samples being offered so I don't have strong opinions on them either way.

If it's something I need, I'll try to get the best samples for me by waiting a few days or planning it around the deals. If it's just something I want, then only the really good deluxe samples/promo codes will sway me. If there's nothing I need or really want, then no sample can encourage me to buy.

I won't ever buy stuff to get samples but I will get samples, try them and often choose my products from the samples I've tried.

Would it be petty of me to say that both the sample selection and the available promo codes influence my decision to make a purchase?  Since so many other retailers usually have both free samples and gift with purchase offers, I usually make comparisons between Sephora and other sites to see who has better extras before making my purchase.  As I'm not usually an impulse shopper, only outstanding promo codes and not foil samples would encourage me to make a purchase with Sephora for just something that I don't immediately need.  

I only buy when there is a great sample, GWP or it is an item I know will move fast item.  If it is an item I can buy any time, I am not motivated to buy it at full price (meaning getting nothing with it).

Sometimes - the Glamglow eye treatment sample a few months bag made me justify something I had been wanting to buy, and I bought a mini mascara to get the 5 deluxe samples that were out last week. The promo codes are really what get me to hit that buy button, though Smiley Happy

Well if there is some really good promo code for deluxe samples, I buy the product which I regularly use a little earlier than needed 

I am a sample hoarder. I have made purchases just for samples before. Not necessarily foil packets, but for good promo codes. I think it's easier now that I'm rouge and don't have to pay for shipping, I'll throw a $20 lipstick or blush or something in order to get a good promo code. It's bad. My sample boxes are overflowing so I've been trying to use them up and make a dent in my stash. 

I almost always fall for putting in an order I wasn't planning on it a good promo (the deluxe sample type) comes along. And I will hold out on ordering if there's nothing I want in the 3 free samples or promo codes.

I even fell for the 5 free samples thing last week. I mean really, 2 extra tiny samples made me blow $30 without blinking. 

I giggle a bit inside when I see the "no samples" option. Who the heck clicks that!? Smiley Very Happy

Also, sometimes things are tossed in my bag while checking out at a store that I never woulda taken a look at. Like the Soap & Glory lotion sample that the chick put in my bag on Valentine's. They were never on my radar before but now I am obsessed with that scent and I want more and more Soap & Glory stuff!

So yeah. I know samples are all just marketing tactics, and I don't care.

I will happily keep falling for their tricks. Smiley Tongue

32 Replies
Conversation Stats