Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Fake reviews

Has anyone noticed that when you look at a review 9 times out of 10 it’s not a verified purchase? Or a beauty insider/Beauty VIB has not posted the review? Many a times I look at the dates and they either are posted days apart or even on the same date. I am getting frustrated because I do count on our community of beautiful people to give their honest opinions on a product I intend to purchase. What are your thoughts my friends?

Re: Fake reviews

I can empathize @irngal I actually do receive free products from time to time for my HONEST review. Even if I get something for free, I think its important to provide honest feedback because 1. Helps companies improve 2. Helps buyer make a great purchase. Its unfortunate that people just say good things to get free stuff but not everyone is in that boat. I, myself, also filter out when reading reviews because the freebie folks are just like "great product" ok, what's great about it? It's frustrating but hopefully you're able to still see some detailed/honest reviews! Also, it's important to keep in mind that everyone's skin hair nails are different so it's great that sephoras return policy is amazing so you can always try it for yourself and return if it ends up being 💩.  I find that a lot of hyped products are just ok LOL

I agree! I am noticing this too and I just want honest opinions. I have started noticing this in the q&a, but not as much, and I think that the q&a section is a little more realistic. 

Yes they are all incentivized reviewers not every product is a 5 star from everyone. 

@irngal   Yep, sad to say there are a lot of fake reviews on Sephora. Using the Verified Purchase button helps, or looking for the Incentivized flag (in fairness, some incentivized reviews seem very genuine and honest - I know that I would give an honest review even if I were incentivized, not that I've been lucky enough to get free product to review!). But I find the best way to spot a fake review in general is by the language they use. Like, "cute packaging." Who gives a flying bleep about the packaging when you usually throw it away? It says nothing about the effectiveness of the product itself. Or if they've taken language directly from the product description. I mean, when have you ever heard someone in real life describe their hair as feeling fresh and revitalized? Or - dead giveaway - "would" buy again instead of "will" buy again.

I think it's fantastic that you're learning to spot the fake reviews. Brava!

LOL @Westcoasty flying bleep 🤣🤣🤣🤣

@jaaayp  Sometimes I pretend to be ladylike. LOL

It used to be a lot less obvious I can attest to that - but now I really use those filters to only see non-incentivized reviews, or see the most help ones and then finally check comments for people complaining about fake reviews too now.
I actually turned to other websites to find more honest reviews (like reddit) since at least I think a lot fewer people have anything to gain or lose saying the truth over there.

I was really upset because a few months ago I wrote a negative review on the Dr. Dennis Gross Daily Peel Pads and it was never uploaded/posted. It made me mad because there are so many good reviews on that product, but it completely ruined my skin. I started to think, "what other negative reviews has Sephora not allowed to be uploaded?". Since then I am very careful when trying out new products and take extra care when looking at reviews and ingredients. 

@SimplyAffy I think it could be that something in your review wasn't in-line with Sephora's review policy. I've had that happe before where I accidentally listed a direct competitor in a review and it never got posted, but I removed the name later and reposted and it was fine. Or another time, my review was a bit harsh and never got posted, but I changed one word later and re-uploaded and it worked. So I think there's a bit of trial and error that is involved. If you saved your review somewhere like in your notes app, maybe you can try tweaking it and trying to post again?

Screenshot_2023-01-18-18-36-21-32_b9b440bea98e19c0c03a1fc62c732a42.jpg

How much or how little you spend on something has been proven to psychologically alter your opinion on it. I'm most disappointed by products with 100's of five star reviews and not one is written my someone who actually shelled out $69 on the one ounce serum (looking at you skinfix). 

@sarahshter  I see your point. It is rather disappointing but I would hope that if you wanted to get some real input from folks who have tried the product, that you could rely on BIC for that? I tend to take most reviews with a grain of salt but will always come back here if I want real input and if I am not willing to test the product for myself. I've got a few of their products at home but have not tested any myself so I can't give you my honest opinion, sorry.

@irngal A review isn't necessarily a "fake" review if it isn't a verified purchase.  For example, there are products that I've purchased directly from a brand website or from a different retailer but I leave a review for that same product on the Sephora site.  However, it won't show up as a verified purchase because it wasn't purchased at Sephora.  I also realize that a lot of reviews are incentivized and I agree with you--I tend to take those a little less seriously BUT that being said, there are plenty of us that will give honest opinions and feedback regardless of whether we were given the product or not.

Yes this! And there are many genuine reviews that are simply people misusing the product or complaining about aspects of the product that are not even what the product is meant to be for.
So really is a job to find the reviews to trust, but I've been fooled big time about that new Urban Decay Quickie concealer, so now I am just turning to makeup artists on YouTube who aren't afraid to call out brands to get my first look on new products of interest if I can't check it for myself in store any time soon.

@CookieGirl1  I agree a review isn’t fake if it’s not verified but I do find there’s so many influencers reviews that are out there and it’s easier to sort through the reviews that you know have been purchased and I feel like you get a better review from the ones that have been purchased. 

I wasn’t aware of these things but I’m glad you told me. Thanks girl. 💕

Personally, I will leave reviews if I have a sample or deluxe size promo or points rewards (as long as that gives me enough product to judge) and those don’t show up as verified, since they weren’t purchased, but are still legitimate reviews. Sometimes I’ve purchased things at Nordstrom that I review at Sephora, or even purchased at Sephora but if it’s been a long time they don’t show as verified.

Now, I have definitely been seeing a lot of reviews for brand new releases that are incentivized and don’t seem very legitimate (I.e overly positive) and that’s disappointing, but generally I don’t discount automatically if it’s incentivized, I just take into consideration that they didn’t pay money for that product. I’ll have to weigh from the context of the review whether it seems thoughtful and truly tested (wear time, quality of formula and packaging, etc.)

Sometimes I’ll search by verified purchase, or sort to see both positive and negative/neutral opinions to see what seems legitimate and resonates with me. @irngal 

@sister13  I need to review a sample to see. Because I noticed the other day a sample I have that it asked me to purchase again. So I wonder if it counts as a verified or not. Hmmm. But I agree with you. I also think if you pay money for something you tend to be  a little more hard on the product vs if it was free. I like to be hard on everything because I don’t like to say I like something if I don’t. Or wouldn’t recommend it.

I had no idea how this worked. But it makes sense. Thank you girl 💕

@irngal  I totally get your frustration. I get super frustrated too. I depend on honest reviews to make my decision. I like to sort my reviews to only verified purchases to help really get an idea or I like to just make a post and ask the BIC directly! Most of the time you will get a ton of people that will give their honest experience!!! 

Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 94 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
Photos1
  • Screenshot_2023-01-18-18-36-21-32_b9b440bea98e19c0c03a1fc62c732a42.jpg
testing