Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

Does anyone else dislike drugstore makeup?

I know this may sound harsh, but I really dislike all drugstore makeup. I'm sure there are many products out that are of great quality, even better than some high end makeup, but I have never found a drugstore product that I have liked. I've tried primers, foundations, powders, eye shadows, eye liners, mascaras, lipsticks, lip glosses, and lip stains, but each product has left me disappointed. I've also tried makeup removers from the drugstore, but they also left me disappointed. Does anyone else dislike drugstore makeup? I've stopped trying drugstore makeup all together now because every product has left me disappointed; which led to quite a bit of money being wasted. I only get high end makeup now because I am rarely ever disappointed with my purchases.

Re: Does anyone else dislike drugstore makeup?

I don't hate drug store brands but I don't generally buy them either.  If there is a trend that I'm not sure about (like the Dior It pink and purple colored mascara and liners), I'll buy a cheap one and if I can work with it, then I'll go out and buy the high end one I was eyeing (sounds stupid but a couple of days after I bought the pink Maybelline mascara, I think it dried out because I could barely get any color on the brush).  I find that drugstore brands don't last as long as my high end items.  I used to buy Avon Gel Pencil Liners  (I feel bad if I buy one Avon product a month... my friend that retired from work sells it to subsidize her income) and even though I made sure the cap was placed back on tightly, they would dry out after a couple of uses. I buy cheap gel liner but other than that, I usually go high end.  But I do love NYX though.  But then again, they don't sell them at drug stores here.  And they sell them at Nordstrom's so I use that as my excuse, LOL!  I don't know... It depends on some stuff but my first make up purchase was from a high end make up brand (Prescriptives) and my mother and grandmother always bought high end so I guess that's kinda where I get it.  No offence to drug store brands...

I've used plenty of lousy drugstore products...and plenty of lousy high-end products as well.  Being boutique is no guarantee of quality.

I use whatever products work, and it doesn't matter to me what brand they are or where I buy them.

I dislike drug store products in that I can't test them out to find proper shades and test the texture of items. People rave about drug store products, but I find when I go those type of stores I'm totally turned off by not being able to play with the item. I'll walk toward the L'Oreal shadows and get bored in about 6 seconds trying to assess shades through the packaging. The strange part is I do tons of shopping online where I obviously can't play with the product. However, I shop at places like Nordstrom and Sephora who have incredible return policies so I'm completely comfortable shelling out my coin for risky products.

I am full blown brand snob now.  I've bought into the hype for various drugstore products in the past (I absolutely do not trust magazine beauty editor's recommendations anymore) and have always been disappointed.  One that stands out in my mind was the Revlon Colorstay 16 hour Quads.  I fell for the Annual Beauty Award BS these received or year or two back and bought 3.  They were horrid!  (Seriously, you would be hard pressed to find a worse eye shadow.)  At least I only wasted like $20 right?

I just remembered the Revlon Lip Butters too.  Those are ok.  I bought a handful of those and actually kept a couple of shades.

Ooh yeah! They always feel so gross on my lips! I'm a total brand snob too, I have the idea that more money = better quality, which of course is not always the case, but hey, the packaging sure does look prettier either way! Smiley Wink

I don't necessarily hate them, but I haven't really been impressed with most of it. Even though it's fairly cheap, I don't like that there are rarely any sort of testers, so I've ended up buying a lot that weren't really good. I do however, buy some drugstore makeup removers as well as brushes (specifically Sonia Kashuk pro brushes) that I really like.

But the above is really only true to American/Canadian drugstore products. Have you seen what is considered "drugstore" in France? La Roche Posay, Embryolisse, NUXE, Caudalie, Phyto, and more. When I visit France, I always stock up on my French drugstore skincare products since they're usually a fraction of US prices.

Drugstore brands in Japan and Korea are usually pretty good too. Shiseido has a drugstore line called Majolica Majorca which focuses on eye products and they're amazing! Kanebo also makes tons of drugstore lines. AMOREPACIFIC also owns a ton of Korean drugstore brands as well.

Majolica Majorica and Kiss Me Heroine's mascars are definitely one of the best I've had

I love Majolica Majorca's mascara! I haven't tried Kiss Me Heroine's yet, but I've heard good things about them. Japanese makeup is super cute. Creer Beaute currently has Sailor Moon eyeliners!

I completely agree with you about testers, I used to have a box of about 15-20 drug store foundations that I hated, over half of which because the color applied differently than it looked in the bottle. Even professional makeup artists usually have to apply 2 different shades to see which one is better most of the time. 

I second the Sonia Kashuk Pro brushes, they are really good - I have a few in my collection. The regular Sonia brushes are not as soft/good quality though. 

I haven't experimented much with drugstore makeup just because I was already into Sephora for skincare before I started wearing makeup. 

but I did try things that I don't necessairly need, but would like to have like under eye concealers, concealer brushes, bb cream, and mascaras just because people were saying they were better than high end ones (which I think wouldn't be likely)

I ended up throwing them away after 2~3 usage because they were nothing like what I would get from higher end brands. 

If you go to urban outfitters, some of the Asian makeup they carry are actually pretty great. 

They are not Burberry eye shadows like quality, but Etude house's eye single eye shadows are pretty good 

Peripera's tints are better than benetints, and I personally love the face shop's velvet skin primer. 

Skin food's eye shadow sticks are really nice 

I guess as a man whose been wearing makeup for a number of years, I would never understand why the big name lines are so much better than the drugstore lines. Is there really that much of a difference?  Would MAC cosmetics,and the Sephora brand be considered the lower end cosmetics because of their respective pricing? I don't wear it much any more so I most likely won't buy much. 

I have tried over 30 foundations and there is a huge difference between lower end and higher end foundations. MAC/Sephora brand would be considered on the lower end. I find that cheaper foundations don't typically last as long or stay in place and a lot of them oxidize, which is what causes them to turn more orange after applied. I have never loved a foundation until I found Chanel Perfection Lumire, but I think its around 50-55$ a bottle. You should pick up a sample of a higher end foundation next time your at the mall and you will see the difference. 

Many of the drugstore brands are owned by the same people who own high end brands such as Armani and YSL, do some research and you'll find that many products marketed by these brands have nearly identical formulations, but with one you're also paying for the brand name!

Almost every big name makeup company is owned by a handful of parent companies. L'Oreal owns Urban Decay, for example, but the formulas for products from either brand are hardly the same. LVMH owns Dior, Givenchy, Guerlain, Makeup Forever, and more, none of which are drugstore brands. Estee Lauder owns MAC, Tom Ford Beauty, Bobbi Brown, and La Mer. Shiseido owns Cle de Peau, NARS, Decleor, Majolica Majorca, and Maquillage.

L'Oreal own's UD, huh? Wow, I didn't know that! Cool! Isn't Lancome kinda like the big sister line/owner to L'Oreal?  I know Clinique owns Ojon and Estee Lauder or maybe it's Elizabeth Arden. That's a wild chain! Somebody has got bank flow & roll (& lot's of nice pretty's at their expose anytime they want.....ah, to dream)!

Estee Lauder owns Clinique and L'Oreal owns Lancome. The main parent companies include: L'Oreal, Estee Lauder, LVMH, Shiseido, Proctor & Gamble, Albion, AMOREPACIFIC, and a few others. But these parent companies own the majority of mass produced beauty brands. However, the parent companies often let the individual brands research and develop their own products. Although L'Oreal owns Lancome, Lancome as a company often does their own R&D, for example.

Got ya. Interesting & I suppose that is why they have some similarities and then go completely opposite, Kinda like Clinique & Origins, huh?!  As where Clinique is all hypo, non-cosmo, etc. and Origins is all plant/natural based, and so forth. I was told a cpl months back that Clinique was working on (in the process of) removing all the yuck stuff out of their products (like the parabans, sulfates, etc.)! I wish & hope that it's true but don't understand that they just came out w/ some new items that have those things in them. I want to try their new chubby cheek stick (like I don't have enough) & the chubby stick tint for lips even though it's smaller and I read a review saying it's a "No-Go". I like them (well, I like almost any kind of good line based chubby crayon for the lip's but skipped out of Marc J's due to all the reviews a/b bad color & severe dryness). Now, that was a mouthful! hehe

Right. Typically all of these brands started out as their own company, but along the way they were purchased/acquired by one of the big names. So it's not uncommon to see two brands with differing markets be owned by the same parent company.

yes  this is what went through my mind at first too. BUT i do think marketing and brand-intent plays even a non-cynical role in how we perceive and experience products ? 

99 Replies
Photos3
  • troll_doll.jpg
  • upload_303701792499673030.jpg
  • 20140831_150430 (2).jpg