Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Do you ever get embarassed when the cashier says your points out loud?

I do like almost all the time.

Friendly Cashier Lady: "With today's purchase you have [insert number over 500 here] points would you like a perk?

I feel my face turning bright red as everyones head turns. I feel like I wanna crawl into a hole but I don't know why.Smiley Sad

Re: Do you ever get embarassed when the cashier says your points out loud?

Hey, vanityprincess, just found this thread...good topic! 🙂

About the points, I totally agree with mermadelove on that! 🙂

About the birthday singing, I think it's great for others, but I'm way too shy to be on the receiving end! 🙂

@bee & prettyinpa:  I don't know how many times I've gotten to a register and not had the money to pay.  I almost never have any cash so if a store doesn't take a credit card then I'm in trouble.  I have tried the emergency cash thing over and over but it seems like everything is an emergency and I never replace it no matter what the amount so that's why I'm better at sticking with credit cards to keep myself in line, ha ha! Smiley Very Happy

Re: Do you ever get embarassed when the cashier says your points out loud?

Don't be embarassed vanityprincess! Just think of it like this...when all of the heads turn they wanna see the girl who makes so much bank she can afford a lot of stuff at sephora! "Check out that girl! She must be makin'  serious bank! Maybe she's a high-powered executive or a famous author!?!" LOL.  Even if it's not that much bank, they don't have to know;) You're an enigma.

Tags:

Re: Do you ever get embarrassed when the cashier says your points out loud?

It doesn't really bother me that much.  It's a part of the business.  Plus I wouldn't want to miss out if I had enough points for something I would be interested in.

On the other hand, the birthday singing at a restaurant...

Totally agree with the birthday singing (and clapping and stomping) in a restaurant...now that's embarrassing,

I don't get embarrassed about the number of points I have.  I do hate it when your checking out and the cashier has to get a price check on tampons, pads, or that size X shirt you bought (even if you bought it to be baggy).  It's like really - do you have to let the world know what I'm buying?

@lashreece: I know -- I think that's so rude! I work retail occasionally, and I don't think it's ever appropriate to comment on anything other that saying it's a pretty color, etc. Once someone was like, "Did you try this on? It runs...small..." while eyeing me. Eek! Also, the last time I was checking out with tinted moisturizer, the cashier swore it would be way too light for me -- and INSISTED (despite my saying that I was on a lunch break and was in a rush) that someone come over to color match me with three (!) darker shades. Naturally, the person came over, swatched me, made a face and said, "Uhh -- this is definitely her color -- the others are way off..." I'm sure she was trying to be helpful, BUT...

@lashreece:  I agree that a cashier should just ring up your purchase and skip any comments.  I've been embarrassed on more than one occasion when the cashier has announced loudly that she needs a price check on panty liners and other purchases that I really didn't want announced to the entire store.  🙂

@katie1724:  I would have been so mad at the cashier over the tinted moisturizer thing. Smiley Mad  You are so nice in letting them go ahead and color-match you.  I'd have been about to blow my top--that's going way too far! 🙂

I remember once I was ready to check out and buy a powder at Kohls and the sales lady came straight up to me and said "that shade's not for you" and the shade was perfect because I bought it before and I'm pretty sure I was wearing it in the store too...ran out and came back to the store to stock up again. What a "insert bad word here"! AND that day, there were a couple of 13-ish girls that were playing with the makeup and didnt put their trash away and she accused ME of not cleaning up. She said something like "you need to put that there trash where it belongs". Like #@$$#%, should have found her boss that day and complained. Never bought anything makeup, skincare, or fragrance from Kohls again.

To answer your Q though...I dont feel embarrased when I have a lot of points. I get mad that Sephora has stopped giving away good 100 pt and 500 pt gifts! I havent been interested in ANYTHING for about a year now.

I don't have that particular problem, but I do get embarrassed when they make comments like "Wow, You've been here a long time."  I live about an hour away from my nearest store so my visits tend to be a couple hours long. I find things online I think Ill like and try them in store. and I'm indecisive to begin with. And I just love it there.

@kristamarielund- I hate that remark about how long I've spent shopping in a store too!  Any store is at least 50 miles from me, so I actually dedicate whole days to shopping, since it takes so long to get there and I need to go to many different stores to take care of all the items on my list. (This is not as fun as it sounds, I just don't get thrilled at the Home Depot or Farm Supply, but sometimes I need to fix something around the house or land).

Then, of course, I have to actually try stuff out/on, otherwise, what's the point? I really hate when associates give me the "fisheye", like I was there so long because I was going to steal something!

I don't usually spend more than an hour in the store because usually I will have stalked the products I want online and if I go to a store I make a beeline for them. What usually gets me in trouble are the things I never considered when shopping online that catch my attention once I'm there and can play with them in person!

@kristamarielund & prettyimpa:  I hate it, too, when a SA comments on how long I've been in a Sephora.  I live between 2 and 2-1/2 hours from the closest Sephora, and even though I always have a shopping list, I still find all kinds of products that I want to test and read about.  So I've been known to spend 6 or 7 hours (I'm almost embarrassed to admit) in Sephora looking around and testing and just having fun.  But it kind of puts a damper on my fun when one of the SAs says something about "I noticed you've been looking a long time, may I help you find something?"  I have explained to several of the SAs that I live a long ways away and that I am just having a shopping field trip and some remember me and don't bug me because they know what I'm doing for so long, but it never fails that there is a newbie that makes some sort of remark.  It used to bother me more, but now I try not to let it bother me, because I feel like it's a public store and as long as I'm not going around making a mess of things then I have every right to spend all day if I want.  So I try not to let anyone or their comments ruin my fun in Sephora anymore! 🙂

@tenngal: I thought so, too! I let them do it mostly to prove a point, thinking there was NO way any of those shades was going to be a better match! The product in question was LM Tinted Moisturizer; I had Porcelain and she suggested Nude, Sand and another one. He didn't get any farther than Nude before confirming that it was way too dark and yellow-based. I don't know why, but I must just look darker than I really am sometimes -- maybe it's the blush!

I'm totally with tenngal on the emergency cash thing! My husband gets forever frustrated with me for not having cash. The trouble is, my logic is tht if I have cash, it's already "spent" out of the account so it's like free money. If I use a credit card, I have to account for it later on. So I think harder about what I'm buying when I put it on a credit card, knowing I have to pay it off at the end of the month! (I don't carry balances!)

I may seem backwards, but it works for me. Cash gets spent waaaaaaaay too easily!

i agree! Smiley Happy

i think cashiers should just keep all comments to themselves!

Tags:

Well, I wish SAs would advise me to try things on more often, because I once bought a blouse where my hand didn't fit through the sleeve and another time bought a turtleneck that would not let my head go through the neck. If they had advised me to try on their sub-par clothing, I would not have purchased them. And I swear, I do not have a giant head or giant hands. I'm a perfectly average sized person who now always tries on clothing before purchasing no matter what.

@officegal:  ROTFLMAO!  After you said you didn't have a big head or big hands talking about the clothes not fitting, I just got this picture in my head of a cartoon character with a little petite body with big hands and a big head (ha, ha)--I wouldn't of even thought of it if you hadn't said that (LOL)!  Sorry, but I did need the giggle and seriously I wouldn't have even imagined that except for your comment (ha, ha)!

@mermade - Thanks! I'm sure your Hall of Fame status is just around the corner. I've noticed that our statuses move up in the same order all the time, so I think it has to do with seniority/when we signed up for Beauty Talk rather than our contributions.

@tenngal - Glad you're laughing! I threw that in there in case you guys mistake me for a mutant. 😉

@Officegal: I have a friend who NEVER tries on clothes and almost NEVER returns the stuff that doesn't fit. At least she is patient about me trying stuff on. I would hate to go shopping, be all excited about something, go home and have it not fit! 😞

Oh, congratulations on Hall of Famer Status to you and Katie too! 😄

@mermadelove:  We think exactly alike on that!  It may be backwards logic, but it works! 🙂

4 Replies
Conversation Stats