Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential
|

CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

I realize a lot of us are in the same boat, being addicted to makeup and beauty products and desperately trying to control stashes that are bursting from train cases, drawers and cabinets.  We have the Traveling Sephora Box ("TSB") to swap products with one another and temper some of the addiction cravings to go out and get new stuff.  I have another idea to assist with resisting the temptation to continually buy new things.

I propose that for an entire week, we shop our own stash and dig up things that we haven't touched for a long time.  Whatever you've accrued the most of, each day put on something different, whether it's eye shadow or blush or lipstick.  Then report back here and post what you wore each day!

I'm going to wear a different eye shadow, lippie, and blush each day.  I have so many of all three categories but always find myself reaching for the same colours. It's time to branch out!

For example, tomorrow I'm going to wear:

- Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in "Pale Pink" for blush

- Dior Lip Glow

- Stila Eye Shadow in "Chill"

I haven't touched all three of those in weeks and months.

Re: CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

@sarithor - You're frigging amazing!  Seriously, it's kind of crazy but you applied those colours really well!  I also love the bronze & teal combination from the previous pic - I LOOOVE looking at blue/bronze combos but never got up the courage to apply them on myself.

@tenngal - You totally belong in this thread.  I can't wait to see your pics!

Today I wanted to figure out how to wear MAC's Coral Crepe Paint Pot.  It was from their Pret-a-Papier collection and I bought it because I thought it could be used on lips/cheeks as well, but it hasn't quite worked out for me.  I adore the colour but it seemed weird to coral on the eyes.  But I had a hankering for corals lately and thought I'd be adventurous.  So I wore it as a solo shadow, concentrating the colour close to the lash line and diffusing it out softly almost all the way up to the brow bone.  No one said anything except my sister who thought I was nuts.  (But she thinks half of the beauty stuff I get into are nuts!)  Anyway, the point is I rescued a beautiful pain pot from going to waste, because now I'm looking at videos and tutorials on how to use it to create a non-crazy look.

IMG_2055.JPG

@sarithor: O.M.G!!!!!! I LOVE that look!!!! Thanks for sharing pics!!!

@tenngal: Getting rid of some make up to make room for new makeup is cheaper than buying a bed!!! Smiley Very Happy

I can't wait to see your pics, especially after reading all of your awesome advice. You must have a looooooooot of makeup!!

Although, did you see the thread Kalex started called Count (If you Dare)? There was one beauty junkie who said they spent $10,000 on makeup in the past 4 months ( at Sephora) and had a whole room of it!!! So I think they may have you beat! Smiley Happy

@sarithor, I'm in total awe of your looks! You really know how to work with colors. I have a tendency to just wear shades of brown for eyeshadow (like the Naked Palette), black eyeliner & black mascara. I feel inspired after looking at your pics!

@sarithor: Love the look! I'm like daisy, though...I hardly ever deviate from browns / greys and neutrals, or, when I'm REALLY feeling daring...wait for it...maybe some plums. I would like to experiment with more color, though!

@tenngal: I need to do the same -- cleaning out my stash to make room for new things. The problem is, my process normally goes like this:

1. I think, "I'm going to clean out my train case(s) and bags (/ other places I hoard makeup)..I can do this!"...

2. I take one look at staggering amount of products I've "collected," some of which I've had for years, but I can't throw them away. I then feel guilty that I have not used many of these things at all, and I rationalize that I WILL use them!*

3. Sigh and decide to do something different instead...l think I'll log onto Beauty Talk!

(Repeat)

*Note: The products that are able to be used -- I wouldn't use anything that has expired, and I do toss mascara / foundation, etc.

Smiley Tongue

@tenngal, that's so pretty! I'm with you, I'm completely confused by cameras Smiley Happy But I love seeing pics of people's stuff...the palettes in particular look good in pics, I've noticed. I always stare at them lustfully.

@katie, I have a really hard time getting rid of makeup too. I just threw out a couple of eyeshadows that were super old, colors I never wear anymore, and 3/4 gone anyway, plus an eyeliner I hated & never wore. In a way I suppose it felt cleansing to get rid of them, but at the same time it actually kind of hurt me!

Thanks everyone!! Sometimes you just gotta experiment with colors.. You wouldn't believe how many looks I've tried that are colorful that did not work at all LOL. One I remember in particular was actually with the Ammo Palette. I used Grifter and Last Call together, cause you would think it would look good together cause they are both purpley colors... Well they do look together, but apparently not together on my skin tone. I thought it looked good when I left the house but the whole day everyone kept asking me at work if I felt OK? and I was tired? My manager even asked me if I wanted to go home cause I didn't look too good.. She said my eyes looked red and swollen and I had huge bags!!! It was all because of my eye make up... I haven't used those 2 colors since I was so traumatized!

@sarithor: ROTFLMAO!!! I'm sorry I am laughing at your Urban Ammo trauma, but that is just too funny!! At least now you  know if you ever need to leave a lame party or whatever early, that combo will have people sympathetically sending you home!

@tenngal: I love your pics! Re the full face pics: I take my pics with my iPhone and eventhough it has a feature where you can flip the orientation so you can take a picture of yourself, 9 times out of 10 I also get the huge nose effect! That's why so often I have the goofy side view pics-- otherwise I look like a puppy who's gotten too close to the camera!

I did take pics of today's look once I got to work, but I didn't get a chance to post them yet. I will tomorrow!

@daisy and katie: I think we should make one of our future challenges a rainbow challenge where all of us have to come up with some version of sarithor's rainbow eyeshadow look. We don't necessarily have to wear it out of the house, though!

I'm on board for the rainbow look, but totally second the "not necessarily out of the house" part.  LOL!!! 

I should add that we probably should try this when husbands/significant others are out of the house too, mine would drop dead if he saw me with rainbow look!

I'll do it, as long as I don't have to leave the house! Also, like prettyinpa said, I'd prefer to be home ALONE when I try it, lol. Although it can't be too much worse than how he looks when he goes hunting. Sometimes he wears some kind of stuff on his face that's almost like makeup. I forget what the purpose of it is. He also has a pair of weird looking things to put over his shoes in very cold weather. I don't know what you call them, but they look like a pair of huge booties. Ridiculous. Don't even get me started on the no-scent soap he has to shower with, plus the baking soda....and the washing of the hunting clothes with no-scent detergent and then hanging them in the woods to dry. So yeah, he has no room to talk if I do weird makeup things.

@daisy 346:Yeah, my hubby doesn't have a leg to stand on either with the hunting face makeup!  It's so that the turkeys and deer don't see a white face while he's hiding in bushes. Insane!!! Once he couldn't find his brown "Makeup" and I had an eyeliner that smudged no matter what I did with it, so I gave it to him for hunting makeup (which I always call "Hunting Makeup" right to his face)!!! And I laugh when he tries to wash off his hunting makeup because he thinks makeup remover is for girls so he uses soap and complains a lot!!!

But it doesn't keep him from remarking on "Your eyeliner is too bright" or the classic "You have lipstick on your teeth". Grr.

@mermadelove, he has gaiters too (he wants to get me a pair but I said no) but what I'm talking about is something even more ridiculous. They're huge and puffy and you can't honestly compare them to anything but booties. I don't think he walks in them; he puts them over his shoes when he's sitting in the tree stand if I'm not mistaken. Supposedly they insulate your feet when it's freezing outside.

@ daisy346: Yeah, and those booties come in the always attractive camo color! The only use I ever found for those was when I made the mistake of trying winter camping (darn near froze my fanny off) and they did keep my feet from getting frostbite.

That's exactly right- they're camo! Nothing like camo booties. Winter camping sounds bad! We went camping Labor Day weekend and it was so cold even then. I could feel the temperature drop as we drove up the mountain. Then when we were almost there I realized I forgot the keys to the cabin so we had to rough it in the tent. It was in the low 40s overnight. I could deal with that, but what I didn't like was NO RUNNING WATER OR BATHROOM. It's terrible trying to wash your face with just cotton balls and toner. Next time I would definitely take along some of those make-up remover wipes for the face, or even baby wipes would be better than nothing. I was sooooo ready for a hot shower by the end of that weekend.

LOL, my husband family hunts, but he doesn't really. He wants to start going hunting with his dad and uncles again, but he really doesn't have the patience to sit there in silence all day hahaha. He even admits that himself. He said thats why he hated going hunting when he was younger. We go fishing together though... well, I sometimes fish, most of the time I gold pan. Its really calming sitting on a rock in the river with your feet in the water just gold panning away... I love it. I haven't found anything so far, but when I was younger and use to do it with my dad, I've found specks before. I wonder if my dad still has the little jars of it.

Yeah, I definitely recommend experimenting with a rainbow look or any crazy color look on a day you don't have to go anywhere or be seen haha. If you mess up it can be a disaster. The funny thing is, if I do a really good job on a look, I try and find ways to go somewhere so people can see haha. I'm so weird.

Tags (1)

OK, since I just found the “challenge of the week” post last night, I went through my makeup bin to find something that I could use for both “colorful eyeliner week” and something that would be “shopping my stash” at the same time.  So, today I wore:

- Urban Decay Deluxe Shadow Box Palette (used the colors Honey and Peace to line my eyes over a white (Yeyo) eyeliner pencil)

@sarithor:  Thanks for the idea!  My version of shadow over white eyeliner didn’t turn out as colorful and pretty as yours, but I had fun with it anyway…

- Urban Decay Lipstick in Rush (I pulled from my stash—I hadn’t worn that color in forever because I’ve been on a light pink kick lately)

- Anastasia Brow Gel (deluxe sample that I got a while back—I usually just use Cover Girl clear mascara instead of spending the big bucks on clear brow gel)

I tried my hand at photography again.  And again it stinks, but here it is…I’m gonna keep at it until I get it right!

Makeup030211.JPG

EyeLiner030211.JPG  (See my red allergy eyes!)

@daisy - "He said he didn't know makeup was like painting where you have to put a primer on for the first coat."

LOL!  That sounds like something my husband would say!

My husband has a bottle of Irish Spring in the shower, deoderant and shaving cream in the medicine cabinet, and that's it!  He doen't even come close to understanding why I *need* everything I do.  I'm glad he doesn't hunt, but maybe if he had hunting makeup and special soaps he'd be more understanding!

Today's look was acheived with the following:

Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy

Fyrinnae Arcane Magic eyeshadow in Faerie Glamour

Tony and Tina eyeshadow in Being & Being

UD Ink for Eyes in Pyrotechnic

UD @4/7 eyeliner in Ransom

Too Faced Lash injection

Snow  Bunny Bronzer by Too Faced

UD Pocket Rocket in Doug

Etsy True Colors irridescent micro glitter

Etsy True Colors eyeshadow in some color that doesn't have a name, but it's a sheer beige with periwinkle blue shift.

Ok, I just realized the picture is wicked dark. Sorry beauties!

syos3.JPGsyos3s.JPG

Cute look again, mermadelove!  So tell me about Fyrinnaea, are the colors long lasting?  Easy to wear?  How do they compare to say, UD?

And, did you know their website is closed?  Just logged on and it says that it is closed, what's with that?????

@prettyinpa: They are a REALLY small company! They process all of their orders and make all of the makeup themselves by hand! Because of tht, they periodically shut down on taking new orders so that they can catch up on the backlog. I once got an $8 refund from them because they felt they took too long to get my order out to me. I didn't ask, they just did it. ( How's THAT for customer service?!)

Their colors are rich and intense, especially used over their Pixie Epoxy ( I also use this for glitter and the UD Black Palette colors). When the website comes back up, take a good look at the swatches. They don't give the full depth of color of the shadows, but you get an idea. I don't wear them often because they are not really work appropriate for my taste. Smiley Happy

GIve it a few days and check the site again.

Have fun!

@ Mermadelove -Just checked out Fyrinnae.  Right now I just see powders, primers, bronzers and highlighters- no shadows.  Do they rotate product based on what they are making at tha time?  Either way I'm intrigued......

@lashreece: The Fyrinnae shadows are all loose minerals. I've never gone to their site and not seen the shadows. May be just a fluke?

359 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos69
  • dontuseoften.jpg
  • medontuse.jpg
  • toofacedtogo.jpg
  • toofacedtogo2.jpg
  • maybelline.jpg
  • maybellinelook.jpg
  • IMG_1538.JPG
  • mufelipstick.jpg
  • mufelipsticklook.jpg