Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

I realize a lot of us are in the same boat, being addicted to makeup and beauty products and desperately trying to control stashes that are bursting from train cases, drawers and cabinets.  We have the Traveling Sephora Box ("TSB") to swap products with one another and temper some of the addiction cravings to go out and get new stuff.  I have another idea to assist with resisting the temptation to continually buy new things.

I propose that for an entire week, we shop our own stash and dig up things that we haven't touched for a long time.  Whatever you've accrued the most of, each day put on something different, whether it's eye shadow or blush or lipstick.  Then report back here and post what you wore each day!

I'm going to wear a different eye shadow, lippie, and blush each day.  I have so many of all three categories but always find myself reaching for the same colours. It's time to branch out!

For example, tomorrow I'm going to wear:

- Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in "Pale Pink" for blush

- Dior Lip Glow

- Stila Eye Shadow in "Chill"

I haven't touched all three of those in weeks and months.

Re: CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

@officegal: I really love that Sephora shadow palette, too! It would be really pretty for highlighting... 8)  (<---- crazy eyes, not sunglasses)

@mermadelove: HAHAHAH at "CRASH" that's me falling off the bandwagon

SO true. 

xoxo,

Your fellow beauty "collector"

: )

I didn't see this earlier!

mermadelove wrote:

Well, I HAD to get some of those 24/7 eye shadow pencils......and the new Tarte Amazonian clay blush. I NEEDED a coral and since the 500 point perk for Coralista was gone by the time I was ready to order, I figured I should just order a more natural blush......and I NEEDED the All Nighter make up setting spray. My foundation was rubbing off on my winter coats and scarves....... And the Midnight Mambo nail polish was limited edition and y'all know how much I love sparkles......and.........

and........

................hopeless junkie dedicated collector............

Smiley Very Happy

Umm... how is the Tarte clay blush?  *soooooooo curious!!!*  Thank goodness I got my Coralista in time, phew!

Since we're confessing, I actually did some drugstore shopping recently and also picked up some haircare stuff today for an amazing deal.  $5 each for a Phyto elixir and Kevin Murphy style cream!  I saved like $50 right there.  Other stuff were $2 lip balms (NYC, Bath & Body, Lip Smackers).

My god, we are hopeless.

@officegal: I'll let all you ladies know about the items in the new haul as soon as I get it. I only ordered yesterday!!! I was kinda bummed not to be able to get the 500 point perk I wanted. I have so much skincare right now that the Boscia set didn't appeal to me, although I have tried some of their stuff and like it. I don't love it, so I didn't ge tthe perk. Although Idid hear from katekatastrophe that Sephora is going to start 1000 point perks soon ( she works for them) so our beauty junkieness will be paying off!!!! I hope it's a good one. Or Ihope they have a UD or Tarte perk soon. I love those brands!

@mermadelove "Although Idid hear from katekatastrophe that Sephora is going to start 1000 point perks"

NOOOO!  That will just encourage me to shop more!  I'm at 900 points right now.  I don't need incentive to shop!  The 500pt perks lately have actually been a deterrent to shopping... I tell myself I'll wait to buy most of what I want when there's something good! 

kalex wrote:

@mermadelove "Although Idid hear from katekatastrophe that Sephora is going to start 1000 point perks"

NOOOO!  That will just encourage me to shop more!  I'm at 900 points right now.  I don't need incentive to shop!  The 500pt perks lately have actually been a deterrent to shopping... I tell myself I'll wait to buy most of what I want when there's something good! 

Tell me about it........ Ithink that's the whole idea!! I'm over a thousand now so I was gonna get the Coralista, but sinc eit's gone, I'm forced to hold out for something better-- and refill my cart-- but not just yet-- I have to let the order I just placed get to me first!

Excellent idea!

Prep:

Anastasia line serum

Smashbox primer

Foundation: Stila Illuminating tinted moisturizer in #1, Benefit's Boing cover up.

Color:

Eyes: Too Faced: Steel Magnolias all over the lid and brow, Dirtbag in crease blended down to eye lid, Oscar in inner corners, Estee Lauder liner in Walnut, Loreal Double Extend Mascara in black

Brows: Nicole Miller brow pencil in blonde

Cheeks: a blend of Benefit's Dandelion and Too Faced's Whose Your Daddy?

LIp Stick: Estee Lauder in Cranberry Cobbler.

What a great idea!  Can't wait for tomorrow!

I'm running behind--

Sunday I wore:

Prep:

Anastasia line serum

Smashbox primer

Foundation: Stila Illuminating tinted moisturizer in #1, Benefit's Boing cover up.

Color:

Eyes: Estee Lauder Ivory box over the entire lid and brow bone, Camouflage on the lid, honey drop in the inner corner, Stila waterproof liner in black, Loreal Double Extend Mascara in black

Brows: Nicole Miller brow pencil in blonde

Cheeks: a blend of Benefit's Dandelion and Too Faced's Whose Your Daddy?

LIp Stick: Estee Lauder in Cranberry Cobbler with Lorac's 3D on top.

In the interests of science, I did not remove the Stila waterproof eyeliner.  I wanted to see how well it would survive overnight.  Well, count me impressed!  It needed a tiny touch up on the lower lashes, but otherwise still looked great. 
Decided to test it further and left it on for my aqua therapy--I'm in rehab, working on getting my legs to work properly!  Well, despite the very warm salt water in the pool and my sweating and splashing around for an hour, the eyeliner stayed in place.  I wanted to push the envelope a bit more and carefully avoided washing it off when I showered to get all that salt off.  Still looking great!  Put Monday's makeup on over it.  Way to go, Stila!

Monday's makeup: 

As above, only Estee Lauder eyeshadows in Bronze Cube and Ivory Box.

Used to be able to buy EL at Sephora.  Not anymoreWoman Sad

Today: I've just GOT to put something on, I've got errands, but it's dark and gloomy and icky out and that's influenced me--so far I've only managed to moisturize with Yu-Be's Moisturizing Skin Cream and put on the Nicole Miller eyebrow pencil in blonde.  Looks like it's going to be one of those days....

Sarah!, I soooo heart you for the photographs!  You're totally an inspiration--I'm going to try to learn how to work mine.

xxoo Maggy

Steph1126 -

My dear I don't believe that the comment implied that you are lacking common sense, instead it simply meant that most people would not use something that has clearly gone bad.  You are right however, that some people lack common sense or simply do not know what others consider common knowledge. 

I'm certain the 6-month reference was in regards to some ridiculous articles Sephora's blog has written in the past regarding expiration dates.  I found one and this is their guidline:

One Year: Blush, Eau de Parfum, SPF
Six Months: Facial Moisturizer, Eye Makeup
Three Months: Mascara, Concealer, Liquid Foundation

http://blog.sephora.com/2009/12/beauty-spring-cleaning-what-to-trash.html

The mascara I agree with.  Otherwise I think there might be some conflict of interest going on here on with these "guidelines".  Same goes for the dates imprinted on the products by manufactures - $ (and lawyers as previously mentioned).

@steph1126: As it was my comment, I can clarify -- but kalex is right. I believe I stated that "It's just common sense." I certainly did not imply that you personally lack common sense; I was just stating that smell / separation, etc. is a good indicator that a product has gone bad, and I was pointing out that certain products really *are* good for two years, per the manufacturer (though I agree with other posters that powder products are good for longer than 2 years with proper care). I always toss mascara after three months, and earlier if it starts to clump or smell, because I don't want an eye infection.

@saritthor -- I also agree that they need another distribution center! In addition to missing the East Coast for many reasons, my last (and only) order took about ten days because of "West Coast" delivery times. I can't really complain, though, because I live near three stores, all of which I can get to without driving (and more that I can get to if I drive). Are you in southern California? I'm glad your situation was straightened out, but it made me dread going to the DMV (unrelated, but made me think of dealing with proof of residency -- aagh! I still haven't gone despite being here almost two years... Smiley Sad)

@katie1724, Yeah I live in Southern California. In a small town called Ridgecrest, CA. Its pretty much only here because the Navy Weapons Base is here. Its more popularly known as China Lake (though there is no lake, we live in the high desert). My hubby works there as a civilian. Its near the Mojave Desert and Death Valley and Tehachapi, CA and about a 1.5 hours South east of Bakersfield and about 1.5 hours North of Lancaster, CA haha... thats how I have to explain to people where I live cause its such a small town. I can literally show you the whole town probably in 15 minutes. Traffic to us is there is like 5 or 6 cars at a stop light. Its ridiculous small... We don't have a mall or anything.

I'm originally from Northern California, born and raised in Sacramento. So, I'm use to having everything near me and having choices of malls and stores and everything. So, this is soo weird to me. I'm still getting use to it.

The DMV for residency was soo easy for us. If you had a license in California before they will just pull it right up. My husband had to do that one cause he got a Mississippi drivers license when we lived there, cause his California one expired and he thought we would live in Mississippi forever lol. I still had my California one, the whole time I lived in VA and MS. He just went in and filled out the request form for a new license and they took his MS one and gave him a California one (well, if you've lived there before, you know they don't just give you one, they just give you a temporary paper one, and you have to wait for it in the mail lol) They didn't ask for proof of address or anything. It was weird. Cause in MS they wanted all kinds of proof to get a licesne there. Cali just wanted his money haha.

No, make up today. Today is a sad day. My husbands family dog past away Smiley Sad She was a 13 year old German Shorthair, named Jewel. I loved her. Such a good dog, she was a really protective dog. The first time, I went to his parents house to meet them and to pick something up for him (he was stationed in VA, so I went to his parents house to meet them by myself, since we both lived in CA. I know... brave right?) His mom had told me on the phone that to be careful, cause sometimes their dog doesn't like new people coming in the house so she might be mean. Well, I came in the house and sat down and she ran right over me and put her head in my lap and was wagging her tail. Just  was so sweet and lovey to me. His parents said that spoke a lot about my personality, if she liked me. I think it helped them like me too. Every time we went to his parents house, I would get down on the floor with her (she had a lot of joint problems in her old age, so she always laid on the floor on her little bed) and I would give her little doggy massages. She loved them. I would massage her hips and her shoulder blades where it hurt her the most and she would just be in doggy heaven lol. Such a good dog. I'm going to miss her Smiley Sad

I started this thread but I can barely keep up with it!

@steph - No worries, and thanks for your warning re: old products.  I was looking at my stash and realized I really should toss out some of the mascaras.  I opened them to test them out and hardly ever used some of them again, always thinking "tomorrow... some day!"

@sarithor - So sorry about Jewel!  Aww.  Smiley Sad  And it seems frivolous to say now but I love your nails?  Smiley Happy

Today I used:

-Korres Jasmine Lip Butter

- Laura Mercier Blush in Wild Bouquet

- the dark shade on the lower left corner of the Cargo shadow quad on my crease

- MAC shadow in Nehru on the outer corners of the eyes

- Tocca Stella perfume (not pictured)

img 030.jpg

@officegal, Thank you, it was her time to go..13 years is a really really old age for dogs, especially dogs used for hunting as she was. She had a good, long, happy life. 

I failed the Challenge today.  Laura Mercier sent me an email about a special Valentine's Gift Set and I caved.  It came with a full-size lip stain (in Shy Pink which I love), a full-size blush, a full-size eyeshadow, full-size lip brush, and two other travel brushes.  It was a good deal at $65 since the full-size stuff is worth $90.  Plus free shipping and 3 samples!  I just couldn't resist.

My husband is grumpy about it.  He said that since I bought my own V-day gift I don't need the standard chocolates and roses.  Boo!

kalex wrote:

I failed the Challenge today.  Laura Mercier sent me an email about a special Valentine's Gift Set and I caved.  It came with a full-size lip stain (in Shy Pink which I love), a full-size blush, a full-size eyeshadow, full-size lip brush, and two other travel brushes.  It was a good deal at $65 since the full-size stuff is worth $90.  Plus free shipping and 3 samples!  I just couldn't resist.

My husband is grumpy about it.  He said that since I bought my own V-day gift I don't need the standard chocolates and roses.  Boo!

What?! Tell him that was your V day gift from YOU! You still need one from HIM! Smiley Wink

kalex wrote:

LMAO!! thats what my hubby would say!! I want the Laura Mercier set too!! Hmm... I'm going to have to work extra hard cleaning the house, and cooking dinner and being the best wife ever this week! haha.

"I'm going to have to work extra hard cleaning the house, and cooking dinner and being the best wife ever this week! haha."

Me too!  I was paging through my recipes looking for some more yummy desserts to whip up.  Yesterday I made Chocolate Lava cakes. That old saying, "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" definitely applies to my husband.  I'm sure he'll still get me a present but I better not buy that Chanel powder I've been eyeing just to be safe!

kalex wrote:

"I'm going to have to work extra hard cleaning the house, and cooking dinner and being the best wife ever this week! haha."

Me too!  I was paging through my recipes looking for some more yummy desserts to whip up.  Yesterday I made Chocolate Lava cakes. That old saying, "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" definitely applies to my husband.  I'm sure he'll still get me a present but I better not buy that Chanel powder I've been eyeing just to be safe!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

I used to go the heart via stomach route. BUt now my DH has become an exercise junkie to lose all the weight he put on because of it and he is no longer so easily swayed!!

@ mermadelove - Well there's certainly other other ways to man's heart as well, but this isn't the appropriate place to discuss them! Smiley Wink My DH could certainly stand to lose 20lbs though!  I bought him the Wii NFL Training Camp for his birthday last month.  I figured he loves video games and hates exercising so maybe the combination of the two he could tolerate!

120 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos69
  • dontuseoften.jpg
  • medontuse.jpg
  • toofacedtogo.jpg
  • toofacedtogo2.jpg
  • maybelline.jpg
  • maybellinelook.jpg
  • IMG_1538.JPG
  • mufelipstick.jpg
  • mufelipsticklook.jpg