Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

I realize a lot of us are in the same boat, being addicted to makeup and beauty products and desperately trying to control stashes that are bursting from train cases, drawers and cabinets.  We have the Traveling Sephora Box ("TSB") to swap products with one another and temper some of the addiction cravings to go out and get new stuff.  I have another idea to assist with resisting the temptation to continually buy new things.

I propose that for an entire week, we shop our own stash and dig up things that we haven't touched for a long time.  Whatever you've accrued the most of, each day put on something different, whether it's eye shadow or blush or lipstick.  Then report back here and post what you wore each day!

I'm going to wear a different eye shadow, lippie, and blush each day.  I have so many of all three categories but always find myself reaching for the same colours. It's time to branch out!

For example, tomorrow I'm going to wear:

- Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in "Pale Pink" for blush

- Dior Lip Glow

- Stila Eye Shadow in "Chill"

I haven't touched all three of those in weeks and months.

Re: CHALLENGE: Shop your own stash!

Hi, I'm finally back!  Hadn't been logged on since Thursday night and this is Sunday.  I had an MRI on my shoulder early Friday AM and have been in too much pain to type cause of the way they had me positioned in that MRI machine for the 45+ minutes I was in there. Smiley Sad  I'm so behind of all the threads!  Obviously I haven't shopped my stash cause I haven't felt like it, but I will again soon--right now just reading posts and trying to get caught up on what's going on. Smiley Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@officegal:  By the way, I do feel guilty about hording makeup in my little (well, kind of large) plastic treasure box.  Just not guilty enough to stop being a pack rat with it--ha, ha.  I really am going to try to go through it for expired products, etc. Smiley Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@mermadelove:  No problem about the mixup in mine and officegal's names.  I don't mind being confused with the extremely smart and savvy officegal anytime. Smiley Wink  By the way, I can see why you'd want to sterilize the nail tools...I'd be doing the same thing, nurse or not (ha, ha)! Smiley Happy

No worries on the name confusion! I don't mind being mistaken for lovely tenngal. 😉

I got rid of some crusty old base coat and top coat that weren't really working for me. Seriously, Sally Hansen makes great stuff at such a bargain. And I'm considering stopping buying nail polish... but who am I kidding?? I might go to NYC later and just hit up RBL in person! 😄

And that's a very good point re: clearing out the old to make room for the new!!! 😄 😄 😄

That officegal/tenngal confusion thing was my fault. Sorry gals!

Lately I've been shopping my own stash for mani/pedi stuff. I Have always played around with that, even moreso than makeup. Now that I am a RBL junkie, I am going through my stash, getting rid of disposable tools, stocking up on metal ones that I can sterilize ( that's the nurse in me talking there), and getting rid of ancient polishes and looking for high quality dupes for them!

@tenngal: one good thing about clearing out your stash of expired things is that you can see what you can legitimately 'replace' withour guilt! all cosmetics wholesale is a good resource for very inexpensive replacements!

I think you beat everyone I know when it comes to truly loving your beauty products! 🙂 I waver between wanting to hoard everything and suddenly wanting to clear things out. It's never really in between. I was just talking about indulgences with someone and while she was totally free and unashamed about it, I realized I always carry a guilty conscience for stockpiling things. I wish I could just embrace it!

@officegal:  You're way of thinking makes much more sense than mine!  I don't get rid of all of my old clothes though, I actually keep a set of smaller clothes and bigger clothes so I have room to gain and lose weight--ha, ha!!! Smiley Wink  I really do need to go through my stash because of expiration dates and depart with some of it {heavy sigh, teary eyes--ha, ha}. Smiley Happy

With makeup I always feel the pressure to use them up or give them away because of the expiry thing. With clothes, I feel like they either come back into fashion or I will gain/lose weight and sometimes regret getting rid of certain items prematurely. I'd often put them in bags and end up going into dig out some stuff again. I feel better about giving away products and get SO happy when the recipient turns out to really love them! 😄

@officegal:  That's nice of you to give your unused items to a charity.  I always try to donate my clothes instead of trashing them because I know someone out there needs them.  Notice I didn't say "makeup"--ha, ha--I haven't ever gotten around to going through my entire stash and getting anything together to give away.  It's like my precious little plastic treasure chest of goodies that I don't want to part with any of the makeup inside--ha, ha!  I know that sounds pathetic, but I was actually thinking that I should count and see how many full-sized eyeshadows, lipsticks, etc., I have and then count deluxe samples and samples, too, and see what the number comes up to.  If I actually saw the number of stuff I have that I'm not using then it might shame me enough to help me start getting rid of it!  Maybe that's the extra little push I need--ha, ha!  Smiley Tongue  By the way, I did notice that people were getting us confused in the other thread, but I can see how cause of the "gal" part of our names--it'll work itself out...:)  I painted my nails with the coral nail polish and posted a picture in the other thread.  I bought two colors to do a moonicure, but one coral was too light and sheer and disappeared into the other coral so I ended up salvaging my paint job by doing white and coral together.  You know, even coral nail polish doesn't look good on me.  I love coral, but it doesn't love me at all!Smiley Happy

@tenngal - Thanks! How do you like the coral nail polishes you bought this week? I was going to reply in the thread you posted at but that one was so busy I lost track of what people were saying! lol Also I think some people are confusing us due to the "gal" part of our names. 😄

I'm going to dig deep into my stash and do a little spring cleaning soon and get rid of a bunch of things I'm not using. They're either going to friends, family, donation to women's shelters or the trash (for the really old stuff).

Had to get up at 4 am PDT this morning to head up to the Seattle area with my sister, so needless to say I'm glad I don't work right now.  Yawning and on the verge of taking a nap!  But I did do the makeup.  Dug out my Clinique superbalanced liquid foundation to apply today, since I hadn't worn it in a while.  Used the powder version of Orgasm for blush, and added Laguna bronzer for some added color.  Then I pulled out a Clinique eyeshadow quad I received as part of a bonus from their website that I had only used once and used Frosted Blossum, Night Plum, and Brandied Plum (I think) on my eyes, followed with starry plum eyeliner instead of one of the UD pencils for once.  On my lips I swiped on lipstick in Ice Bloom and a little lip gloss over it in Stellar Plum. 

...and I just realized that the majority of my makeup was Clinique today, although it's still mostly a pretty good mix of different things from different lines.  The rest was Laura Mercier staples that I normally use and the UD eye potion primer in Eden.

I really need to shop my own stash for skincare items.  I am going to try to not buy any skincare items until I absolutely run out of what I have... which probably means I won't be buying any skincare until next year!  Especially since I seem to always get skincare items for the 100 pt perks and deluxe sample promos as well! 

I shopped my stash and found a deluxe sample of Cargo Activating Face Primer that I'd never tried.  I tried a dab on the back of my hand and thought, "wow, that has a nice texture..."  So I put it on (even though I should have known better, because I'm so oily that without an oil-controlling primer I look like I sprayed my face with cooking spray after about an hour), so needless to say in about an hour it was Crisco city!  If I get in on the next TSB that primer is definitely going in the box!

By the way, nice stash of corals, officegal. 🙂

I found a few corals in my stash for the weekly challenge. I'm happy with what I have for the most part, but it looks like I have no coral lippie whatsoever! *pout*

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

Tags:

Awesome! Looking forward to it!! 🙂

@mermadelove  It wasn't as crazy as I originally thought.  It toned down a bit after an hour of wear.  I'll repeat it over the weekend and see if I can get a decent pic.

@katiemae: It's great therapy, isn't it? And so much cheaper!! Ok, well.......maybe not cheaper considering how much we spend on makeup, but DEFINITELY more fun!! 😄

OK, I haven't read this board for awhile and between Sephora bleeping sn@tch and the pic of the intervention guy, I have tears streaming down my face! I love you guys!  You are just hysterical! The best bunch of women. OMG, I can't stop laughing!!! Glad I don't have my eye makeup on yet!

lashreece wrote:

OK I got brave today and wore the  from Sephora's Color Diary - Day at the Museum on my lids, the red on my crease, and the white on my brow bone.  Yes a little like the American flag.  WAY more wild than I would normally go.  We'll see if I get any weird looks.

um, hello!!! We want to see pics of THAT look! 😄

OK I got brave today and wore the  from Sephora's Color Diary - Day at the Museum on my lids, the red on my crease, and the white on my brow bone.  Yes a little like the American flag.  WAY more wild than I would normally go.  We'll see if I get any weird looks.

@lashreece: Those are my most recent acquisitions! I never thought to try them until I read that they're workable on any skin tone with the right technique. I love Exhibit A in particular! 😄

I shopped my stash today for the blue eye look. I have been using MAC Aquadesiac for most of the week, because I have had to meet clients/boss and can't get too carried away with wild blue shadow (Aquadesiac is a turquoisey-blue), but today I used MAC Jewelhue (a BRIGHT!!) blue with a blue sparkle liner called Reflecto on my lower eyeline. I think the Reflecto was a bad choice, it is shedding sparkles all under my eye, even with primer on. Hmm, good thing I don't have to go out today!

Think tomorrow I will try a shadow as liner look, maybe something from my old Sephora blockbuster palette.

@katie1724  I love NARS blushes too.  It's funny, I have very fair skin and the NARS blushes always look really scary and clownish in the compact but amazing on.  I've almost learned - the scarier the better!!!  e.g. Cactus Flower and Exhibit A

Tags:
Conversation Stats
Photos69
  • dontuseoften.jpg
  • medontuse.jpg
  • toofacedtogo.jpg
  • toofacedtogo2.jpg
  • maybelline.jpg
  • maybellinelook.jpg
  • IMG_1538.JPG
  • mufelipstick.jpg
  • mufelipsticklook.jpg