Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Who else is up for a liquid dinner tonight? I hear Jose C...

Ewwww, make it Don Julio and I'm in;) @niki172

@niki172 Already on it!

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

People who "review" products they haven't tried.  This got under my skin today.  I was lucky enough to swatch the ABH palette before it was released and thought it is lovely.  I was going to buy it...but have so much new makeup I lagged...it sold out...then the whole outcry and hate started so I decided no.  Well, this morning during my workout I watched some of those videos.  Are these people kidding!?  They open a palette for the first time and "review it"?  Not everyone.  And, oddly, the reviews by people who actually tried the palette a few times before reviewing it like it a lot more (than those who just turned on a camera and stuck their brushes into fresh snow).

People put time and money into creating something of which they are probably proud.  Sure, I get that people can do things their own way and like what they like (or dislike) but for this whole thing to blow up...crazy.

Maybe the palette isn't for everyone but I think people who publicly go on a rampage about a new product and know that they have influence should at least give it a fair shot.

I now might get the palette...though I so don't need it...

@meganlisa I wished they would title them as first impressions! A proper review takes time to collect thoughts and test out different methods, and clearly most people who didn't give the palette a fair shot wanted to get their videos out quick.

Stephanie Nicole gives fabulous reviews and she provides numerous tips and tricks without being biased 🙂 If I want a quality product, I will rely on her more than anyone else on Youtube.

I don't think most people know that this palette requires a light hand, and you can't go overboard. Social media has conditioned everyone that you have to really dig into product to get results, which is not true. The pigment is outstanding, and the quality seems to be there. Unfortunately, the colours aren't my cup of tea which is why I'm not that interested.

Exactly!!!!  I appreciate that I had fair warning that the shadows are soft.  Going in knowing this I knew to be gentle with the palette.  The pigment is extraordinary!  It's straight up colour!   Not for the heavy handed.  Mine blends out just fine too so maybe I was just lucky.  I'm certainly never going to return mine because it's amazing and I have nothing like it in my collection.  

I was a bit horrified watching people rubbing their shadows until they hit pan.  I think it was for views. At least that's what I choose to believe.   @meganlisa

@meganlisa I was actually turned off from all the reviews, but once I watched a number of more detailed (and delayed) reviews about the best way to use this eyeshadow palette, I discovered that the method I already use to apply eyeshadow is the best method! I like to pat eyeshadows rather than swirl to pick up pigment, with the exception of the base shade which I do swirl my brush in. The swirling motion seems to be what causes the biggest issues with kick up and powdery pans.

I still don't think I'm skilled enough to make these colours work, but I think it's still a beautiful palette that I would purchase at this point if I could see myself using it more.

More colours are ALWAYS good @meganlisa especially if you don't have many mattes already! 😉

@k617 I'm so tempted.  I might bite with the Ulta 20% off.  But I did buy some Chanel this morning (the blues from the fall collection).  So do I need more color?  Probably, right?  And I seem to never buy mattes, though I like them.

@meganlisa  I totally agree with you.  I was not planning to buy that anyway, just because i have a full drawer of eye shadow palettes and i don't really need another one.   I wasn't paying any attention when it launched but when it started blowing up in social media, how could you not know, lol.  

After seeing half bad and half good reviews, now I might as well just get it.  I always love ABH eye shadow even they have fall out, they are pigmented and buttery.  

@SalBing You tagged me but I didn't get notified...I'm just saying that so if anyone else tags me and I don't respond...I likely won't know...

I think I might get the palette now.  I really liked it when I swatched it, and the colors aren't the same old thing.  My only conflict is that I've spent half my morning on Chanel's site with their fall CA inspired collection.  So ABH or Chanel?  Hm...the challenges us makeup junkies must confront!

OMG receiving a package with damaged items for me!

OMG receiving a package with damaged items for me!

Not beauty related. I hate paying for shipping, but I just spent $10 on shipping for $12.95 solar eclipse glasses lol. It's so against my nature. Everywhere is sold out (or very expensive), and I want to look at the sun this year! It's a five pack, so at least me and the husband will have a back up =). They also already shipped, and I only ordered them an hour ago, so at least there's that.

Just in case anyone needs to find more eclipse glasses! (...

Just in case anyone needs to find more eclipse glasses! (don't know if you still need it, or if this would work for ca) https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353642-REG/lunt_solar_systems_lseglasses5_solar_eclipse_view...

@candyrivera Ugh I so agree!  How is it that I don't think twice about dropping $50 on makeup, but when it comes to paying for shipping, 9 times out of 10 I will skip the entire purchase?  I get so frustrated when companies don't offer free shipping once you hit a certain dollar amount.

YES! I'm looking for solar eclipse glasses too! We'll only get an 80% partial eclipse here, but DH and I are taking the day off to watch it.

I seriously considered driving down to Idaho to see the full one, but alas it's 12 hours, and with it being on a Monday it's just not going to work out.

P.S. thank you for posting this, as I just placed my order for them on Amazon (free shipping!)

@k617  ohhh good to know! I will check that out! THX!

@veronika23 One of my local Best Buys also has 71 pairs in stock (according to their online inventory checker) so might be worth a shot too! I tried to reserve 2, if I can get those I will probably cancel my Amazon order.

Thanks @k617 🙂

@veronika23 www.amazon.ca/Celestron-EclipSmart-Observing-Certified-Guidebook/dp/B01N17N0MO/ref=sr_1_cc_5?s=aps&i...

It was listed as In Stock on Aug 14 when I purchased but now it's pushed back. Estimated delivery is Thurs Aug 17 - Aug 23. I seriously hope they make it in time for the 21st. Worst case scenario, I'll just have to look at it indirectly...

@k617  amazon.ca? Got a link? Thanks 🙂

12,421 Replies
testing