Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Oh yes @raphaela12 !!!! I hate not knowing how much product is left! It happens to me with so many products, both skincare and makeup. It is a “surprise surprise!!! It’s over!” 😅

Ohhh I dislike their caps @raphaela12! I use the serum and the The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL too. I dropped it once in the shower and the little nub on the top that lines up with the hole on the bottom to keep it shut broke and plugged the hole. I had to squeeze so hard to get any decent amount out. 😞

@raphaela12  Piggybacking on "how much is left, dang it": products you can't pry open to use up that last bit you know must still be in there. Looking at you, Avene RetrinAL 0.1 Intensive Cream. I like airless vacuum-pump bottles and jars, but there's always product left after the pump goes "empty"; I know this from using my own refillable airless jars and bottles. I hate wasting product. 

I actually kinda like that The Inkey List doesn't use droppers. I always worry I'll break a glass dropper. I've worried so much about it, I've transferred some The Ordinary products to airless vacuum-pump bottles a few times. 😄 But I know many folks like droppers, so I understand your peeve. 🙂 

Oh, it's not a season, because it happens at least 3-4 times a year, until I smash an Ordinary dropper.  Usually the item is 1/2 way done, so if I have a back up, I just switch the caps.  (Have I also smashed the back up? Of course.)

@WinglessOne That leads me to the dropper in the Blume products, if you can even call them droppers. Mine was like a straw, I think mine came broken cause on the product page it shows a pump but I open it and it looks like this.

raphaela12_1-1682168236150.png

AND I FIXED IT YAY! 😅

Reminder to self to not twist it open. Very easy to open it the wrong way.

A recent one: Buying moisturizer with spf that's an expensive touted brand and coming across information that reveals ingredients in the product that unbalance your hormones causing redness, rashes and breakouts. So that's why it was so great and suddenly not... there goes $50.

Same here. Very curious to know which product too @Margalee 

@Margalee  Which product is it? 

All colors of Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Soft Pinch Tinted Lip Oil are sold out on line but I saw that 4 colors were available for same day delivery. I received a cancellation notice for the colors that were being delivered from the store. I did not realize when I checked out that the color that was available on line was being purchased at the same time. I ended up ordering the same color affection twice. Guess someone will be receiving a gift.

@Loretta55  Aw no!  At least Affection is a wonderful shade name to give as a gift;). Or you can return/exchange the second one so long as it’s unopened. 

That is my plan @heartsmyface. I do like the name though.

My latest Sephora order arrived and, well... 

SephoraBrokenCandle-20230411 - 1.jpeg

SephoraBrokenCandle-20230411 - 2.jpeg

The candle is Boy Smells Thé Fantôme Candle which I'd planned to buy during the upcoming spring sale. I grabbed it early because it was (and still is) marked down 30% and I wasn't sure that discount would stick around for the sale event (so I could get an additional 20% off). This is the first time a Sephora-shipped candle has arrived broken. I'm super bummed because: 

• It's not available in stores, otherwise I'd have bought it in person. 
  • I think I liked the smell? Can't be sure because the Jo Malone fragrance interfered. 
  • I used a Rouge Reward on this order. 

Obviously I'll call customer service tomorrow and try to get a replacement candle shipped, hopefully better packaged next time. The only other things in this package were a Natasha Denona mini palette, a Dior lip product, and a Sephora eye mask. Not very smart to pack a glass-jarred candle in the same box as a few much smaller items with no additional padding to keep the candle from trying to start a mosh pit. I expect such subpar candle packing from Ulta, but not Sephora. 😠 

UPDATE: customer service has placed a new order with a replacement candle, hooray! I hope it arrives intact! 

Now I see what you were talking about in the Astounding April 2023 Hauls thread @WinglessOne yikes! What a break and thankfully you didn't cut your fingers 🙏

@CynthieLu  Yeah, my fingers lucked out thanks to the Boy Smells box. Earlier in this thread, I posted photos of a candle shattered even worse than this one; that was the time Ulta shipped me a literal box full of wax-slippery glass shards. 😬 I had to wear puncture-resistant gloves to retrieve the other items from that box and remove all the wax and shards from them. It's never fun to receive a damaged item, especially a glass (or porcelain, or ceramic) item, but at least this Boy Smells candle didn't turn into a full package danger zone. I mean sure, the fragrance vial was smashed inside the shipping box, but that small group of shards was easy to dispose of. 

That also explains why you said you'd expect it from Ulta, this story has layers!

@WinglessOne Glass is so dangerous and hard to clean, the pieces can just get everywhere. It is really lucky the box kept it all contained. Sometimes you do wonder who packed the boxes. I've had really good luck no breakages but sometimes when I open an order I'm surprised to see everything floating around inside with no insulation, other times they do such a great job. 👌

It just depends on the packer I suppose. 

@WinglessOne  Ehaaaat?? Nooooooo!!!! No actual sample AND the candle is broken?!!!  Wow. What bad luck.  Also whoa that candle looks like it’s been through it!!! I’m shocked the box isn’t damaged!  

@heartsmyface  I'm still surprised all the candle's glass shards were contained inside the Boy Smells box. 😄 Sephora Customer Service came through for me though: I got my replacement candle and it's intact! They even included a replacement Jo Malone sample, even though I never mentioned (to the service rep) my sample being broken. 👍 So I'm a very happy camper now.

That's great, @WinglessOne !  A replacement for your broken sample?  Impressive! 🙂

@Titian06  Right? I don't get upset about missing or wrong samples (unless they're specifically part of a promo—and even then I'm kinda "eh, whatever" if, say, the promo's for one of Ulta's big bags of samples and a couple foils are subbed or missing) because they're freebies Sephora doesn't have to offer me. Makes getting the samples I requested a nice surprise. Or in this case, a total surprise. 😄 

Oh no! @WinglessOne   🤞 your other candle arrives intact 

Thanks @Buootiful !

12,471 Replies
testing