Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

"You are supposed to use the same brand as the rest of your makeup line."

Um, what? In what universe would that ever be a rule (besides the MLM universe) for beauty? Mixing up products from different brands is the best way to create a look and routine that's perfectly suited to you. Plus, not every brand will have shades that work for every person. Every individual has different needs that can be fulfilled by different products from different brands' lines!

Though I don't think there's any way to get that through to people selling Mary Kay/Avon cosmetics because of their personal investment in the brands... Also, I share that sentiment of wishing I had more like-minded makeup people to browse Sephora with. Right now most of the time if I go in a Sephora or Ulta and I'm not by myself it's with my boyfriend, and to say he doesn't understand my hype is an understatement. He also might have a minor heart attack if he knew the kind of money I spent at both of these stores, lol.

OMG yes, or like the friend who literally gives you ZRRO...

OMG yes, or like the friend who literally gives you ZRRO advice, im like "oh which one do you think I should get between these two, this one does this but that one does that..?" and they're all "idk" to EVERYTHING! Like bish why did you even come??

@l8totheparty all from the same brand huh?  Yeah that sounds fun for a little makeup challenge but she sounds like she’s been fed some bad information by Mary Kay.

shopping with anyone who’s being negative is just no fun.  

That's a sucky situation. I used to have a friend like that (she moved away and I can't say I've missed her that much...). It was sad because for awhile she was my only friend interested in clothes and makeup, but every time we went shopping together she was hyper critical of everything and also had tons of weird "rules" that were extremely specific to her own needs/taste but she treated as universal (like the only necklines people should wear being crew or square neck). 

Luckily most of my current friends are much more enthusiastic participators. Even if what I'm shopping for isn't their thing they're still hype me up and the worst I'll get is a sigh and bored look if I'm taking a ridiculous amount of time. 

@l8totheparty  Ugh... I don’t mind when shopping companions are critical of some things (sometimes a critical eye can prevent bad purchases). But when they complain about EVERYthing, I wish they’d just stayed home. I’m sorry you went through that. 😞 

I’m a Nordstrom cardholder. They throw an annual invite-only holiday party at their stores: earn 10x points on all purchases, eat free hors d'oeuvres (one year they had mini glazed donut sandwiches and tator tots), and drink free booze. The invites are +1... actually, I think they’re +2 now, I should doublecheck. Anyway, one year I invited a friend who turned out to be super critical and negative about everything in the store. IN THE ENTIRE NORDSTROM. She was in a big store with free drinks and munchies and couldn’t manage to find one positive thing to say about any products we browsed. Everything was either too expensive, completely unnecessary, ugly, poorly made, etc. Needless to say, she’s off my invite list. 

Next time, invite me!  A Nordstroms is being built near my church so I'll keep that in mind.(I have to pass it every Sunday so why not stop in every Sunday, right?).

You are attending a free event with a friend, eating and drinking on the stores dime and you have nerve to complain? You might not like anything in the store but please keep your negativity to yourself.

That's why I like when my sisters come with me to the Sephora shopping events. They will comment on my color selections and products but never in a way that makes me feel bad. We have a good time eating the snacks and just being together. 

I know they think that I'm slightly crazy to spend that much on makeup but they keep those thoughts to themselves!

RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

I now live 130 miles from the closest Nordstrom and desperately miss it. Shopping there is magical. I can’t imagine anyone complaining about them.

@WinglessOne Wow she must never shop at Nordstrom’s. 

@SportyGirly125  Right? I’d never gone shopping with her before, aside from a small store she loves. I’m not likely to shop with her again anywhere, ever. 

@WinglessOne Good thing it wasn’t Neimans, Saks or Bloomingdales.  She would have had a heart attack. 

@l8totheparty Ahhhh! That reminds me of a pet peeve in the same vein: when people are uneducated about different skin types and how needs are different. My own face can’t seem to decide on one “type”!  I would love to think a pore perfecting primer or mattifying powder is crazy but nah, my huge pores and  oily t-zone make that impossible 😂 I also have never heard that you should use one line of makeup? Skincare (maybe) I could see an argument for that (but even then, I go by ingredients more than I go by brand), but makeup? Hmm

I completely understand @l8totheparty none of my friends or family care about beauty/skincare the way I do☹️

@faeriegirl me too.  

the struggle is real

the struggle is real

@faeriegirl I hear you!  

@l8totheparty Haha. Got to educate the friend about makeup and get her outside of her one brand box.

@SportyGirly125 yes, and it will he a lot of work for a friend dedicated to only 1 brand.

Lol 😂 I totally hear you @l8totheparty 

We should start a support group. Post 'Sephora friends wanted for shopping' signs up.  @blackkitty2014 

😆

@l8totheparty I volunteer as a shopping buddy lol just let me know when you want me to dial down on the enabling

Ha ha ha a Sephora Support Group idea is brilliant @l8totheparty 😂 

12,471 Replies
testing