Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@Ispend2much6  Ugh, this is one of the reasons I hate ad tracking algorithms. Once you see a type of ad, it follows you around the internet, thanks to the magic of cookies and device identifiers. If you use a desktop/laptop browser, clearing cookies can temporarily remove that. You can also go into browser settings and tweak a few things to block/stop ad tracking. If you're logged into a Google account, you can tell Google to stop tracking you. Same with Facebook, though I don't trust FB to stop tracking anything. 😄 Mobile OSes have optional settings to stop ad tracking, most famously Apple's because of FB's big ol' tantrum about it. 

Depending on which browser you use, there are also ad blocking extensions available that'll hide nearly all ads when you visit sites. 

@WinglessOne  Thank you so, so much.  I don't save my cookies, have all deleted when I close my browser, plus I have Internet Privacy Eraser program that I run every time I start the computer, and I use an incognito browser. And I have Adblock Plus. Other than that, I'm fair game! ha

I agree about Facebook; they've been caught lying too many times. 

My ultimate pet peeve that stretches across both makeup and skincare is brands not giving enough explanation on how/why to use something or giving literally ZERO education on active ingredients (looking at you The Ordinary...🙄)

Like, please don't just sell me some cream color in a pan without telling me how or where I'm supposed to use it or just describe something as a "toner" without much else. 

My best example of this is actually the The Ordinary Mini Squalane Cleanser 1.7 oz/ 50 mL When I first started using it, I thought it was enough of a cleanser on its own, and they actually market it this way on their own site! It was only later, after this was breaking me out, that I read elsewhere that oil based cleansers like this one are best for double cleansing/makeup removal and can really clog pores if not super thoroughly rinsed off afterwards. Now that I'm using it properly, I really love this and it's my go-to for makeup removal but I would never use it all by itself.

@sharelleh that's such a good point! How can we use products correctly without all the information. I feel the same about retinol and any chemical exfoliating. It should let everyone know on every package, if you use these types of products you should be using sunscreen daily.  

Sorry to hear @sharelleh , I do hope you try it the ordinaryaordinary   They have great guides on their site, also I think they have a series on YT.

I agree with the person who mentioned shade matching in store. I always get shade matched incorrectly whenever and wherever the store and it’s happened both at Sephora & Ulta. Although I guess it could be that my skin tone is just hard to match. I’m South-East Asian, light skinned borderline pale, with warm golden & olive undertones (which is impossible to find because every brand seems to think that you can only have golden &/or olive undertones if you’re tan or darker which is not true!) however my face sees more sun than the rest of my body so when I get shade matched I get “medium” shade that’s supposedly “yellow/warm undertone” but really is dark, orangey or pink while my chest is stark white. I think it’d be better to have my foundation match my chest instead of my neck that way you’re all one color instead of 2-3 different shades if that makes any sense. They always try to stick me with medium color but that makes my face darker than my chest by 2-3 shades no lie which looks very off-putting. I’ve given up on in store employees trying to shade match me regardless of the store or brand so I just do it myself cuz I feel like I know my skin tone best. I’ve tried all the tricks to find out my undertone ie trying silver/gold jewelry and see which looks best on me and seeing what color my veins are in my wrist. I can wear gold or silver jewelry and the colors of my veins are green & blue. So with this you’d think I’m “neutral toned” but when I’ve swatched foundations on my wrist that are supposedly neutral toned, they’re always pink/orangey so I don’t even bother to try neutral toned foundations. On the other hand when I’ve been able to find actual yellow undertoned foundations (which to me is still rare and hard to find), they’re either not yellow enough or too yellow to the point I look like I have jaundice. Still haven’t been able to find my perfect shade match to this day and unfortunately I don’t think I ever will. 

@misslenax -- Feelin' this! 

I am very pale, neutral-to-cool with a tiny drop of cool olive in my undertones (yeah, there's warm and cool olive, who knew?), and foundation has always been so tough to match. I always want to take home 3 or more shade matches to try before I buy, but honest, usually end up having to mix them anyways.

@heavyhedon   I think that's my issue also.  It seems like Asian brands and European branches of brands have more foundation shades that match me better.  I'm totally cool toned though, but there must be pink in the foundation.

@heavyhedon I have done that before buying two or more different shades of foundations and mixing them just so I can get as close to my skintone as possible but tbh I don’t have the budget to be spending all that money every couple of months. I see brands trying to start being more “shade/color inclusive” in the past recent years which is great don’t get me wrong, but maybe they should also get more into undertone inclusive as well? Idk food for thought. 

So true, @heavyhedon , @misslenax. Compounding the problem is garish overhead lighting in stores. Is it flourescent, that makes any blue or green veins & tones sorta stark? Or is it newish LED lights? Both are so dreary!  Bring on Spring's sunny days!

I am sure this has probably been mentioned but I hate when lipstick gets on teeth and when mascara smudges on my eyelids!!!

@Mellmars1185 I get mascara or brow mascara on my face almost every time. You think I'd be able to avoid that after all these years of doing my makeup

I hate it when people don't remove the hair from their hairbrush. It's the worst. I do mine almost every day.

@makeitup305 If I didn’t clean my hairbrush every time I use it, I wouldn’t be able to use it again, I wouldn’t see the bristles!! 😅

quspork_0-1645491991050.gif

I feel attacked. 😆😆😆 But thanks for the reminder that I do actually need to do this, @makeitup305 LOL!

@quspork @Also feel attacked lol - I never remember to do this until it’s well into gross 

@quspork @Kim888 consider this your weekly reminder to clean your hair brush.

@veronika23 hi 😊 maybe someone already mentioned this thing that constantly happens to me but, you know when you have a nice, fancy, new lip gloss and you can't wait to try it? well, the moment when some air bubbles enter inside the tube, and after you have just use it, you try to stick the wand back inside the tube, and because of the air bubbles, the product starts to leak out and you waste so much of it, plus you dirty the floor, your hands 🤬 Anyone else??

Ilia foundation is my first luxe purchase, and it's so oily it can only be removed from surfaces/blender with Dawn & scrubbing. I used half a travel size bottle of Lancôme bifacial makeup remover on my skin before it didn't show up on the cotton remover pad.

Yeah, I got a sample envelope of the Ilia skin tint and when I tried to swatch it on my hand nothing but oil poured out. And it actually had the nerve to say ‘oil free’ on the packaging. I have very oily skin this would have been a greasy mess on me. I threw it away without ever trying it on my face.

@CirrusCitrus - Lancôme Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover is an eye makeup remover, not a facial makeup remover.  I've been using it for years to remove my eye makeup and eyebrow makeup, and it works great.  When I use it to remove makeup swatches or other makeup, it just doesn't work.  I have to use Glow Recipe Papaya Sorbet Smoothing Enzyme Cleansing Balm & Makeup Remover 3.4 oz/ 100 mL first, then my regular cleanser.  There are no shortcuts when removing makeup.

12,452 Replies
testing