Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: I hate that I bought a mini flat iron a couple months ago...

What really drives me nuts is when I get the "Time to Restock" email on an item I returned because I didn't like it for one reason or another.

RE: I hate that I bought a mini flat iron a couple months ago...

Yes! Like, I don’t need to restock on the massive bottle of perfume I bought only two weeks ago! Remind me in a year.

Re: I hate that I bought a mini flat iron a couple months ago...

Haha that is a definite fail right there @fieldsofclover!

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

This isn't necessarily a pet peeve, but more of a funny little annoyance. I'm getting kind of sick of the multiple holiday promotional gift guide emails I receive. I just checked my email and it looks like my DOCTOR'S OFFICE even joined in the madness, lol! 

If anyone is curious, here's what the recommend:

For the health and fitness nut…

• Juicer or juice cleanse
It’s not for everyone, but juicing can be a fun way to experiment
with getting different nutrients from fresh fruits and vegetables.

• Bluetooth headphones
If you love somebody, set them free (from cords). Without the
restrictions of headphone wires, this gift might just help them take
their workouts to the next level.

• Athletic socks
We know. Socks? Isn’t that on par with underwear as one of the
worst gifts ever? Actually, no. Working out – especially running –
requires some extra support in the footwear area. A nice pair of
athletic socks can go a long way in someone’s fitness journey!

Gift icon For the person who says "new year, new me"...

• Exercise class passes
Gift them a month’s worth of classes at their favorite yoga studio
or a multi-class subscription so they can try out new classes they
didn’t know they loved!

• Journal
Help them reach their new goals with somewhere nice to track
their progress. Fresh pages for a fresh start!

• Vegetable Spiralizer
If their New Year’s resolutions involve getting healthy and eating
right, a spiralizer could be their new best friend. Zucchini noodles,
anyone?

Gift icon For the person who has everything

• Something customized
This works especially well for travel accessories – like a monogrammed carry-on bag or shaving bag that won’t get easily lost in the shuffle.

• Garden starter kit
By gifting a veggie garden, you’ll be giving them free (healthy)
food for cooking, a new hobby and a sense of pride in growing
their own food.

• Tickets to something
This one’s foolproof because even if they already have everything,
you can be sure they haven’t seen an upcoming show, concert or
movie.

Oh, well. I just thought it was funny in a WTF/head-scratching way. Their marketing team did make a few good suggestions, though! 

ETA: Somehow missed the juice cleanse thing. That totally isn't good. Ugh, they should have just stuck to their regular appointment reminders and left the gift-giving suggestions to retail companies/brands. 

the commercials selling "23 and me" a dna kit for christm...

the commercials selling "23 and me" a dna kit for christmas KILL ME LOL. everytime i see and hear ab it for a gift idea im like ok christmas has FOR REAL become too commercial..."gee thanks mom! now i can find out if my dad is really my dad" like wtf LOLOL

Re: the commercials selling "23 and me" a dna kit for christm...

Lol everyone I see that commercial I’m like I wanna do that - but agree it’s a weird gift! I know it’s not a weird gift but speaking of annoying commercials I can’t stand that merci chocolate one with the thank you song - drives me nuts 

Ummmm NO to the whole thing! And buying someone a gym membership (unless they asked for it) is tacky. 

Good point @niki172, buying someone a gym membership or fitness classes could definitely be interpreted the wrong way! I would personally love to be gifted my gym membership (if someone would like to pay the $550 a year, I'll gladly spend what I would have spent on that gym membership on other fun things...like makeup :D) but for just a random family or friend...nope. 

@niki172 Yeah, I agree that buying someone exercise classes would be extremely tacky and possibly hurtful. Aside from that and the juice cleanse idea, the other suggestions aren't that bad. However, this isn't something a medical group should even send out in the first place. That's what made me go: WTF?. I guess they wanted to send something out other than their typical get-your-flu-shot email. 

@lmi82 yeah it sounds like one of the office admins went rogue on this "helpful" letter. Also I don't know if a lot of people would be jazzed to get a spiral vegetable slicer. I could be totally wrong, but it just reminds me of the year my ex's family gave me a Jack Lalance juicier for Christmas while everyone else got actual stuff you'd like to get (that thing was a piece of cr#p BTW and it supposedly cost over $150 or something like that). I'm just cautious about giving out kitchen appliances as that can also be taken wrong unless someone has asked for it/is really into cooking and you've found something neat.

Oh man, if my doctor's office sent me a holiday gift guide and the first thing I see is a juice cleanse, I'd probably find a new doctor!! There is absolutely no science to back up cleanses, in fact it really is just...eat nothing + drink lots of fluids = pee lots = lose weight. Not healthy.

I'd self-proclaim as a health nut in training (really interested about nutrition, but I will still eat cookies) and I would NEVER do a juice cleanse for "health"!

All the other suggestions listed in the email seem reasonable though! 😄

@k617 @GG84 Yikes! I only quickly looked over the list and didn't even notice the juice cleanse part. Yeah, I've actually read up about those and they are not healthy in any way. All you're losing is water weight, and after the cleanse you're actually likely to eat more because all you did is deprive your body. It's very confusing that they'd include it on their list. I've seen two of the doctors in that practice (they're both really great) and they do not seem like they'd ever encourage juice cleansing. 

I do have to say that that I've never received an email like this from them. It was pretty weird and out of the blue.  

Are you kidding me...Juice cleanse?! I used to suffer fro...

Are you kidding me...Juice cleanse?! I used to suffer from anorexia for many many years. I cant even begin to tell you how trigger that could be for some people coming from their doctor

Re: Are you kidding me...Juice cleanse?! I used to suffer fro...

Right?! @GG84 Juice cleanses are so bad for you. Sure, you could be drinking juices of healthy foods but why not just eat those vegetables/fruits/nuts? Most juice cleanses restricts your calorie intake to an unhealthy amount and I just wouldn't want to be hangry for so long. And you're right, coming from a doctor's office, uninformed individuals would probably take that as real advice and do a few "cleanses" on their own!

When someone creates a thread asking for help/advice, but they actually just want to complain. Bonus points for if they edit and/or get rid of the original post you replied to, and then create a new thread about the same effing thing. Ugh. People can be baffling sometimes. 

Also, the... not passive-aggressive, just *passive* threa...

Also, the... not passive-aggressive, just *passive* threads. The one-sentence OP with a tepid opinion. I feel bad skipping posts like that bc I always imagine it's some 13yo girl who is figuring this all out, but, like... give me something to work with! lol

Related: when someone creates a thread asking for help and you take the time to respond thoughtfully, often with multiple choices and they never return to check the thread or thank people helping. Legit pet peeve!

I second this! 🙄🤷🏼‍♀️

@gonerogue@starsandbucks,           

I agree!  This Is A Thing!

when I have to travel with my makeup and my powders break and spill all over my makeup bag. makes me want to SCREEEAAAAMMM

RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

This sucks sooo much. My MUFE powdered foundation, broke earlier this week and I about cried.
12,456 Replies
testing