Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

UPDATE, unfortunately I have a scab on my scalp from where my blow dryer burnt my scalp. I need to use Acquaphor on the scab to help with healing.

@Loretta55 - I've been reading the trials and tribulations of the hair bonnet saga.  I am so sorry it lead to scalp damage! 😪  I hope your scalp heals quickly. 🤞  Best wishes!  (((HUG)))

Thank you very much @Titian06. At least I was able to get a root touch up today. I badly needed a haircut also because my hair grows so fast.

I am aging myself on this one but the hair bonnet is going back to what my mom and grandma used when I was little BBD (before Blow Dryers)  they did have hot spots ant it took longer to dry your hair not to mention the rollers…to me this is a giant step backwards… 

I remember sleeping with rollers in my hair at night @Baronsmom4 @while in junior high school. I was hoping to possibly watch TV while my hair was drying. 

Ooof @Loretta55 , rough experience and thanks for the warning.  I have gone back to bonnet dryers and it's a struggle.  I've got a Conair one (yes that one), but it's not strong enough, so I'm considering something else.  I've had the hardtop ones, but I hate those because they are so clunky and you have to posture it against something.

Anyone, glad to see your scalp is on the mend.   I've shied away from the attachments because I thought the opposite would happen (doesn't get hot enough), so eeeep.   If I try out a new dryer and it isn't detrimental, I'll let you know.

Thank you very much @danielledanielle. Hopefully a company can figure out some better technologies because in theory it is a great idea.

Oh, no! ☹️ Thank you for warning us, @Loretta55!

It was scary when it was happening @curlychiquita.

Ouch!! @Loretta55  How is your scalp doing today.  I have not heard about things product.  It reminds me of the old bonnet hair dryers my mom used on me .  It could get pretty hot inside that cap!! Do you think it’s worth the money and effort and what happened in your poor scalp??

My scalp is much better today @Cissy63 . I remember the old style bonnet. I had the same crazy thought but at least it was only $8.00 so I didn’t waste too much money. I would advise anyone interested in this product to just stay far away from it.

@Loretta55  I am glad your scalp is doing better 😀.  

Thank you very much @Cissy63.

@Loretta55 yes. I remember the old Bonnet dryers!  I got one from my grandmother!

I remember the time that I took off the bonnet piece and blow dryer my hair with the hose @greeneyedgirl107 . I really liked the results but I did not have the money for a blow dryer. How times have changed.

@Loretta55 Haven't they?  My mom sd she had a bonnet dryer that had a brush attachment, similar to a hatchet dryer.  She sd she used it in lieu of a blow dryer b/c it worked so well.  Eventually she switched over, but you can't argue with results.  She also had a funny story of the disaster one of her college besties had trying to use a blow dryer in the early days.

My mom had an old 1970s hatchet dryer that she dug up in the early 90s.  That thing was constructed so much better than the ones today.

Wish that you had a photo of that dryer @greeneyedgirl107. The only dryer that I remember from back then was a smaller dryer that had removable comb and brush attachments. It took me at least an hour to dry my hair completely.

@Loretta55 I couldn't post a pic of the ones I wanted as they were WEMB (there are Etsy listings) but here's one that looks like what my mom described.  There seem to be other styles, too.

vintage-1970s-ronson-hairdryer-hood_360_de6e4e273858e97fdf1e30d20da0674b.jpg

This one looks similar to the hatchet dryer from the 70s that we started with in the 90s

9-18.jpg

I use this hatchet dryer now:

41+-Cl+7mUS._AC_.jpg

I've always been terrible at blow drying my hair b/c it's so thick and wavy.  The hatchet dryer is just so much easier for me.  I've been using them since middle school.  I really wish they came with better brush attachments for sleeker, gentler use.  I've looked into some of the newer brush attachments from, for example, T3, but the bristles are never solid enough to provide enough tension.  It's such a shame.  If they're going to make attachments, give us some variety in the bristles!  ETA: Annnnd, the the wattage is usually too low for drying on most of these attachment type tools.  I guess they're marketed as hot air brushes instead of blow dryers, but still -- I'd like to see 1875 watts.

I've gone through dozens of hatchet dryers, as did my mom and sister.  I now keep back ups on hand for when one dies.  My sister's friend was over once and saw my dryer.  She couldn't believe that all three of us used the same type.  I even got asked by TSA the last time I flew what my hatchet dryer was.

I had a Remington hatchet style dryer that I used for many years @greeneyedgirl107. I also have very thick wavy hair that I gave up straightening due to arthritis in my hands. I learned how to roughly blow dry my hair straight but I couldn’t get the hang of using a large round brush. I became good at using a flat iron but I fried my hair twice flat ironing it.

@Loretta55 Whenever I look at brushes, I'm never satisfied with the round or paddle brushes.

Ouch for frying your hair twice!  That's one problem I've never had - and I've had a bunch over the years.

@Loretta55 I'll post a pic when I have a little more time. I did a quick search and the one that looks most similar to what she described came up when I searched 1970s Ronson hair dryer. 

I'll also post a pic of the 70s hatchet dryer that looks close to the one she had...as I actually saw and used that one.

Dry times...ugh!

2 Replies
testing