Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Yeah, I got a sample envelope of the Ilia skin tint and when I tried to swatch it on my hand nothing but oil poured out. And it actually had the nerve to say ‘oil free’ on the packaging. I have very oily skin this would have been a greasy mess on me. I threw it away without ever trying it on my face.

@CirrusCitrus - Lancôme Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover is an eye makeup remover, not a facial makeup remover.  I've been using it for years to remove my eye makeup and eyebrow makeup, and it works great.  When I use it to remove makeup swatches or other makeup, it just doesn't work.  I have to use Glow Recipe Papaya Sorbet Smoothing Enzyme Cleansing Balm & Makeup Remover 3.4 oz/ 100 mL first, then my regular cleanser.  There are no shortcuts when removing makeup.

Good point Abt the "Eye" aspect, I'm using Cetaphil and it wasn't cutting through so I used any alternative.

Ooh, yeah, definitely get a good oil cleanser for removing makeup, @CirrusCitrus. I love the Lancome Bi-Facial for removing eye makeup, but I can imagine it would take quite a lot to remove face makeup. 

Good grief! Hope the fndtn's effect is worth the effort required to remove! @CirrusCitrus  

What's with the heaviness of ilia, Rms and Josie Maran 'serum' foundations? I had Sample foils of rms and ilia, and disliked the dewy aspect.

It isn't. I stopped using it. Had a sample of Laura Mercier finishing powder over it that did almost nothing, and it's too greasy for me to want to deal with. I wanted to like it, but there's a different no-oil vegan fndtn somewhere I'm looking forward to later.

Don't ya love it when a pricey item goes on Sale The Day after you've placed an order! arrrgh.

@MvLL Idk about Sephora, but when this happens at certain stores, you can just take your receipt into the store and ask for a price match. They will pay you the difference. Only catch: you have only a two week window to do this in, once the two weeks is up, you can't ask for a price match anymore. I hope this made sense. 

It's a pet peeve of mine that when there's a good sale that the two free samples are always crummy.  I have no interested in foundation sample cards and the like, but that's the majority of what's being offered right now with the NOWANDTHEN sale and the Presidents' Day sale.  I'm so turned off that I might wait until the April sale to place my order for K18 Biomimetic Hairscience Leave-In Molecular Repair Hair Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

Getting very obviously followed/harassed around the store is one of my big ones. I know some employees are super helpful and I find it great to be greeted and asked if I have any questions (and sometimes I do have questions!). Where I draw the line is when it's super clear that an employee is "snooping" on me (ie. moving positions and following me around wherever I go but standing an aisle away or at the end of the aisle I'm in, repeatedly asking me if I need help every 2-3 minutes). Look, I get theft happens but this is an actual overkill, this is why I stay away from one of my local Sephoras in particular as much as possible. They literally very blatantly follow customers all over the place and it's ridiculous as well as makes everyone I know including myself feel mega uncomfortable. If I can't browse an aisle without feeling a pair of eyes beaming at the back of my head as I test multiple swatches on my wrist of a lipstick, I'm simply not going to shop in stores at that location. A friend of mine and me came in together but kind of went our separate ways to browse and swatch and I literally witnessed them follow her around the store and exchange looks with one another. I think that's when I decided I wasn't going back there. I tend to never have issues at ULTA with this (which is why I tend to swatch/test out/spend more time there) other than when they have their targeted brand reps/ambassadors that arrive to push a specific product on you (ie. you're browsing foundation from tarte they approach you and try to say the the PUR foundation works even better and then hope that you let them try it on you/actually buy it). Although I've been seeing less and less of the brand reps as of the last few years, tbh. 

Right? If I have a question or need something, I will find someone to help me. Sephora stores aren’t that big. Not like they’re Walmart. I promise that I can find an employee pretty easily if I need something. Stop hovering please!

@QueenMarceline geez, how annoying 😤

@QueenMarceline I've found that this happens to me at Ulta.  It's gotten to the point where if I see one particular SA I won't shop around.  I don't feel like they're trying to prevent theft, I just think they're being over-zealous in trying to provide "good" customer service which is in reality "bad" customer service.  I hate being asked if I'm "doing OK" every couple of minutes.

All the Euphoria inspired looks. Listen kids, I’m in my late 30’s. Seeing that much brown lip liner and glued on rhinestones is giving me flashbacks to the war. I guess this is new to kids nowadays but it’s so old and dated to someone who was there the first time around. I’m pretty sure I’m in a minority here but it’s a big no thank you. Can’t wait for a new trend to eclipse this.

@barstr7  😆 just piping in that I rode that rhinestone trend hard in the late 90s along with two very unblended or flattering eyeliners in white and blue.  I kinda like that rhinestones are back and spirit gum isn’t required this time round cause they’re self adhesive.  

@barstr7 100% in agreement. It's such a stale look. What's the next 'old trend' to be re-released? Satin shirts & over-plucked Brows?  I'm 20 years older than you, thus vividly recall just how unflattering some 90's & Aughties Looks were; things from the 70's too. Related is the very tired repetition of bad 80's & 90's fashion-silhouttes. While not specifically beauty-focused, it is part of an overall aesthetic. I'd be quite pleased if tapered, high-waisted denim and evil-incarnate croptops permanently disappeared. Especially when paired with sneakers and no socks...in the Winter.

@MvLL I just saw a post saying skinny eyebrows are making a comeback. Heck no. Nope nope nope. Didn't do it then, won't do it now. I don't mind a 90s lip too much and even the gemstones are fine but I can't do a middle part. I feel like Hermione in the first movie, minus the bangs. 

@makeitup305  I saw that too but it’s not in the same way.  It’s more about darkening a thinner area of brow to create an arch with pencil and not as pluck happy as the 90s- for now.  
i know I have high arch stencils somewhere and may play with that but no way am I going any further than trimming my brows for a trend that may not last long 

@makeitup305 , @heartsmyface Totally agree. Many had the misfortune of their over-plucked Brows not growing back fully. I remember seeing McCalls mag. circa '73 with the cover model sporting wicked thin brows (& shiny yet shy coral lipstick)...not a great look. In the early 70's, it was trendy to add a dash of 30's makeup & fashion styles. 

As a Sephora employee, what really, really grinds my gears is not getting the PERFECT match. When it comes to matching customers, I am borderline obsessive. Every once in a while, I will get that one customer every once in a while that can't match up to any foundation product, no matter which undertone or shade I use. It makes the customer feel bad and it makes me look incompetent. 😕

@Prestonator   Yes!!!  I understand this completely!!  For myself and friends, if the makeup isn’t perfect I will sit and mix in different bases until it is.  
It’s pure magic (and rare) when a brand releases a perfect match for my skin!  

testing