Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

It doesn’t make you look incompetent. Trust me. I have really hard to match skin. It’s gotten easier in the last 3-4 years cause a lot of companies have expanded their shade ranges. But seriously, I’ve had sooo many makeup artists give up and either start trying to get me to look at eyebrows or something haha. When I started wearing foundation, I was really young and my poor mom was lost. Prescriptives still had counters at macys back then and they custom mixed foundation for me haha.

When one of your favorite skin care items is almost empty but you don’t know when the next sale is and you can’t bring yourself to pay full price 😤 

@alexasteph I hate paying full price... I know the deal. 😂

@QueenMarceline Especially when you can anticipate there will be a few points in the year where you don’t have to! 

If only Cosmetic companies would consistently and clearly indicate the size/weight of their wares. Consumers are not idiots- we know that .08gm is puny. So quit dancing around...in effort vain.

Perhaps this topic has been mentioned already here-?

When you are interested in a new lippie, but this works with about any beauty product🤔😒, but can't see in person or find enough irl swatches to see if you have a dupe/  "really" need it in your stash. 

@sonnydee Absolutely agree.

giphy (5).gif

I accidentally redeemed 500 points last night when I placed an order. I guess that I need to be wide awake next time I place an order.

Oh, no, @Loretta55 ! 😝 I've done that but caught it in time before placing the order.  I hope it is something you can make work for you.  🤞

I’ve done that before @Loretta55. I got lucky and realized what I did and I was able to cancel the order in time.

Oh no, @Loretta55! That would frustrate me, too.

Unfortunately I did not catch it until yesterday morning and I already received my shipping notice @curlychiquita @Titian06 @faeriegirl .

Oh my - I had a second pet peeve to post today.  I wanted to contact Sephora's CS, and found that the online contact form seems to be no more.  We're encouraged to use the toll free number or online chat.  I can only speak for myself, but I find those options to either be inconvenient or inefficient.  It seems like a lot of companies are doing that - Gap, Old Navy, Netflix, Dermstore, Target, Kohl's, BBW.  I find myself giving up.  And it's not just for negative issues - many times I'd like to give a shout out to an excellent SA, give feedback that I think would help, make a suggestion, etc.

@greeneyedgirl107 Interesting, I actually really like Sephora's new chat function. It's helped me reach CS about missing items in my order or other issues must quicker and gets solved in minutes rather than days. For positive feedback on an SA or store experience, I think you can fill out a survey online (Sephora Canada had this running with Medallia) and an SA should be able to give you a notecard with it. I do see what you mean about an online contact form being convenient for general site feedback though.

@Margalee There used to be a contact form that was separate from the CS group.  It was confidential in that it was sent directly to Sephora - kind of like an e-mail.  That's what option was taken away.

I'm having an issue with BOPIS.  Companies are pushing it these days, and I think it's a great idea.  The problem is that at Ulta and BBW I've wanted to place BOPIS orders, only to find that the item(s) I want aren't in stock at the brick and mortar store.  The thing is, I know that they are in face available in store.  I e-mailed Ulta about this, and they sd that it could be related to low inventory.  I understand that - you don't want to offer something for BOPIS with only a few left.  BUT, I know BBW had plenty of candles in my store (as in dozens).  What's the point of BOPIS if it's going to be like that?

And while we're on the subject, BBW only gives you two days to pick something up.  If I'm doing BOPIS it means I'm busy- so two days isn't enough.  For me, Ulta's five day is more reasonable.

I have a pet peeve that has driven me batty for months.  It's the beauty "influencers" and reviewers, who critique products and unfairly give them bad ratings.  

The reasons for the bad reviews are many.  But, if the reviewers were honest, the real reason is often the people in the mirror.  It's usually the people demonstrating the "no makeup look."  Now, the products come with explicit instructions, including a short instructional video.  Why is it so difficult to use the products as they were intended and to follow simple instructions?  For instance, the reviewers often use the products incorrectly (i.e. applying numerous layers of foundation with a brush when the instructions specifically state that a small amount should be used after warming up with the fingers).  Then they wonder why the foundation is cakey and moves around despite applying copious amounts of setting powder.  To put color back in the face, they then apply lots of bronzer, which makes them look like a Thundercat or the Great Pumpkin.  The reviewers then proceed to apply these huge triangles of concealer from under their eyes to their cheeks, do a poor job of blending it all out, and then pile tons of setting powder on top. Baking is a technique developed by drag queens for the stage and yet...

The other issue is when the reviewer uses a product that is clearly not intended for his or her skin type. Nothing sends me through the roof quicker than someone with dry skin complaining that a matte product (that is clearly marketed for oily skin) sticks to every dry patch and accentuates every pore.  Did they not read the product description?  Then there are the skincare products that should only be used sparingly or periodically.  Yet, they will review the product after 7 straight days of use--morning, noon and night--and then gripe because their skin broke out.

Another instance is when a product is misused such as a mattifying primer, which is only intended to be used in the T-zone over the foundation.  Instead the reviewer used the product all over his/her face--including the delicate eye area!--before applying foundation and then is highly upset because the product didn't work for them and their foundation flaked right off.  

Granted, there are products out there that shouldn't be on the shelves, particularly hair products that cause breakage or skincare products that cause adverse reactions.  They should be called out as a public service.  But, when someone misuses a product and unfairly gives it a bad review, it "influences" others to shy away from buying something that may be just right for them.

@missjr Piggy-backing off of this: I can't stand it when someone with "typical" hair or skin or whatever tells people how great a product is for, let's say, anti-frizz, when their hair isn't frizz-prone to begin with.  It's easy to like a product when you aren't suffering from a malady to begin with.

The darn plastic inserts that are inside of the eyeshadow palettes drive me crazy. I was excited to use my new Tarte Juicy eyeshadow palette and in my excitement I forgot to remove the insert and it fell on the floor.

@Loretta55 

Haha, I love those. I keep them on and keep my makeup in the original box for as long as possible (till box is falling apart) to help keep it fresh. I really like my makeup to look pristine no matter how much use it gets. But I get why others dislike the films, and I also wish they were more eco-friendly, at least.

1 Reply
testing