Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

So I’m madly in love with Beauty Bakerie setting spray. I used to be able to order it (I live in Canada), but the last time I tried the site informed me THAT PRODUCT in particular no longer ships to Canada. I can order anything else - just not that. I am assuming it has something to do with it bring in an aerosol can. 

Aaaaand of course Sephora doesn’t carry Beauty Bakerie products. 

@Annex1 - Ulta carries Beauty Bakerie, but I don't know if they carry that product or ship to Canada.  I have heard Ulta is coming to Canada,  though.  🇨🇦

Ulta shipped to Canada for a short period, then they stopped last April. We don’t know why or if it’s coming back. Normally there is a way around this, by ordering stuff to a parcel pick-up business by the border, then just drive to the border and pick it up. The problem is these businesses are on US soil and we can’t cross the border, even for 5 minutes to get a package, due to Covid. There is a rumour Ulta will return to Canada by building stores here, like Sephora. 

Is not telling people that they're makeup doesn't ''advantage'' them can be considered a pet peeve ??

Now i know what some of you might say, that I'm no one to judge, but this isn't what I'm saying.

There's a difference with preferences and someone making mistakes, ill give examples:

Sad face eyebrows, contour in a really bad place and not blended,etc.

PLEASE don't come for me, I'm only asking if it can be considered a pet peeve to feel the need to tell/help people, but not doing it because they could take it really bad, get hurt and or flip out. 

If they don't like makeup tell them to shut up and stop talking to you. They're dumb.

Reminds me of being scolded by a stranger for eating a big sundae at a restaurant. My freedom and my inclinations towards anything do not start and stop with anyone but me.

Ignore them. That is annoying. They can keep it to themselves.

Hmmmm.....@Emy10 I guess it depends on how often you feel the need to say something or how bad it irritates you if you consider it a pet peeve but peeves are personal so peeve on! 😂..it only happened to me on 1 occasion that it shocked me enough- I literally stopped walking & stared- to want to say something. A younger girl had drawn her eyebrows super thick. But, she may like them like that so 🤷. A hairdresser & me get into it about the bushy eyebrow look. She thinks I should grow mine out & I don't. She says it will make me looker younger..insert roll of eyes here..i get confused for a high schooler when i have my hair down. Im almost 40 with a high schooler. How young does she think I should look?!😂

@sonnydee 😂😂😂😂😂 Oh god bushy brows... I CANT lol. James Charles style. I CANT and I'm NOT sorry, this is my opinion, whoever else can love them IDC, but I cant LOLLLLL

By the way, thank you for not coming at me, because i feel like some people sooner or later might get all like WHO ARE YOOOO to judge People!!!! lol and its not my intention at all, it was just a question.

Bad makeup in general bugs me; it doesn't stop me from sleeping but i guess its ADD lol

My wonky lashes. It’s not that they don’t curl or are straight their just .. . Lol like I apply mascara it’s cool give it a few minutes and it’s like nothing has happened. Somewhere in that day after the application I have wiped my lashes lol. 

the fact that I have a time tryna get mascara in the cracks and crevices of my eyelashes :o| Lolllll

Not a product pet peeve but when you sneeze before your mascara is dry 🙄 I do my eye makeup before anything else but it is still annoying having to use makeup remover on my undereye to get the mascara off then I have to basically rewash the undereye area to get the makeup remover off so my primer and foundation stick. 

Sunblock that leaves a weird whitish hue on non-white skin. 

Bec sunblock is a non-negotiable so it sucks to have to start my makeup on ashy tinted skin

Try Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL .  It is brown girl friendly and amazing.  It goes on clear and is also a primer.  It’s amazing how one thing can do 2 things very well.  It’s Reef safe, vegan, has no fragrance and is cruelty free. I wear it every single day.  You won’t even believe you are wearing it.  

That is a good one! That is the one I referred to in another post, that and COOLA I use.

I wear sunscreens with or without dimethocone, I figure as long as what's underneath is free of it (that is all, can't worry too much, ya know?)

But yes, that one goes on nicely and is a great primer. I try for mineral, but I am not that stringent. And agree, recommend and use that Supergoop! 👍

Try some Korean based skincare SPF’s!  They’re wonderful and most don’t leave a white cast. 

@Kennyxvii  I feel your pain and know your struggle all too well. Do you use only physical/mineral sunscreens and need an invisible one? Or are you okay with chemical sunscreens (they tend to be invisible)? 

If the former: have you tried Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Sheer Mineral Sun Spray SPF 50 4 oz ? That's my current favorite mineral sunscreen. Shake the bottle, spray a generous amount into your palm, rub your palms together for a few seconds, and them apply the sunscreen to your face for magically 100% invisible coverage. This sunscreen plays nice with my mostly-dry combo skin and isn't too dewy, if you know what I mean. 

If you don't mind a very dewy finish, you could also try one of the CoTZ sunscreens. CoTZ only makes mineral sunscreens, and they're generally great. I have a tube of their sensitive skin sunscreen (untinted) and it's also completely invisible, as long as I take my time and apply it in 2-3 thin layers. But whenever I use it, I have to dust my face with some kind of setting powder to tone down the extreme shine. (I like a natural finish with a bit of mild radiance, instead of a very "glass skin" look.) On those days, I usually top that sunscreen with a powder foundation or a powdered sunscreen like Supergoop! Invincible Setting Powder SPF 45 Translucent (also comes in 3 tints). 

We've all seen at least one favorite product go through a for-worse reformulation, right? Youth To The People recently did it with my beloved Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m... : they've added several bad-for-me fragrance components, on top of the existing "natural fragrance" my skin was okay with. WHY, YTTP. WHY. There was nothing wrong with this moisturizer's scent, and now I can't buy it anymore because you added hexyl cinnamal + 4 other fragrance components. I have 2 unopened backup jars that I think I bought before the reformulation, but I'll double-check their ingredients to make sure I can still use them. Meanwhile, this may be a good time to test The INKEY List Hemp Oil Moisturizer 1 oz/ 30 mL (well, after I'm done testing TIL's peptide moisturizer) as a potential year-round replacement. Guess I can add that to my upcoming sale cart. 

Also, an update on my By Terry/US Customs saga: 

Spoiler
By Terry is still in escalation mode. But they did ship me 2 full size products for free; I think they've sent these as gifts to anyone whose orders were quite delayed due to their own website issues. Anyway, I'm surprised they got here as fast as they did, with no customs holdup or inspection this time. Hooray! 

I've used both these products before; the setting powder is my favorite by anyone, so I'm super happy to have a freebie!I've used both these products before; the setting powder is my favorite by anyone, so I'm super happy to have a freebie!

@WinglessOne I still have not heard back from the brand, and considering how promptly they responding to my first inquiry...not sure what to think. I plan to follow up this week, will keep you posted.

Thanks for persisting, @eshoe ! 💚 I might contact them myself as well, because I checked Wayback Machine for a cached version of their product page with the old ingredients and found it, dated April 6, 2020: 

AC8EE860-732F-4050-A4D4-2BAB8F8F841D.jpeg

So, they either tweaked the ingredients after that date or they didn't get around to updating their own site til sometime this year. Either way, I wish they'd just own up to it. Companies reformulate things all the time—it's not an unusual thing—so it's interesting that YTTP's so slow to confirm it. 

Wayback Machine @WinglessOne? That’s a new one, I’ve bookmarked it for future use😉

I guess I’ve just never considered that companies would be reconfiguring a product if people aren’t complaining about it. But the Herbivore kind of broke that theory. At any rate, will keep you posted if I do hear anything. I haven’t experienced any issues with the new jar I have, I just hope you don’t, either.

@WinglessOne I have heard back from YTTP already (!), here is the direct communication I received:

Thank you so much for reaching out! I was able to confirm with our Cosmetic Chemist that our Superfood Air-whip Cream was not updated or reformulated.If you have any question or concerns please let us know, we'd be more than happy to help!”

So...I guess a follow up is in order? Not sure what to make of it🤷🏻‍♀️

@eshoe  Thanks for reporting back! Their response is interesting because the old and new ingredients lists are obviously different. I'd send screenshots of both lists to YTTP and ask which list is correct—and also, was the old list always wrong. Example: on the new list, ascorbic acid is the 12th ingredient; on the old list, it's the 8th ingredient. Sure, the % used could still be the same for all we know. Or, there could be less vitamin C in this moisturizer than there used to be. 🤷‍♀️

More importantly (to me), the old list doesn't include the last 4 items on the new list (Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool) which are all potentially irritating fragrance components. Hexyl cinnamal in particular is an allergen, though I'm guessing the % of folks allergic to it is quite small. 

New list via YTTP siteNew list via YTTP siteOld list via Nordstrom siteOld list via Nordstrom site

If YTTP is claiming this moisturizer's contained hexyl cinnamal from day one, in a large enough amount to make them think "huh, maybe we should call this ingredient out on the label from now on instead of hiding it under 'fragrance'," I'll be ticked off enough to maybe stop using YTTP products altogether. That'll completely kill my trust in them. It might also explain some weirdness that's happened with my skin in the past. 🤦‍♀️ 

@WinglessOne there was a blanket response which I didn’t include, in case you were interested:

Spoiler
We recently launched our 15-minute skin consultations with our amazing education team. It's a great place to get to talk in real life to someone on our team to make sure you’re getting the best out of your routine, talk about your skin type, or ask any skincare questions that may be lingering on your mind. We can also create a skincare routine specifically catered to you and your skin needs. If you’re interested, you can find a place to sign up here!

Have a wonderful weekend, we want to thank you kindly for all your support.

I am going to follow up with your photos, if that is ok with you. 

2 Replies
testing