Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Thanks @eshoe , and please let us know if YTTP replies to you! I'd love to hear their explanation. 🙂

I will @WinglessOne, you are the one person I know who loves this as much as I do, so I will be sure to tag you. 

@WinglessOne - Ugh!  My F&F order contains my first jar of this moisturizer.  I was hesitant because of the natural fragrance; I didn't even notice the others!  The other problem is finding something without lavender oil, extract, etc.  It's an irritant regardless what the beauty community says.

@Titian06 If you do open it, would you please update with your thoughts on the scent? It was originally somewhat grassy. Thank you!

@eshoe - First, I don't have a very good sense of smell just so you know.  Second, I opened the jar last night, but didn't use it.  I don't recall smelling anything when I gave it a quick sniff.  After reading your post, I I did a more thorough testing.  I honestly don't smell anything.  I put my nose as close to the contents as I could without actually sticking my nose in the moisturizer.  I also dabbed a little on the back of my hand to see if using it would make a difference.  I think I may have smelled an ever so slight fresh scent, but it was gone so fast that I may have imagined it. 

Thank you @Titian06 for the feedback. I notice a stronger scent when applying it, so based on your thoughts, I’m 🤞🏼 the scent hasn’t been altered too much. I appreciate the tag☺️

@Titian06  Oh man, lavender oil is my face's arch nemesis. I avoid lavender extract, too. Eh, even if lavender doesn't irritate everyone's skin right now, it probably will after some length of consistent use. Or maybe not, I dunno, everyone's skin is different. But lavender is volatile stuff. I've had an easier time finding products without any lavender (unless oil/extract is snuck into the mix as "fragrance," and then I have to smell the product to see if that telltale scent is there) than with citrus oils/extracts. In either case, it's such a bummer to find a promising product and then see those dang oils/extracts listed among the ingredients. 

When your jar arrives, check the ingredients list. I'm not sure when this moisturizer was reformulated, but I could swear YTTP was still showing the old ingredients list on their own product page as recently as last weekend. I remember seeing the updated list on Sephora's product page, flipping out a bit, then going to YTTP direct to compare lists. Today I went back to their site and they'd updated the list. 😞 Anyway, unless Sephora recently dumped/offloaded all their older stock, there's a chance you'll get a jar of the old formula. I hope you do! 

Thanks for the suggestion,  @WinglessOne !  My order came today so I still have the packaging handy.  😁

Edit:  My box lists the same ingredients as the Sephora & YTTP product pages.

@Titian06  Well shoot. 😞 Thanks for checking, and for doing a smell test. On a potentially positive note, I don't think YTTP removed any of the helpful ingredients. They've just been shuffled around. I'd probably be fine with that, had they not also added those extra fragrance components. 

Products that have a "universal tint" are horrible! I am very fair and when a product has a "universal tint" I always end up looking like I got a bad tan! It was so hard this summer trying to find a good SPF that didn't have a tint *sigh* 

Oh I relate.  They make me look sickly.  

If something is backordered, say so from the beginning. Dont have the item up for sale when you dont even have it in your warehouse yet. 😐

{for those curious, this has happened 2x when ordering masks from Pat McGrath direct. 1st time, I was kept in the dark. It wasnt until I reached out & asked why my package was almost taking a month to get to me. 'Oh, our shipment got delayed 2x we expect it to ship around such such date- a week later. This time masks again, but they made a note - days after I ordered & no response again- on the items page. Expected to ship 9/28. Ok, 9/28 came & went. No shipping. Reached out. Generic response. Your items are being processed. Blah, blah. Now it says to be shipped out 10/2. Sorry, rant over}😡

@sonnydee Guess I won’t be getting a tracking for mine either till Friday.  I know when I ordered mine it was a preorder that was scheduled to ship 9/28. 

I ordered mine 9/19 the day I got the email. @SportyGirly125 if it was a preorder. Great. Tell me

@sonnydee Masks are delayed again.  Now on the website it says 10/5.

@sonnydee I ordered it the day the email came out and saw on the product page when I added it to cart that it wasn’t scheduled to ship till 9/28. I didn’t follow up with it and was going to give it a couple of days for the tracking #

THE COST OF INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING.

Like, I get it. I really do. But my favourite brand of lipsticks is Besame and they're based in California and I'm in Canada. So to have shipping with a tracking number costs a stupid amount of money...which gets multiplied when you take the exchange rate right now into account...

It's definitely prohibitive so you better believe I use those lipsticks to the last possible ounce. 

I hate when domestic shipping costs more than the item(S) you've purchased.  That's a huge no buy for me.

@GlitterQueen83  Shipping costs are a huge deterrent for me as well though it’s the duties that scare me the most.   I don’t like unknowns and wondering how much I’m ACTUALLY paying for that palette.  

What's worse than TSA pawing through your belongings at airports? This: 

Never a good sign. (Grey block-out bars & blurred barcodes done by me.)Never a good sign. (Grey block-out bars & blurred barcodes done by me.)

It's my order from By Terry direct. It shipped from France in late August. It arrived in the US—in my city, even—the next day. Then US Customs held it hostage—er, put it in "clearance event" status. For a month. AN ENTIRE MONTH, Y'ALL. That's the longest i've ever had a package held by customs. "Maybe the delay was due to covid?" Sure, some mail delays I expect and understand. But I've had no issues receiving packages direct from Korea and Japan, and haven't heard that packages from France (or anywhere else in Europe) are under increased customs scrutiny lately. 🤷‍♀️ I just know my innocent French package sat in a Chicago facility FOR AN ENTIRE MONTH before finally being released and delivered to me. 

Customs had opened my package to "inspect" the contents because of course they did, for reasons unknown because they don't have to explain themselves. 🙄 Of the 4 items I ordered, only 2 were in the box, plus a couple of samples. The 2 missing items are travel sized powder products. Either By Terry forgot to include them before shipping, or someone at customs "lost" them and will likely "find" them in their pants/shirt/jacket pocket. 

I've already emailed By Terry to see what recourse I have from their end. I don't wanna do the Where The Bleep Are My Bleeping "Lost" Items You Bleepheads (or, Why The Bleep Would You Bleeping "Confiscate" These Items Instead Of The Others) dance with US Customs. That never ends well with TSA and I expect nothing different from customs. 

Also: this will be the last time I order direct from By Terry—and it's probably not the brand's fault, it's just that I don't wanna chance another customs clearance event. I normally order By Terry products from Nordstrom, Dermstore, SpaceNK, SkinStore/LookFantastic, etc. But I wanted the new pressed compact version of my favorite setting powder and, at the time, By Terry direct was the only place selling it. Impatience bit me hard this time. Lesson learned. 

17 Replies
testing