Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@ChescaCatI'm so glad you got help! I know this is ultra-heavy, but when I was assaulted, I was a kid. I still frequently struggle with wearing makeup since a lot of times that lead to other altercations at a retail job I had in my teens (or maybe I just felt it was the result of makeup but it was unrelated, who knows).

@WinglessOneis absolutely right and I saw a lot in her post I related to, especially the feeling like a hypocrite bit. Ultimately though- there is nothing you can wear, nothing you can do, nothing you can look like that is an invitation. Your experience is not a reflection on you, it is a reflection on the people who did this. From personal experience, healing takes time. There are good days and bad days, but the experience unfortunately will be with you forever. Take time, forgive yourself, remind yourself everyday that you are strong, that you deserve to do and to have the things that bring you joy, and that if some days you don't feel up to the challenge- that is okay too. They will be new days to try again

@ChescaCatI'm so sorry you went through this. @WinglessOne is right - lipstick is not an invitation ever. I hope one day you no longer feel that constant fear and are able to enjoy liking lipstick again. Stay strong ❤️

That's awful.

First and foremost, give yourself a hug if you haven't already.  Like @WinglessOne said, it's some terrible, pathetic, warped person (and I say person loosely) need to assert dominance.

You did nothing wrong.  You made no invitation.

@ChescaCat  First: I’m relieved that security guards came to your rescue. ❤️ 

Next: I completely understand this. I was in baggy sweats when I was assaulted, and to this day I still get anxious when I wear baggy clothes. I know it’s an irrational reaction, especially since sexual predators aren’t really attracted to people’s appearance; it’s the opportunity to overpower someone that attracts them. Still, years later I can’t look at myself in baggy sweats without thinking “someone’s gonna see this as an invitation.” It doesn’t help that I also have an anxiety disorder (had it before this incident happened), but that’s a different (though related) topic. 

So when I say “it’s not red lipstick that attracted your attackers (and again, I’m so happy you were able to get help so they couldn’t get very far), it was simply their vile need to overpower you, regardless of how you happened to look that night,” I kinda feel like a hypocrite because I’m still trying to make myself fully accept that line of thought. But this doesn’t make it any less true. So I hope you’re able to wear red lipstick again with little or no fear. The lipstick’s not an invitation. There is no invitation. There’s only some a**hole’s power quest. 

Gucci.PNG

Okie Gucci! Is this a joke???? And the reviews are all from the ppl receive product for free.  That just kills the mood for me!!! And I thought you're classier than this.  Pass!

Personally, I'm kinda glad to see it. I don't find it particularly attractive, but sometimes beauty is about pushing the norms a bit. Celebrating beauty in everyone should be applauded. 

@RGbrown Same!

This makes me very happy - I recall when Gucci first launched the lipstick it and posted this photo on their Instagram page.

There were some people commenting on the post that actually had that condition (I can't remember the name, but you're born without those teeth) and they were saying how glad they were to feel represented. One girl specifically said she had spent money she didn't have fixing her smile and that maybe if those images had been around when she was younger she wouldn't have.

Also on the comments were a lot of people calling the image many ugly names that I will not repeat. It's funny because there is this whole movement where we should embrace our differences, but it seems that a lot of people draw the line when it comes to teeth.

@RGbrown  @Cyncynn  I 100% agree! This is a genetic condition called "Hypodontia." I've worked in a couple dental offices and the patients I've seen with this condition feel embarrassed to smile and don't have money to fix it. A lot of insurance companies (at least back when I was still working) won't cover much, if anything at all, because it is considered cosmetic. So, no, maybe not exactly pleasing to the eye, but at the same, it's so refreshing to see something other than a perfect smile with perfectly straight, Hollywood-white teeth. You don't need perfect teeth to wear lipstick. If I had a teenage daughter, I'd much rather them see pictures like this, that shows that not everyone is perfect and that you're still beautiful even with "imperfections." 

@blackkitty2014 I had the same reaction. Maybe this is a new trend - my parents are going to be so upset that they spent all that money on braces when Jabber Jaw teeth are the new "it" thing.

Image result for jabber jaws

Spoiler
I'm just kidding. I know I was very fortunate to be able to have gotten braces growing up.

@niki172 thx for the gif. It cracked me up 😂🤣😘

@blackkitty2014 I *may* have dated myself there, but when the shoe fits....😂😂.

@blackkitty2014 - I'm missing those same two teeth.  I got bridges and crowns after my braces came off.

Anonymous Insider

Putting on the perfect face half awake in the morning and then getting in the car to go to work, looking in the mirror and I OOP-

@Anonymous Yeah, I woke up super early this morning so I took the time to do a neutral eye look that in the past had appeared well blended and a little dewy.  Today it just looked flat once I got to work.  Upsetting - like, is the palette not how I remembered, do I need new brushes, or did I just do an awful job?!  😛

What is wrong with people? Two different clients of mine today (who I see on a regular basis) both grown men out of the blue said to me something along the lines of “You would be so much prettier if...” 🤦‍♀️🤯 In an office environment that would be sexual harassment but I don’t work in an office. I’m disgusted and deeply offended. It’s not okay to say things like that to someone. 

RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

“Well you’d be so much handsomer if you kept your opinions to yourself” 🙂

RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@GG84 sorry you had to hear this utter BS. These sort of comments piss me off to no end.

Turds!

I love Janelle Monae, someone tried to feed her some crap and she was "I'm not for male consumption."

@GG84Ug!! That's so inappropriate 😠 Hope the rest of your week is better ❤️

@GG84 I've been trying to think of some possible reason for their statements, but there just isn't.  I'm sorry you had to go through that not once but twice.  Here's to better days ahead!

Image result for hearts gif

@GG84That's so gross, I'm sorry that happened to you (and to anyone ever), much less at work- like dang yo I already have 1000 things I'd rather be doing and listening to your BS still managed to make the top of the list 🙄

1 Reply
testing