Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

RE: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

I never get samples from Sephora. Just got my mail order asked to orders samples I did. They didn’t have samples included. Not the first time. No more mail order for me ever.

Re: RE: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@joannw  A lot of us have had this happen at one time or another, sometimes for a good while.  It seems to depend upon the warehouse that ships your order.  I received two correct ones today, and a perfume I didn't order.  I guess we all kind of hold our breath to see what happens when we open our orders.

I don't make any orders just to get a particular sample anymore because of this.

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

My pet peeve is when my family comes to stay at our house and I have to place most of my scattered counter makeup and purchases, I just haven't had a chance to use, up. First, really don't want them joking with me about my beauty habit, 2nd I don't want any grungy hands touching my precious items ( especially that new red Pat McGrath eyeshadow palette that I jumped through hoops to get) Oh well, in the drawers and shelves my items go.

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@Luvstravel   I can relate...

After years of no issues regarding shipping (even to a foreign country!), I decided to order the new Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips and have it shipped to my parent's house since I'll be there for a few days visiting and didn't want it to go to my empty home... well, the package tracking showed as delivered 2 days ago..............and it's not at my parent's house 😫😭. This is the first Sephora package to ever go missing for me 😭😭😭 and of course it had to be the new hot lips that I've been wanting to try so bad!! Thank goodness Sephora has such great customer service, the beauty adviser on the phone was understanding and after checking a few things on her end, refunded my purchase after I declined her offer to expedite a new one to me... I'm not sure if I'll still be here when it gets here.

I have a sneaky suspicion that it was delivered to the house a block away, since we have almost identical addresses, just one letter difference, E and W. My Dad went over to ask them if they received my package, but the lady said no.  Or maybe I'm just over thinking this and jumping to conclusions. Any-who... I'm just sad for the lost Hot Lips. I'll re-order when I get to the new house and hope for no issues with shipping ever again. 😔

@angelKiss24   Occasionally we get our mail, including packages, sent to an address in our same city that has the same house number, different street name by one word, and different zip code.  

Sometimes the mail is even labeled correctly, and what I was told by UPS or somebody, is that the bar code that the mail has that is marked by the postal sorting station may have the incorrect address and that causes the misdelivery.  Unless the mail person is really paying attention, I guess that can easily happen.

@angelKiss24, That is sad when you are really looking for...

@angelKiss24, That is sad when you are really looking forward to a product. I agree with you about Sephora customer service being excellent!

I’m irritated that I haven’t figured out the perfect  amount of oil to put in my hair after nearly 40 years.   I’m constantly applying oil and then using dry shampoo to correct the mess I make.  Just a little peeve I wanted to rant about. 

RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

#SAME

Kinda beauty related: When I politely correct or disagree with someone and they take it so personally, they hold a grudge and snub me for life. 

The last time this happened to me was last week. Some friends and I were chatting in another forum about skincare, offering solicited advice to a mutual friend. One friend incorrectly claimed that Product X would do the same thing as Product Y because of their ingredients. Having used both products myself, researched them both and their ingredients, and asked 2 dermatologists about them in the past, I politely corrected her. She’s avoided me ever since. As in, she’ll reply to everyone else in a conversation except me. Because I’m a big meaniehead who had the audacity to ensure a mutual friend got the correct info, lest she waste money and time on a product that wouldn’t suit her needs. 🙄 

You know, if I’m factually wrong about something I say, I want someone to correct me. Sometimes that leads to very interesting discussions in which I and the corrector learn stuff. Most of my friends know I’m constantly in learn mode, and that I seek the truth in all things. This keeps me awake some nights as I research things like clinical studies and cross-reference different people’s opinions/statements/facts on the same topic. 😂 I’m obviously not the only person whose brain’s wired this way. I can’t imagine going through life holding grudges against everyone who’s factually disagreed with you, and refusing to admit when you’re wrong. 

I’ve known this particular friend since college (so, 20+ years now) so I’m kinda familiar with this behavior of hers. It’s not the first time she’s done this to me or any of our other friends. She’ll come around, eventually. I just have to let her burn all this grudge energy off. But that doesn’t make it any less annoying. I won’t even get into what it does to my anxiety; that’s a whole different topic. Sigh... 

Don’t take polite disagreements and corrections personally, folks. 

@WinglessOne   I'm sorry that happened to you.  I regularly make mistakes on here (bound to happen if I post late at night or just the fact that I post so much the odds are in  my favor I won't do it perfectly all the time.)

I'm glad @ohheyitscindyk  found my mistake in the Ulta GWP post I made about the Mystery Bags, because I didn't notice that two were of the same brand, and a third a brand I didn't know much about.  I could have wasted by gwp opportunity!

One thing that I find remarkable though, is when a person corrects me about info given to me by a professional when they were not even there to hear the advice.  They are questioning either a.) My memory (possible, but  not about something I'd been doing in the same manner for twenty years,) and/or b.) the competence of a professional that had way more education than the said person did by researching Google.

@Ispend2much6  Sometimes people will correct me when I restate what one (or more) doctors have directly told me. If the corrector is themself a doctor, or has heard conflicting info from their own doc, then I’ll happily listen. That’s one of those cases where we can both learn things. 🙂 That’s happened to me a few times, and usually it’s prompted me and the corrector to do even more research—based on a “huh, I wonder why there’s strong professional disagreement on this” question—and uncover interesting things. Eh, docs aren’t all on the same page about everything. 

But if the corrector isn’t a doc or isn’t relaying their doc’s insights, then I’ll usually ask what they’re basing things on. Maybe they’ve done extensive research on the topic and can point me toward some good reference material. Maybe they’re in school studying the topic—in which case, I wonder if what they’re being taught is on par with practicing doctors’ knowledge, and sometimes I’ll ask a doc or 2 about that. Not to prove anyone right or wrong, though. Purely to learn the truth. 

And hey, good lookin’ out for you on the Ulta Mystery Bags! 😄 Now that’s the kind of correction everyone should always welcome! 

@WinglessOne   Agree that offering potentially conflicting info can lead to a learning experience.  I just don't like the times I'm told, "You're wrong," and that's the end of  it. 🙂

@WinglessOne   I think that’s a personality issue of  theirs and has nothing to do with you.  As much as it sucks to be rudely ignored, do you really want that person in your circle if they’re that thin skinned that they can’t handle a disagreement?  The silent treatment is a form of psychological punishment that I am not okay with.  It’s a sign of emotional immaturity.  The easiest way to end someone’s silent treatment is to act like you don’t notice and don’t care. ;). 

@heartsmyface  Very true. That’s how I try to rationalize her silent treatment—“just ignore it for now, you know she’s throwing another of her grudge tantrums, it’s not your fault”—so I don’t fall into the fun anxiety spiral of believing I did something terrible to her. She and I are both pushing 50. Each time she does this, I want to cut her out of my life. This might be the time I finally do it. Especially since she’s always refused to see a therapist or psychologist, no matter how many of our mutual friends or her relatives tell her she seems to have most of the classic markers for NPD—and anyone who’s dealt with a true narcissist knows how frustrating and exhausting that relationship can be. As much as I want to keep trying to help her, I know she’s taking advantage of my personality and I need to end that. 

As for other folks who exhibit the “you said I was wrong, therefore I’ll never speak to you again” bs: maybe if they realize they’re kinda behaving like a narcissist, they’ll stop. 😄 

@WinglessOne   As long as you recognize it for what it is  it’s much easier to deal with and stay sane.  

I didn’t want to bring up NPD but it was running though my mind as a suspicion while reading your post.   I mean, everyone is capable of exerting narcissistic traits at times and that’s fine and perfectly natural but if it’s a general pattern of disruptive behaviour then maybe cutting them out is something to consider.  

My general rule of thumb these days is that if I don’t feel good or better about myself after hanging out or talking with someone then something is off.  

im non-binary and I dont mind people calling me a he (even if I prefer she/her/their) but daamnnnnn, I hate my facial hair so much. I’d kill to have a flawless hairless face 😭 i hate it even more bec I have to shave it and then color correct all the spots where the hair grew before I put on my makeup 😢 nothing wrong with it, but ugh im just really frustrated at my facial hair.

I’m so sorry, that must suck. They’re a bit pricey, but have you looked into at-home permanent hair removal? It is IPL, which everyone calls lasers. I’ll let you look into the research if you’re interested, just saw your post and thought the idea wouldn’t hurt. If you’re curious I can talk more about the pros and cons.

Re: RE: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@andreadaqueen   Awwww, sorry your facial hair is so bothersome to you,   I know there are laser treatments you can have done to thin out and even halt hair growth.  I think you need anywhere from between 6-10 sessions at $200 a pop to eliminate the hair completely but that may be something you want to invest in if it’s really affecting you.  

I used to bleach my peach fuzz once a month to minimize its appearance before finally starting to dermaplane it off.  That may be a temporary option.  

Waxing would probably be pretty painful but would be quick if done professionally.  I feel like you’d probably be pretty red for a day or two. Using a face oil regularly would decrease your risk of ingrown hairs.  

Constant puffy eyes. I feel like I have "good eye days" and "bad eye days," and bad ones are ones where my eyes look so puffy that they appear even more hooded than usual and eye makeup is a strugglebus.

Skin that appears to be getting drier and drier as I get older. Everything cracks, there is no saving it.

@blueviolet21, My bags under my eyes are my pet peeve als...

@blueviolet21, My bags under my eyes are my pet peeve also. Rest makesso much difference for me and I'm religious about my eye cream. Here's 2 pics showing how different my bags can look. First pic I needed sleep, 2nd pic is with lots of rest 🙂

testing