Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@keana1 Yep, that’s one of the things I warn friends and family against when it comes to using makeup testers or sharing makeup. That and pinkeye, and various other nasty things you can contract via your eyes and lips. It’s all so gross! 

I’m not a germaphobe but I never swatch tester eyeshadows on my hand without spritzing the pots/palettes with alcohol and wiping away the top layer with a tissue. And I never try them on my eyelids. Sephora and Ulta (and Nordstrom) have spray bottles of alcohol out at testing stations for a reason. If I see a young customer—someone who looks like a teenager, especially a pre-teen—using testers directly on their face, I always stop them and explain what they should do instead. I don’t care if that makes me Mom Patrol 😄 as long as it keeps kids from catching and spreading cooties. 

@WinglessOne It’s great that you educate teenagers about contamination! Even if you feel like the Mom Patrol !

@starsandbucks This is a disaster! I wouldn’t want to test anything even on the back of my hands! 

Oh god the Stila highlighters that are that bouncy jelly-type texture would have haunted your soul for days @keana1

That’s what I really should have taken a pic of. It looked like a seventh grade science experiment. 

@starsandbucks I don’t even want to think about those 🤢 ! I’d be curious about taking a sample and put it in a Petri dish and incubate it for 48-72 hours and analyze the results under a microscope ! You would see bacteria multiplying and just plain YUCK! 

By the way, how’s your eye?

My thoughts are that you’re probably touching waaay worse with your hands throughout the day without realizing.  At least when you’re testing on the back of your hand you’re knowing to wipe it off with alcohol:) @keana1

@heartsmyface I was referring to that particular store! When I swatch something I use the back of my hand and I also clean them up with alcohol just like you do, but that store just looked so unsanitary and messy I just had to exaggerate a little 😉!

I feel you on this @starsandbucks My store carries YSL but they are either completely out of stock or the testers have been used to every last drop.

Also: When tester areas look like this and you reeeeeally wanna test something, so you flag down a Sephora employee and ask if they can make a new tester for you, and they give you a bit of attitude about it. This (the eye roll/loud sigh/“FINE” type of reaction) has only happened to me twice that I can remember, but that’s 2 times too many. 

I mean look, I get it. The store’s crowded and you’ve been running around all day, and this is just one more annoyance for you, and you’re pretty much over customers by now. But I’m not the one who played hide and seek with the testers, so don’t take your frustration out on me. If you want me to open a product myself and turn it into a tester, I’m happy to do that for you—but I’m pretty sure your employer doesn’t want me to do that, so... yeah. 

I do feel bad for Sephora folks when the store’s crowded and there are truly obnoxious customers in there. And I do wish customers would promptly return testers to their correct location. (How hard is it to put a shade of lipstick/foundation/etc. in the correctly labeled tester slot? C’mon now.) But a rude employee will keep me out of that Sephora location forever, since there are so many other Sephoras in this city to choose from, plus a Nordstrom. 

Not being able to sign into BIC for months even with all the little tricks- cookie removal, going through the backdoor sign in, changing up my hair color.... I was beginning to think I’d been banned for sacrificing kittens to the beauty gods.  It was only a couple kittens!  

Anyways hello everyone!!!  💖💖💖

You know better than to sacrifice even a single kitten! For shame! Because I've been sacrificing puppies* I can't exactly report you to the animal rights people, but all the same I shall side-eye you!

*No puppies actually sacrificed because that would be an awful, terrible, no good, very bad thing to do! Same with sacrificing kittens!

I wasn't able to sign in on my ipad or iphone for like...the better part of a year. Now that my desktop PC is set up on the kitchen table while the basement that had a teensy flood issue is being put back together good as new, I can log in here again! Of course I have less time to roam freely upon the internet these days, 4 foster kiddos will do that. 😛

@heartsmyface hi beautiful! Glad to have you back ❤️😘

Ooh @heartsmyface good to see you!1BBF5744-98D2-4503-B804-3151ACD7D988.gif

@heartsmyface I'm sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble signing in.  I had issues for the longest time, and only recently was able to get in the normal way.  If you have trouble again, I wanted to tell you what I did in case it works for you: I opened an "Incognito Window" and signed in from there.  Good to see you back 🙂

@heartsmyface Helloooooooo!!! Welcome back 🙂

7a4bd2cfbfedb58c3c8109d3b8a87808.gif

Yay, a @heartsmyfaceUnidentified sighting!

(Ignore the "Unidentified"...it's one of the fabulous new glitches in the ever-evolving supply of them around here 😒)

Need hair color pics STAT 😋

And perhaps, just maybe, you didn't sacrifice *enough* kittens 😹

Note- need more kittens!!! 

my hair is at a very common shade of dark brown.  I’ve been trying out this ‘normal’ people talk about (and trying to recoup my hair enough to continue on a color journey).  I’m not sure brown suits me though my hair is growing in all shiny for the first time in a while.  People see brown hair and expect some level of sanity though.  Then I open my mouth and destroy the illusion.  🤷🏻‍♀️ @RGbrown

@heartsmyfaceUnidentified

Normal schmormal 😋

Totally understand wanting to get it healthy and shiny again though...sometimes a break is necessary. Although I did come across your newest pic and it looks lovely! Suits you just fine 😊

I've had some temp colors hanging out in my closet for entirely too long now...totally forgot I even had them. I'm feeling a sudden urge to whip them out soon though. Without you being around, I almost forgot fun hair was a thing 😯 thank goodness you're back! 💜

I know tiny foundation sample sizes (in foils) have been mentioned here before. But I just wanna drop this photo here as proof that it is, in fact, possible for brands to send folks bigger samples, and any large brand that claims otherwise is lying. 

To be fair, Lancôme is known for their generously sized samples of many things. (That’s 20 total ml of their foundation in my hand.) And sure, all these larger sizes were offered via promo code at either Sephora or the brand’s site. And sometimes there are limited quantities of each available sample shade. But maybe this is how all brands should give away foundation samples, instead of mass-provided tiny foils—that, in my case, often don’t include my shade range, let alone a close-enough match. I’d rather have to enter a promo code and pick my shade(s) than play the tiny foil lottery. I usually lose the lottery, and the samples are too freakin’ small anyway. 

I thought about this again tonight as I went through all my baggies of samples. I’m donating some and giving away others. Seeing these larger foundation samples vs. foil samples brought it all back. 

ACFAA89F-2718-4FA4-89FC-E36E345A470F.jpeg

Agreed. I wish that companies, when offering codes, did t...

Agreed. I wish that companies, when offering codes, did this more often. Chances are, the random foil is going to omit a great basting of people.

1) When i ordered the super expensive palette from the expensive department store Neiman Marcus i'm looking at you and to find out they wrapped it on a cheap plastic envelope with no bubbles (even the worst eBayer has better package than that).  Of course, the whole palette is completely broken and becomes garbage.  Calling CS and they're telling me they no longer carry the item.  Worst, after i return the item, they will most likely forfeit the promotional GC i used to pay for part of the item.

2) My job ages me.  I need my job to pay for fun stuffs liked make ups and skincares and also other important things in life.  Sigh! It is a vicious circle.  

1 Reply
testing