Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

I can't understand it. I noticed that Sephora's RB didn't...

I can't understand it. I noticed that Sephora's RB didn't have any complexion items for a bit. Now, they have a couple but didn't offer many. At least they targeted more than one group. I'm tired of not being able to participate. I understand, now, how people can accrue thousands of points. When I first joined, I was so hyped I tried different things just to use my points but I've never requested complexion items or hair products. I can't. The beauty industry has to do better.

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

🙌🏼

Don't tell me there isn't any white-cast on my face, because we all know you wouldn't leave the store looking like this.

Right! Like, would you go to a formal occasion with your...

Right! Like, would you go to a formal occasion with your face this color? No? Then stop trying to sell it to me!

@HazelEyedQueen Part of me is incredulous that in 2018 this is STILL going on. The other part of me is not surprised at all. But seriously, in an industry that is OBSESSED with trends and the latest thing, why is it taking so long for companies to realize we all come in a multitude of shades and colors and we'd like to keep it that way? Last I checked, my money is just as green as everyone else's...

I was just talking about this the other day. Black women...

I was just talking about this the other day. Black women spend $7.5 BILLION on beauty yearly. We spend 80% more on cosmetics and twice as much on skin care as non-Black beauties. BUT there's still a fight for inclusion. I'm starting to believe it's because there's more money in having to buy multiple items to get one shade or outcome than there is in being able to get it right the first time. Even my beloved Sephora does it in their complexion and hair samples. When they had that foundation offer with different group's samples, the only one that may have had enough range was the Fenty sample. That's disappointing. I just keep racking up points, hoping to run across something, other than perfume and primer, that will work for me.

Re: I was just talking about this the other day. Black women...

@HazelEyedQueen Oooh, I didn't think of that whole "buy multiple shades to match" agenda, that's a bit sneaky yet very inline with how companies look at their bottom line these days. Profit over customer satisfaction? Check.

I think there's a lot of implicit and explicit biases in the beauty industry that may require new blood and more diverse people at the top/in decision making positions, to change the current attitudes and product mix. It's also a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy; there are some brands I never buy from because there's nothing that matches my needs, and those brands in return will probably not target my demographic with new products because we don't spend any cash on them. 

Re: I was just talking about this the other day. Black women...

I really feel that they should have the "if you build it, they will come" mentality that Fenty and indie products have had. Make the product and promote it. We'll buy it if it's actually for us. 

RE: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

I have a dear friend and fellow makeup addict but we seem to have complete opposite taste. Things I love, she hates and vise versa. Sometimes it's great because we can split GWPs and What not, but it hurts my heart 💔 a little when she poo poo's on a personal favorite.

I'm late to chime in here but No one else has and I'm fee...

I'm late to chime in here but No one else has and I'm feeling particularly psychoanalytical tonight. These are just *wild* hypotheses: 1) Have you considered the possibility that she may feel exactly the same way? Take a moment & pretend you're her. Get inside her head. Empathize. Now, ask yourself the question again. 2) How much 'makeup chatter' constitutes a slice on the pie-graph of your friendship? Seems like she's *really* harping on the make-up chit-chat, in what you're perceiving as a negative way. She could be afraid of a deeper, more authentic friendship with you and worry that the 'real' her won't measure up--that you'd reject her. Keeping things on a superficial level ensures her never having to take that risk. So whenever she senses things 'getting real/ceasing to be superficial' between you, she becomes nervous/anxious & tries to do the only thing she feels comfortable and competent enough around you to do; AND it comes off in a subtrusively angry way--unconscious anger at herself (that is misdirected at you) because deep down inside she truly enjoys and values your companionship and company and thus longs for that which she is fervently striving to prevent! 3)Or, do you think she's taking passive-aggressive jabs at you, emphatically and/or a-little-too-frequently vocalizing derogatory, overly-critical denouncements of your makeup choices in comparison to her own, in an immature effort to undermine your ego and feed hers because she feels diminished or threatened by you in some way (e.g. you're more popular/outgoing/have more 'Facebook friends'; have an adorable, doting boyfriend; are taller & have a smaller nose & longer lashes & bigger breasts, etc.)? I

I knew my first Sephora box from last week must be here when I heard FedEx throw something at my door. 😒  popped the contents right out of the DE night bright container. 

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Never fails buying a expensive palette, even if during the sale, still makes me throw up a little....
Anonymous Insider

Preach!   Honestly, I used to buy a ton of palettes back in the day.  More than I care to admit and more than I really used. I now make my own by buying singles but this year I've been seriously tempted by great palettes.  Just bought Soft Glam during the sale but am having a bit of buyer's remorse.  I think I just want to take it back and buy more singles.  That said, I am seriously crushing on a couple of palettes so... 

I can so relate. I bought a lot palettes this past year and I have way too many now but luckily a lot of nieces.  I see one on sale and have a discount code - I just can’t help myself. I am proud I got through the past week without another. For those in the same bucket, the animal rescue in my town has an annual fundraiser. I donated a basket of cruelty free products this way I get rid of what I haven’t used (still in perfect shape) and a tax donation for the price I paid. 

Oh no @MCSSavvy! I despise buyers remorse so I made a dea...

Oh no @MCSSavvy! I despise buyers remorse so I made a deal with myself before buying anything makeup related... 1. I "research" for a few days even weeks if it's stupid expensive (swatches, reviews,etc.) then finally add to my loves list 2. if it's a palette how many shades am I going to use regularly? more than half & its a brand I like, ok stays on my loves list 3. buy at deals, good promos, skincare- can i get it in a set? get the most bang for your buck
Anonymous Insider

Re: Oh no @MCSSavvy! I despise buyers remorse so I made a dea...

@sonnydee I totally relate!  I always do my research since I have issues with ingredients like fragrance (even EOs) and parabens, sulfates, phthalates, etc.  Perhaps this is a case of over researching and feeling a bit overwhelmed since some of the colors in the palette are a little out of my comfort zone. I looked at several palettes and had it narrowed down to three.  I've been extremely self-conscious since my second chemical injury that lead to daily hives and flushing.  On some days where I'd like to wear make-up I cannot because of the hives and/or flushing.  I like cool tones - Soft Glam has more warm tones than I've used in eons.  I like the colors but I feel rusty on application techniques.  So I'm going to play with a bit and if I still don't like it I'll take it back.  Buyers remorse of course because of the amount I spent this weekend!

Re: Oh no @MCSSavvy! I despise buyers remorse so I made a dea...

Ugh yes, sticker shock from this weekend is real 🤪

So today, inexplicably I woke up at 4 and could not fall back asleep. Yay. So I decided to attempt my full head mermaid hair with Arctic Fox. I spent 6 hours on the whole ordeal between bleach, color, wash, protein/deep conditioning treatment, etc. Only to discover that I have a BRIGHT YELLOW SPOT OF BLEACHED HAIR that I completely missed at the back of my crown, and that the area I dyed ‘purple’ cam out ‘dirty purple paintbrush rinse water brown” if that even makes sense. So,..... this week I will be rocking many ‘stylish hats and head wraps’ until I can get that nonsense locked down! On the upside, I slathered my face with Vaseline and rinsed in the kitchen sink so my bathroom does not look like I murdered an alien in there, nor did I dye my face blue so that I look like said alien. Silver linings.......

💙👽💙

@mermadelove I'm sorry! How frustrating. I've dyed my hair a lot of crazy colors but always had someone help me so doing it on your own without looking like you killed a rainbow in the sink is pretty darn hard.  You'll fix it and you can rock different covered looks this week. Embrace it! Hugs and cheers for tackling any beauty starting at 4am. If I did that I would look like a very sick unicorn.

@sprocketta 😂🤣😂

😵🌈=🤢🦄

Actually the rest of it looks pretty awesome considering the DIY. It’s all these different shades of blue and teal and black. Very “swirling ocean!” Except for the two oopsies I mentioned! Fortunately I have LOTS of hats, headbands, etc. 

Thanks for the encouragement! 

Once the sun decides to shine again, I’ll post a pic! We’re getting freezing rain here right now. I can hear it pinging off the windows. And yesterday it was 69 and gorgeous. 🤬

@mermadelove I can't wait to see! My job requires a more conventional appearance so I don't get to dye fun colors anymore so I'll live vicariously through your pics

Looking forward to them!

@sprocketta. I can go pretty crazy with hair and makeup where I live and still not be shocking. It’s definitely a perk!!! I’ll tag ou when I post pics!

testing