Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Oh no! That's shady. Can you get your sister to talk to the manager? What about having future orders sent to a trusted friend's house?

Re: RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

It does seem shady. She normally works Monday - Friday but she missed on that day so I asked her to check on it Thursday. Normally they put anything I have shipped in her office but she said she didn't find anything. So today she searched all over and asked the manager about it and he said he left it with the other incoming packages for that day but it's no where to be found. I'm so bummed about it. I was so excited about the gwp! and I'm running super low on my detangler I replenished in that order.

RE: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Two things. 1. So few cruelty-free brands in general 2. When brands don't make products for people of color-I'm white as can be and it drives me insane

RE: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

I totally get this. I have to mix an illamasqua white foundation in with any foundation I use because there is no color light enough for me ever! Ive tried many foundation lightening products but illamasqua works best!

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

I have a general pet peeve, but could be spun to be beauty-related. It might be a bit petty, but I don't care!

I work with a lot of men, not quite a generation older but kind of in between (so roughly 15-20 years older than I am) and they seriously do not know how to offer compliments. I have no problems with guys within my generation or those that are within 10 years of my age.

I frequently get comments on my outfits like:

- "You look so dressy today"

- "You look like a judge" (when I wore a black dress with white shirt and black bow tie around the neck)

- "You look like a schoolgirl" (same outfit as the one that received the judge comment)

- "Oh, new dress huh?"

- "Got an interview today or what?"

Thanks, but I didn't ask you for your observation. Comments like these actually make me really self-conscious. And then when I go "uhhh wha?" the response I get is usually "I just mean you look nice!"

So I'm supposed to immediately associate dressy, judge, SCHOOLGIRL (condescending and/or inappropriate much?), wearing new clothes as "looking nice"? Why not just simply say "you look very nice today!"? If I'm supposed to thank them for their "compliment", why not just truly compliment someone in the first place?

It's like someone saying "you're wearing a lot of lot of makeup today" and then adding "BUT it looks nice!" or "your hair is curly today"...thanks captain obvious, now what's the point?

don't even get me started on when they tell me to "smile!"

UGHHH

so glad I'm not the only one who's irked by the smiling comment @ElleElleG @jesscheems @MissPuff @heartsmyface @mrsbaine @blueviolet21 I also have RBF! I think I'd be leery of anyone who walks around with a smile constantly lol

The men who usually say this would never say this to another man; this just makes me think it's their awkward way of making conversation. I've actually responded to co-workers by saying "I'm working. I'm not gonna smile sitting at my desk like an idiot."

😄

Completely understand the annoyance @k617.  I'd like to think that most people really don't understand what it means to give a genuine complement anymore. 

And the smiling bit 😡😡. I have RBF get over it. I don't laugh & smile under direction and telling me to do so results in the nastiest look I can muster 100% of the time. 

To sum it up- it does feel pretty demeaning. I've had all sorts of comments. I find them odd and usually shrug them off. I don't know how they are 'compliments' though so go figure!! UGH that's horrible. I feel for you @k617 

Haha 'smile it's not that bad' ?? Like the one second you don't smile for them lmao 😛

I've got resting b*tch face so the "smile" thing happens all.the.time. It makes me want to stab someone. The older I get, the less patience I have for that type of nonsense.

Anyone who asks me to smile gets a Wallace and grommet smile.  Why not make it obvious that it's a fake smile and that their request is asking us to be fake? IMG_1874.JPG

RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Pet peeve..n when I comment a reply on a thread here and it scrolls all the way to the back to the top of the post after I submit the comment [or after I click on a picture].. plus this mobile keyboard is so dumb... for real

I feel your pain! I once got "Oooh! A skirt today! Why do you look so fancy?? Going on a date today??" A: NO and also none of their business! Why can't I just dress for myself?

The smile thing drives me bananas. Everyone tells me that. Uber drivers, baristas, men who work with me. Just no. 

I get told to smile too all the time. I was in a meeting earlier this week with about 30 people and I am quietly following along to the presentation and the presenter (a 50 something year old man) asks if there are questions. No one says a word. He looks at me and says "you're not smiling; what's your feedback?". Seriously? There are a ton of us at the table; and no one was smiling. So I gave him my feedback which caused him to wipe his smug smile off his face. It's tough out there. 

I get the impression that a lot of men say this cra....stuff, in order to throw women off, and put them on the defense with an easy out.  The out being that women are too sensitive.  Lol, I'm in a mood today.  

Comments like this throw me off but I usually try to save face and be like "Good.  That's what I was going for"

lol, I'm feeling riled up so clearly this is a sore spot for me as well.    The judge comment is ridiculous.  How do I know if that's a good thing or a bad thing?  Dude, were you just screwed over by a judge or does that mean I look respectable? The schoolgirl thing is just as confusing but more demeaning in that you're either being infantized or objectified. 😕 .  @k617 

the whole idea of a relaxed dress code makes no sense to me.  If there's a dress code then follow it.  'Relaxing' a dress code just tempts people to push boundaries even more as lower and lower standards are accepted.  

I get wanting to be comfy in a business setting, but critiquing someone for overdressing is just silly.  They probably see your being more professional than them as some sort of threat.  Besides, it's easier to dress down than it is to try to dress up and look more professional on a whim.  Overdressing wins every time!  @k617

Yeah @heartsmyface ! Sometimes if I appear offended, they react like I overreacted and was overly sensitive. What do they expect?

I hated the judge comment because it implies (without their clarification) that I'm dressed too over the top, dressed in costume, or not dressed appropriately for work. I believe I'm the one who is properly dressed for the office while the other men wear golf shirts and the same dress pants and sometimes even white socks with black shoes in the office.  I've seen women in the office wear ridiculous things like sheer tops with their bras showing or yoga pants and Uggs (none of these comply with the already very lax dress code, by the way), so maybe if I'm not dressed to that level, I'm overdressed.

I think I'm going to steal your "Good, that's what I'm going for." comment to end the conversation for next time!

@k617, I actually LOL'ed on this because I feel your pain! There is a cluelessness about them! I totally understand where you are coming from and the age group you're talking about! I once got "you look patriotic" when I wore red ankle pants. It's like they are trying to be complimentary, but haven't had to be in years and years, and so they fail miserably. Another pet peeve I have with this is when they call me "dear".... Um.... I'm not your "dear"... I get for them they mean little by it, but it's condescending to me. Each time they do it, I correct them by saying my first name. 

@mrsbaine I hate being called 'dear' or 'hun' because sometimes it's just to put a person down and they do a dang good job of it. 

I'm glad I'm in good company here! Yeah, I don't get the pants comment, and I get that it's highly unlikely a man will come up to you and say "I LOVEEEE your pants!" the way I do when I see another lady with an amazing outfit or a piece of clothing. But if you're uncomfortable complimenting someone outright in the first place, don't bother!!

The "dear" thing doesn't quite bother me as much... but I also don't get called "dear" very often! I think I send off a very "mean" vibe (gotta be tough in this industry as a woman!) that no man thinks I'm a dear to them LOL

another day, another automated email from Sephora telling me to hurry up and buy that out-of-stock item I keep checking on.

When you have this perfect image in your head of what an item looks like online and it arrives and looks exactly as shown online but it's just not right anyway.  I tried to get the whole room in there.  The stool looks out of place doesn't it?  Maybe remove the side table?  I need a home decorator!I tried to get the whole room in there. The stool looks out of place doesn't it? Maybe remove the side table? I need a home decorator!

1 Reply
testing