Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@k617, I actually LOL'ed on this because I feel your pain! There is a cluelessness about them! I totally understand where you are coming from and the age group you're talking about! I once got "you look patriotic" when I wore red ankle pants. It's like they are trying to be complimentary, but haven't had to be in years and years, and so they fail miserably. Another pet peeve I have with this is when they call me "dear".... Um.... I'm not your "dear"... I get for them they mean little by it, but it's condescending to me. Each time they do it, I correct them by saying my first name. 

@mrsbaine I hate being called 'dear' or 'hun' because sometimes it's just to put a person down and they do a dang good job of it. 

I'm glad I'm in good company here! Yeah, I don't get the pants comment, and I get that it's highly unlikely a man will come up to you and say "I LOVEEEE your pants!" the way I do when I see another lady with an amazing outfit or a piece of clothing. But if you're uncomfortable complimenting someone outright in the first place, don't bother!!

The "dear" thing doesn't quite bother me as much... but I also don't get called "dear" very often! I think I send off a very "mean" vibe (gotta be tough in this industry as a woman!) that no man thinks I'm a dear to them LOL

another day, another automated email from Sephora telling me to hurry up and buy that out-of-stock item I keep checking on.

When you have this perfect image in your head of what an item looks like online and it arrives and looks exactly as shown online but it's just not right anyway.  I tried to get the whole room in there.  The stool looks out of place doesn't it?  Maybe remove the side table?  I need a home decorator!I tried to get the whole room in there. The stool looks out of place doesn't it? Maybe remove the side table? I need a home decorator!

@heartsmyface  If only I could have a mirror that large 🙂

I think that the side table is fine, it looks very handy right where it is.

RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Yes I think removing the side table will help tremendously.. even though it is a cute idea/touch otherwise.. it just doesn't fit with the space once the stool is there

Re: RE: Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@DevlinSky I agree.  It's too much.  

Oh my goodness your Pikachu looks so cute 😄

happy pokemon pikachu peace sign GIF

I like the color of the blue chair but my biggest worry with that fabric would be that I would drop something on it an completely ruin it 😞 Looks super comfy though! Maybe incorporate some other pieces that have the same color? 

@heartsmyface what color is your room exactly? Is it a very pale pink? A beige? It's a little hard to read. 

@jozkid It's generic mass produced bone paint.  We haven't done anything to the walls.  Perhaps I should paint the room a white-teal....?  

@heartsmyface I worked a little photoshop magic. 🙂

Just added some more of that color up a little so it bounces around and balances the room a bitJust added some more of that color up a little so it bounces around and balances the room a bit

I loooove this!!! Now I'm wondering if I should do pops of teal as my added color for my bedroom which is where my vanity will do once it's refinished. I'm having major chair envy.

@k617 Okay.  I'm going to try and make the stool work.  It's probably going to be cheaper to accessorize than to find a new stool.  Lol, I'm probably not going to do anything I say I will at this point.  We'll see what I find out in the furniture district.

Hmmmmmm....that could work too...okay I need to think on this some and perhaps visit Home Sense for inspiration. I think the chair is losing my love and it needs to go but I'm taking all your ideas and starting fresh. 

Thank you everyone for your input:). I super appreciate that you ladies are here to help:) 

Yes! I love this @jozkid ! @heartsmyface I think that stool looks great...so glamourous and goes with the vanity! I think you just need some other similar pops of colour on the wall like joz's photoshopped picture, and it'll bring it all together.

I do this throughout my own house too 🙂 I have this red couch that went well with our old place but the new house is a bit more "modern" and doesn't quite fit with the whole vibe of the house. So we ended up putting pops of red all over the house (a black and white painting with a red tree and a red and white table runner in the dining room, red poufs in the living room, and red cookware that I leave out on the stove :D)

@heartsmyfaceI love it!  Such great space. You have nice wall space where you can add a piece of art or you could use silk flowers and change them throughout the different seasons so it's always a fresh new look.

The kiss.jpg   flora mirror.jpg

Omg that mirror is gorgeous!  It doesn't fit 'me' but boy is that ever nice to look at!   @AMK721

@heartsmyface A couple of things I notice. First, I really like the stool. Maybe you can use it in another room?

The mirror is really super big and high. Great for makeup, but it also raises the eyein the room. Most of the items in the room are mid level and lower which makes the mirror seem even more overwhelming and leaves a sort of gap between the very high mirror and the lower activity. The color of the stool is one that stands out (which is fine) but it's very squatty so the proportions seem a bit off 

Maybe add a taller chair (with a back?). Maybe add some more interest on the walls to fill in the visual gap between high and low? Items in the same teal to bounce that color up on the walls (if you keep the stool there). Just some ideas. Not a decorator but I am an illustrator/designer. Kind of looking at your room as a drawing 😉

Thank you so much!  Yeah I think the stool needs to be banished to my walk in closet.  I'm realizing it's something that I've always loved from afar but that doesn't fit my personal asthetic if that makes sense.  A black and silver chair would be way more "me".:). @jozkid

I definitely need to look at something for the walls. I've never paid much attention to wall art before but it's looking necessary to pull things together.  Lol, if I look at this from a face-of-makeup perspective it makes more sense:>

@heartsmyface  I think you feel like it's out of place because you have nothing else in that color in that room. Just like many have said below. You just need repetition so it fits in better you know.  Of course black or white would fit in now but if you want pops of color like the stool you'll need to find some decor and maybe even paint in that color family. That will make the space more harmonious. 🙂

testing